Republic Wireless, Sprint LTE + Moto X

Nrbelex

Looks like Republic Wireless, an MVNO running via Sprint, is now offering access to Sprint's LTE network. They're also offering the Moto X for $299 off contract. Here are their new plans:

09-2013_PricingChart.jpg

As you can see, their top plan is "unlimited talk text and data" although the language doesn't make clear whether the cellular data connection is unlimited - I suspect not. Republic Wireless also uses custom software to favor wi-fi for voice and data wherever possible. Nonetheless, $40 a month is a pretty good deal to get a connection to Sprint's LTE network. The Moto X is a single-band device, but it'll be interesting to see if they offer a tri-band device in the future. That could have some serious appeal.

Thoughts?

Woah - that's pretty neat. It's definitely a cool idea; I've always liked what Republic was doing, it's just that the Motorola Defy (their only phone until now) is kinda... outdated and old. $300 for a Moto X is a great deal (considering it's $549.99 / $199.99 on Sprint), and hey, if you're on WiFi all the time, it should work great.

If I had decent WiFi at home (which I should, soon), I would consider switching to this. Well, once they get a tri-band device. You know.

If I had decent WiFi at home (which I should, soon), I would consider switching to this. Well, once they get a tri-band device. You know.

Uh oh, Koi has not had decent Wi-Fi at home???  He is an impostor.  Round up the posse.

AJ

Sounds even better than ting. What is the downside?

Roaming -- or its absence.

AJ

Roaming -- or its absence.

AJ

I was under the impression that voice/text roaming had been added. I demoed a Defy back when the service was first rolled out when Republic was selling 1900 only Defy handsets. The lack of being able roam on VZW or Alltel in my area made their service not an option for me. Shortly after returning my handset Republic started rolling out dual band handsets.

This is looking like a nice option for people who really don't use data that much or people that still carry feature phones.

Also if $299 off contract from Republic actually materializes I can't see how any of the carriers think anyone is going to pick up a Moto X for $200 on contract. Time will tell.

I was under the impression that voice/text roaming had been added. I demoed a Defy back when the service was first rolled out when Republic was selling 1900 only Defy handsets. The lack of being able roam on VZW or Alltel in my area made their service not an option for me. Shortly after returning my handset Republic started rolling out dual band handsets.

This is looking like a nice option for people who really don't use data that much or people that still carry feature phones.

Also if $299 off contract from Republic actually materializes I can't see how any of the carriers think anyone is going to pick up a Moto X for $200 on contract. Time will tell.

Looks like Motorola is sweeting the deal with $100 gift card when you trade in an existing Motorola smartphone. Republic is calling it the Jelly Bean rebate. Looks like this available to all carriers too.

Uh oh, Koi has not had decent Wi-Fi at home???  He is an impostor.  Round up the posse.

AJ

It's true, my home WiFi is terrible. I've been using my (6 GB capped) MiFi 500 on 3G lately, because it works better. I keep holding out for 800 LTE on DE34IP709...

I'll probably get this, and then have it sit on the $5 plan. My cost would be closer to $200 than $300 since I bought the Defy XT when it came out (and proceeded not to use it...whoops).

Plus, it gives me an excuse to get the Moto X :P

The big question is whether, several months down the road, I'd be willing to carry around a FreedomPop hotspot and this phone, on the $10 plan, and thus destroy my cell phone bill. Probably not, but the sheer idea of it is highly intriguing.

• Like 2

It's true, my home WiFi is terrible. I've been using my (6 GB capped) MiFi 500 on 3G lately, because it works better. I keep holding out for 800 LTE on DE34IP709...

One day I will get a fiberline out to you. Don't die on me.

-Will

• Like 2

Why sign up for the $5 plan when you can use google voice+ groove ip?

I would imagine just for the sheer simplicity of it, but to each is own.  I'm not currently on Republic, but think I might pickup the Moto X to see how their service is once they are out of beta.  I went over to some of the message boards at Republic to see how the technical hiccups are going these days.  Let's just say there are a whole bunch of upset people about the fact that their bill is going to increase from $19 a month up to $25/month even though they will get 10% off of that for being a beta user.  I guess it just goes to show that you can't make everyone happy all the time.  Even when you are giving them a $500 phone to them for $199 (when they trade in their Defy XT) and then offer them unlimited service of 3G for $25/month up to 5GBs.  

At least you have "HSI," I've got nothing at my new house...

One day I will get a fiberline out to you. Don't die on me.

-Will

Don't forget about me too :)

I would imagine just for the sheer simplicity of it, but to each is own.  I'm not currently on Republic, but think I might pickup the Moto X to see how their service is once they are out of beta.  I went over to some of the message boards at Republic to see how the technical hiccups are going these days.  Let's just say there are a whole bunch of upset people about the fact that their bill is going to increase from $19 a month up to $25/month even though they will get 10% off of that for being a beta user.  I guess it just goes to show that you can't make everyone happy all the time.  Even when you are giving them a $500 phone to them for $199 (when they trade in their Defy XT) and then offer them unlimited service of 3G for $25/month up to 5GBs.  

That's the tradeoff. RW is giving a big price break on the phone and trying to make it back on service.  Nothing wrong with that.

This is intriguing, but the caps make a massive difference.

I think that is sort of the point with Republic.  They are really looking to leverage wifi and then have the Sprint network and roaming partners as a fall back network.  Bandwidth, who is the parent company, is a voip, sip provider.

So freedompop, also using sprint, is offering FREE service

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/01/freedompop-launches-free-wireless-service/

But you have to pay money for an EVO Design. I would not pay money for an EVO Design, even if it did come with free phone service. BYOD, OTOH...

But you have to pay money for an EVO Design. I would not pay money for an EVO Design, even if it did come with free phone service.

It is both hilarious and sad that almost any two year old mid range smartphone is now the equivalent of a Ford Pinto...

t6ccr4.jpg

AJ

• Like 1

It is both hilarious and sad that almost any two year old mid range smartphone is now the equivalent of a Ford Pinto...

Posted Image

AJ

I would not have paid for the EVO Design when it was new. It's been a problem phone since I first saw it.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

I would not have paid for the EVO Design when it was new. It's been a problem phone since I first saw it.

So, the Ford Pinto parallel is perfectly apropos.

And I think MacinJosh had an EVO Design.  That makes sense, too.

:P

AJ

• Like 1

So, the Ford Pinto parallel is perfectly apropos.

And I think MacinJosh had an EVO Design. That makes sense, too.

:P

AJ

Nope, had the EVO Shift. And yes, it was on par with the Pinto in terms of performance.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2