Apple announces new iPad Air (and mini)

nobius

"Well, we're gonna get that, for sure.  Maybe not this time, but the next time, right?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR8A3T6sPzU

For anyone who apparently deemed my post "trolling," you are wrong.  And you need to get a thicker skin.  Fraydog teed it up, and I drove the green.  I take advantage of those humorous opportunities in countless threads at S4GRU.

My post here was relevant commentary on iOS devices being behind the times, especially as that pertains to Sprint.  Plus, it was just sharp comedy.

If you cannot see and appreciate that, then you are in too deep with iOS apologetics.  At S4GRU, an iOS related thread is not your private sandbox.  Criticism is welcome.  Apple has been no friend to Sprint, so if any animosity bubbles to the surface, you should understand that.

AJ

• Like 2

For anyone who apparently deemed my post "trolling," you are wrong.  And you need to get a thicker skin.  Fraydog teed it up, and I drove the green.  I take advantage of those humorous opportunities in countless threads at S4GRU.

My post here was relevant commentary on iOS devices being behind the times, especially as that pertains to Sprint.  Plus, it was just sharp comedy.

If you cannot see and appreciate that, then you are in too deep with iOS apologetics.  At S4GRU, an iOS related thread is not your private sandbox.  Criticism is welcome.  Apple has been no friend to Sprint, so if any animosity bubbles to the surface, you should understand that.

AJ

I love it when people joke about my iPhone; most of the things they say are true and it's nice to know that Android user's have a sense of humor :) I use an iPhone because I'm an Apple person when it comes to mobile devices; I have always loved them and I most likely always will. That tri-band S4 is looking a little tempting though....

• Like 1

What Galaxy Tab has TD-LTE on Sprint?

Seems like the same statement applies to Samsung as well.  

That is not the point.  The point is, as in years past, Apple treats Sprint like a second class citizen.  Apple provides VZW a CDMA2000 iPhone; Sprint does not get the same until the next iPhone.  Apple provides VZW (and AT&T) an LTE capable iPad; Sprint does not get the same until the next iPad.  This year, with both iPhone and iPad, Apple leaves out band 41 TD-LTE 2600 for Sprint.  But you can practically guarantee to get that "the next time."

AJ

That is not the point. The point is, as in years past, Apple treats Sprint like a second class citizen. Apple provides VZW a CDMA2000 iPhone; Sprint does not get the same until the next iPhone. Apple provides VZW (and AT&T) an LTE capable iPad; Sprint does not get the same until the next iPad. This year, with both iPhone and iPad, Apple leaves out band 41 TD-LTE 2600 for Sprint. But you can practically guarantee to get that "the next time."

AJ

i guess, but nobody else has band 41 right now either so it's hard to be too upset at just them.

And they didn't have devices as soon as vzw or ATT because they hadn't had a contract with sprint yet. That's just as much sprints fault as Apple.

• Like 1

That is not the point. The point is, as in years past, Apple treats Sprint like a second class citizen. Apple provides VZW a CDMA2000 iPhone; Sprint does not get the same until the next iPhone. Apple provides VZW (and AT&T) an LTE capable iPad; Sprint does not get the same until the next iPad. This year, with both iPhone and iPad, Apple leaves out band 41 TD-LTE 2600 for Sprint. But you can practically guarantee to get that "the next time."

It's just business. Not sure why iHaters take it so personally.

And no phone released before or at the same time as the 5s had Band 41. Where is all the hate for every other manufacturer releasing phones on Sprint?

Edited by jtravers
  • Like 1

It's just business. Not sure why iHaters take it so personally. And no phone released before or at the same time as the 5s had Band 41. Where is all the hate for every other manufacturer releasing phones on Sprint?

No, that is just lack of knowledge on your part.  Multiple band 41 TD-LTE 2600 handsets were authorized prior to the authorization of the iPhone 5s/5c.

And that is the problem with Apple.  It used to be a scrappy, innovative company.  Now, it is a company obsessed with exclusion, domination, and profit.  That is a shame...

