ClearWire unlimted/unthrottled $49.99 vs $54.99 (new vs existing?)

MyTravels

And so, the crux of the matter.

Who is it to determine who actually 'needs' it, any more than any other user?

I am certainly not advocating the 600gig user, but who is to say he is any less important than the user who uses 600 meg?

Who is to say the 600 meg user is more important than the 6 gig user?

I don't recall ever advocating network abuse.

What I do advocate is network use.

And yes, I concede that my point was more towards under-utilization rather than non-utilization, but the concept is the same.

An un-used or under-used network that costs millions to build and run, is simply a waste of money and resources.

I can see the point to your argument.  However, WiMax is soon to be no more.  No more wasted resources.  That will put an end to that.  And the TD-LTE that will replace it will be for unlimited smartphone usage only.  Which will well-utilize the network.  So fear not!  :devilangel:

Robert

To quote you from the other thread;

That's exactly what it would be, if Black Hills Power offered unlimited electricity usage.  If Sprint metered data use like the power company, I'd say you could use as much as you're willing to pay for.  I was hoping you'd say that, even if in jest.

I have to strongly disagree here;

What if your electric bill was a flat rate included in your rent/house payment?

You seem to be contradicting yourself, implying that its ok to excessively use something just because it is may be metered and you pay more, versus a flat rate unlimited plan.

Abuse or "over" use is the same regardless if metered or flat rate.

People who leave the lights on (or the water running) all day when not really needed, even though they may be 'paying for it' by having a higher bill, does not mean its "ok".

Anyway, carry on!  :)

Abuse or "over" use is the same regardless if metered or flat rate.

Not really.

With a metered use commodity, cost provides the checks and balances.  And money tends to be quite effective in that regard.  During the winter, for example, I keep it a little chilly in my house because I do not want to pay hundreds of additional dollars per month to my natural gas provider. 

With an unlimited use commodity, there are no checks and balances.  And therein lies the problem for so many in our society because they lack self discipline.  They view the world as their oyster.  Everyone else, be damned.

As I have stated numerous times, though a certain faction may not like hearing this, people need limits.  Unlimited anything leads to unhealthy behaviors.  Bar none.

AJ

• Like 1

if only internet data was metered the same as utilities, not like how it currently is.

It should be.  Pay for what you use.  And there should be adequate infrastructure and competition to keep those metered rates low.  But in this current oligopolist, obstructionist system, all of that seems to be a pipe dream -- pardon the pun.

AJ

Not really.

With a metered use commodity, cost provides the checks and balances.  And money tends to be quite effective in that regard.  During the winter, for example, I keep it a little chilly in my house because I do not want to pay hundreds of additional dollars per month to my natural gas provider. 

With an unlimited use commodity, there are no checks and balances.  And therein lies the problem for so many in our society because they lack self discipline.  They view the world as their oyster.  Everyone else, be damned.

As I have stated numerous times, though a certain faction may not like hearing this, people need limits.  Unlimited anything leads to unhealthy behaviors.  Bar none.

AJ

I respectfully disagree quite strongly with several parts of this. If I get what you are saying correctly, that lack of limits lead to lack of discipline, there are several ways this is not (or does not have to be) the case.

You are correct on a few levels, but I believe it's a bit of a sandbox experiment. In other words, if a person is grown without limits, or "spoiled" as they say, and has no idea whatsoever what their dollar paying for unlimited commodities is actually worth in terms of their own usage, then I would agree they may grow to be unnecessarily excessive or irresponsible with their consumption.

This, however, does not mean that a human being cannot learn to grasp the concepts of responsibility and frugality, without necessarily having their usage limited arbitrarily. I call it arbitrary because you make it sound as if the biggest purpose for having limits is to discipline people into using commodities responsibly, and this most certainly would be arbitrary to a person like myself. I have a lot of things without limits, but through research and care out of interest, I am responsible and not excessive with my usage because I know what it costs the companies that provide me with unlimited services and also what it costs the other people that use those services if I behave inappropriately with my "unlimited" use.

Yes, having limits is a quick way to push that concept into the forefront of people's minds because the cost of their squandering will become apparent when a bill slaps them in the face, but it is most definitely not always necessary. I would be willing to agree that SOME people need limits, because there's always going to be that crowd in every society that takes that "everyone else, be damned" attitude and push their unlimited to the "limit" (so to speak), and I would also agree that in our society said crowd is getting scary large.

However, I will always fundamentally believe that if someone is wise enough to listen when the situation rationally explained to them, that they can learn responsibility without having a shackle placed on them in terms of how much they can use without being charged. They can learn to use their resources responsibly for the benefit of everyone's collective experience without being forcibly limited into doing so.

Furthermore, this type of bond leads to far better trust between the customer and the company than if the company doesn't give the customer the chance to be responsible and imposes limits from the start. This is the reason that I am with Sprint in the first place. I may be able to afford the data that I use on another carrier, maybe even for a better price. I actually WANT to stay with Sprint because they give me that option, it makes me feel free even if I don't need the freedom. It feels like they trust their customers, and a lot of people really like and respect that.

