New device authorization to cease if government shuts down

dedub

Dang, thanks obama

And thank the obstructionist GOP.  But we are not going down that path.  Partisan political discussion has no place at S4GRU.

AJ

We have the party of stupid and the party of stupid.  Which is stupider seems to depend on the day of the week, the direction the solar wind blows predominantly on that day, whichever direction more coins land coming out of the machines at the mint on that day, and whatever other nonsense.

As much as I have my own political views, events over the last few years really have me scratching my head as to if either major party even remembers what its true principles are, or which is more important between whatever is on its particular agenda and what is truly good for this country.

• Like 1

We have the party of stupid and the party of stupid.  Which is stupider seems to depend on the day of the week, the direction the solar wind blows predominantly on that day, whichever direction more coins land coming out of the machines at the mint on that day, and whatever other nonsense.

As much as I have my own political views, events over the last few years really have me scratching my head as to if either major party even remembers what its true principles are, or which is more important between whatever is on its particular agenda and what is truly good for this country.

While I agree with you, political discussions are not what S4GRU is for and I would say that we should stop there and try and keep this thread on topic and politics free.

Unless you're AJ trying to get the last quip in.  ;) 

Unless you're AJ trying to get the last quip in.  ;)

Yes, but my last word tends to be far more intelligent than "First."

AJ

• Like 1

There is at least one verizon customer who has a bag phone active on their account.

Their monthly plan is for 15 minutes or so.

A CDMA bag phone? Amps has been shutdown for years.

A CDMA bag phone? Amps has been shutdown for years.

I dont know the details, I just know someone called in with a bag phone listed on their account, with an ancient monthly plan. I dont think it was even a verizon plan, some older one.

Youd be surprised how many people there are paying for 20 minute plans (a month) with no roaming.

When will we realize there is no money left! The U.S. is -16 trillion, we might save some money if some people stay home for a week and the government stops wasting money on bullets and citizen surveillance. 

Unless you print your own MattDollars in your basement, household budgets and government budgets are nothing alike.

Another interesting fact: the US Mint strikes new coins every year. They hand them to the Federal Reserve bank, who then credits the US Treasury account with money it creates out of thin air (on a computer). There is no absolute requirement that the government fund deficits with debt, they could just as easily strike coins or give themselves a credit for nothing. If they do that faster than the economy grows or the Fed Reserve Bank doesn't offset it elsewhere it will cause inflation. The only reason the current system uses debt is to make it easier to track what governments spend and how much a currency is worth, it's not an intrinsic property of reality.

If the government pays down its total debt over time, that money has to come from somewhere (read: people's pockets), thus decreasing the overall money supply, unless the Federal Reserve takes steps to offset that by creating new money elsewhere. If the money supply doesn't outpace GDP, then fewer and fewer dollars are chasing the same amount of goods and that's called deflation. As long as the governments total debt doesn't grow faster than GDP, it can grow forever with no penalty, subject to interest rates.

Current interest rates on US government debt are currently so low that in many treasury auctions people take negative return (they *pay the US Government to hold their money for them*). Any deficit spending on infrastructure or other projects started now would be equivalent to your bank loaning you 200,000 to build a house and only asking you to pay back 190,000 over the life of the loan. We should all be so lucky.

That's how I felt with one day I finally got a raise after years and years then come to find out today my paycheck is going down even with the raise due to Obama. Thanks.

You can't make less money after a raise, that's not how income taxes work, though I am shocked at how many people seem to repeat this misconception. The only stuff that works like this are benefit programs for the poor, where one dollar over the cutoff gets you thrown out of the program (Medicaid for example).

I have limited my post to verifiable facts, I leave the opinionatin' to others.

• Like 1

Unless you print your own MattDollars in your basement, household budgets and government budgets are nothing alike.

Another interesting fact: the US Mint strikes new coins every year. They hand them to the Federal Reserve bank, who then credits the US Treasury account with money it creates out of thin air (on a computer). There is no absolute requirement that the government fund deficits with debt, they could just as easily strike coins or give themselves a credit for nothing. If they do that faster than the economy grows or the Fed Reserve Bank doesn't offset it elsewhere it will cause inflation. The only reason the current system uses debt is to make it easier to track what governments spend and how much a currency is worth, it's not an intrinsic property of reality.

If the government pays down its total debt over time, that money has to come from somewhere (read: people's pockets), thus decreasing the overall money supply, unless the Federal Reserve takes steps to offset that by creating new money elsewhere. If the money supply doesn't outpace GDP, then fewer and fewer dollars are chasing the same amount of goods and that's called deflation. As long as the governments total debt doesn't grow faster than GDP, it can grow forever with no penalty, subject to interest rates.

Current interest rates on US government debt are currently so low that in many treasury auctions people take negative return (they *pay the US Government to hold their money for them*). Any deficit spending on infrastructure or other projects started now would be equivalent to your bank loaning you 200,000 to build a house and only asking you to pay back 190,000 over the life of the loan. We should all be so lucky.

You can't make less money after a raise, that's not how income taxes work, though I am shocked at how many people seem to repeat this misconception. The only stuff that works like this are benefit programs for the poor, where one dollar over the cutoff gets you thrown out of the program (Medicaid for example).

I have limited my post to verifiable facts, I leave the opinionatin' to others.

I never said that but when your health care on your check goes up about 3 times more than what your raise is then now you make less money regardless of the raise.

• Like 1