AJ

No, that is just lack of knowledge on your part. Multiple band 41 TD-LTE 2600 handsets were authorized prior to the authorization of the iPhone 5s/5c.

And that is the problem with Apple. It used to be a scrappy, innovative company. Now, it is a company obsessed with exclusion, domination, and profit. That is a shame...

AJ

Yeah, a scrappy, innovative company that almost went bankrupt. I'd say the iPhone was pretty innovative. You can't blame them for not wanting to sell their devices and computers at barely above cost. No one is forcing anyone to buy their products.

Like I said, it's just business. As much as we'd like them to be, I doubt Sprint is on the top of Apple's list of carriers to design phones around. It's good to see that they are incrementally improving when it comes to Sprint's bands, though -- single band LTE on the 5 and dual band on the 5s. If Apple had kept the 5s single band LTE on Sprint, that would have definitely been something to complain about.

AJ

At least I tried to find something that wasn't a phone that was on TD-LTE band 41. The Nokia Booklet was a really good laptop for a netbook. It's too bad that it was probably ahead of its time, and that was the primary reason it didn't sell. 

It's just business. Not sure why iHaters take it so personally. And no phone released before or at the same time as the 5s had Band 41. Where is all the hate for every other manufacturer releasing phones on Sprint?

See the Note 3 thread?

There's plenty of hate to go around, at least Apple had the sense to include band 26. If they really wanted to shaft Sprint they could have just chopped that band off as well. 

Isn't Apple the first manufacturer to sell a Sprint phone with band 26? Looks to me like if anyone is treating Sprint as second class it's Motorola. And Google with no Nexus 4 at all.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

Isn't Apple the first manufacturer to sell a Sprint phone with band 26? Looks to me like if anyone is treating Sprint as second class it's Motorola. And Google with no Nexus 4 at all.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

There was no CDMA Nexus 4 at all.  It's not like Verizon got that, but Sprint didn't.  The Nexus 4 was a test from Google to see if the economics and Google Play store model would work.  And now it is even being expanded to include Sprint the next incarnation.  Only Verizon left out this time.  And that's probably because they didn't want to play ball.

Robert

I bought the iPad Air today.  I ended up getting the 32GB Wifi-only model.  It's just too easy to just share somebody's phone's Internet connection when there's no Wifi around. 

I had toyed with getting the new model iPad mini, but because of the iPad Air's reduced width and weight, it seems like I'm holding a mini by comparison.  Much lighter, and the screen is amazing.

I bought the iPad Air today. I ended up getting the 32GB Wifi-only model. It's just too easy to just share somebody's phone's Internet connection when there's no Wifi around.

I had toyed with getting the new model iPad mini, but because of the iPad Air's reduced width and weight, it seems like I'm holding a mini by comparison. Much lighter, and the screen is amazing.

yeah the air is a pretty nice update over the 4th gen iPad. I think I'm going to get a retina mini instead though since the resolution and performance is basically identical but it's 100 bucks cheaper and is more portable.

I just hope they're in as good of supply as the air seems to be from the online store.

I'm glad they fixed the bezel on the air though. That really helps make that one very appealing to me.

I'd still like to hold out hope that a TD-LTE model would come out later, sort of like what I'm hoping happens when the China Mobile deal takes off with them finally carrying the iPhone.

The iPad mini Retina is available on the onine Apple Store right now for AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon, as well as without mobile capability. Odd to see a silent Apple launch but this has to do with limited availability. 

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-ipad/ipad-mini-retina

• Like 1

The iPad mini Retina is available on the onine Apple Store right now for AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon, as well as without mobile capability. Odd to see a silent Apple launch but this has to do with limited availability. 

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-ipad/ipad-mini-retina

The mini retina was in my local Sprint store in Visalia yesterday when I went in. Could have gotten one, but decided to wait right now.

The mini retina was in my local Sprint store in Visalia yesterday when I went in. Could have gotten one, but decided to wait right now.

How is it compared to the Air?  Thinking about getting my wife a mini for her birthday.

How is it compared to the Air?  Thinking about getting my wife a mini for her birthday.

They both looked great. But I find the mini easier to carry, and still it's light enough for me to want one more than the air.