Apologies if I've ranted a bit, I'm trying to just have a respectful and polite discussion about my views and no offense to anyone was intended.

• Like 1

These are the two answers to my question, the rest seem to be off-topic.

As of October 1, there are two plan options. The $54.99 plan has download speed of 3-6 Mbps and upload is at 1.0 Mbps while the $39.99 plan has download speed of 1.5 Mbps and upload is at 500 Kbps.

My old $37.50 plan will not change as long I maintain it. If I fail to pay or go on a vacation hold, I can get only the $54.99 plan back

Does anyone know if I buy a hotspot from eBay if I can register it with a Clear plan?

Unless it has changed since the sprint take over, you should be able to register/activate a clear hotspot directly through the device.

A non-active hotspot has a captive portal which will re-direct you to clearwires account/billing system to register/re-activate the device, assuming there is an active wimax connection.

I have the clear spot voyager which I believe was the last wimax device they released.

I like it for the small size and decent battery life (6 hours maybe more depending on signal and usage).

I bought mine for $50 at best buy.

https://www.clear.com/devices/byod

I am not sure that I have the patience to write a longer rebuttal to dedub, but I what I interpret he means is that non utilization is poor resource utilization.

The problem with this perspective, as I stated earlier, is that wireless networks are rarely, if ever subject to non utilization.  Rather, dedub's issue is really with under utilization.  But I have no issue with under utilization because it means that congestion is far less likely, hence capacity is apt to be there for those who actually need it when they need it. 

To present an analogy, harping about under network utilization as poor resource utilization would be like stating that many highways are poor resource utilization because they are not constantly full of traffic.

And by the way, that guy who is using 600 GB of WiMAX per month is transferring on average 1.9 Mbps every second of every day.  That is abuse.

AJ

Why is usage abuse?

I have no better alternative available in my area and I work from home and in my line of work, we have to transfer a lot of data. Clear offered a service and I have two devices running and balance the load between private and business and I am sure a lot of people use a lot more and why not. I am paying for their service and Clear has never complained since 2009! So if Clear stops offering WiMax service, I will have to move my office into the city because there is no other broadband available.

Why is usage abuse?

At 600 GB, you are using on average about one fifth of the capacity of your sector every second of every day.  That is not abuse of Clearwire -- it is abuse of your fellow users of this shared resource.  But your username already seems to indicate that.

AJ

• Like 2

At 600 GB, you are using on average about one fifth of the capacity of your sector every second of every day.  That is not abuse of Clearwire -- it is abuse of your fellow users of this shared resource.  But your username already seems to indicate that.

AJ

So show me a better alternative? There is none and I pay for two devices so consider 300GB per device which is what I can find online pretty standard for Clear in some areas. Why should I throttle my usage, have Clear provide more capacity.

Jeeze.

Clear has always stated 3-6mbs, but it has never been hardcapped download speed, only upload speed.

Some days you get 1mbs, others can pull 10ish.

This is all dependent on tower traffic just like any other tower.

Its more like to be the case, that TDD LTE will be sucking up the bandwidth over wimax, just because LTE will be that much faster peak speed to begin with.

In any case, aside from any backend network prioritization, all backhaul traffic will be balanced equally based on load at that particular moment.

We have a WiMax portable router thing and I get 12 Mbps on average.

So show me a better alternative? There is none and I pay for two devices so consider 300GB per device which is what I can find online pretty standard for Clear in some areas. Why should I throttle my usage, have Clear provide more capacity.

It's easier just to throw you off.  That's what I'd do!   :wavey:

Robert

• Like 2

It's easier just to throw you off.  That's what I'd do!   :wavey:

Robert

Well Clear has been nice and accepting of my hunger since 2009 and I am sure they will not change their mind anytime soon.

Well Clear has been nice and accepting of my hunger since 2009 and I am sure they will not change their mind anytime soon.

Clear who?  Clearwire was bought out by Sprint, and virtually everything is changing.  So don't be too sure.

Robert

• Like 2

Clear who?  Clearwire was bought out by Sprint, and virtually everything is changing.  So don't be too sure.

Robert

That is true but I am sure Sprint is not making big changes to Clear's service before they shut down service in 2015

Maybe, instead of blaming Sprint, you should realize there are trade-offs for living in the sticks, and just be lucky that you have the option at all to get Clear where you live at all. 

With a good new broadband policy the US would be able to get fiber to everyone but there's no political will for that. 

Even most places in the sticks have some sort of access to some variety of wired broadband, so I don't know if I'm buying.

Nothing here; lets move on people..if Mr Hog is in the sticks and is using a UNDERUTILIZED tower..well thats ok I guess but like Fray above I'm not sure all of this adds up..

• Like 1

Nothing here; lets move on people..if Mr Hog is in the sticks and is using a UNDERUTILIZED tower..well thats ok I guess but like Fray above I'm not sure all of this adds up..

The real problem is that rural areas are not well covered and that wireless is the only solution. But some people actually work mobile and we should not be treated like outcast because we can't get real broadband. My neighbor got a Dish and he is so unhappy about their service and TWC decided not to build out in our area or provide cable.