Data issues?

riptig5199

I have been having a couple of data issues lately and just wondering if anyone else was having these.

One issue is when I'm in a lte zone where I am positive there is lte, it won't connect and it will say extended with the circle.

Another issue is when I'm connected to 3G it will sometimes cut out to extended and I know I have 3G where I am. Just wondering if anyone else was having these issues. If you know how to fix it, it would help a lot!!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Sent from my Awesome Sprint iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had that happen a few times when there's not a clean switchoff between 3G and LTE.  The iPhone will poll periodically for LTE when not on LTE, so eventually it will connect.

Not sure what the exact delay is, but the best way to force it to check is to turn on Airplane mode for a few moments then turn it back off.  It should then connect to LTE or 3G as needed.  Most likely you're in a borderline area with poor signal.

Try re-booting your iPhone once in a while. I have issues with bad handoffs a lot of the time, and when it gets really bad, a total reboot seems to help. (And no, I'm not in an LTE area yet, but soon.)

Your location says Ripon, WI.  There's not a lot of LTE out there, so a poor signal will cause your iPhone to go in and out of LTE.  Once more towers around you are accepted, it should improve.  If you become a sponsor, you can see maps of the area to see which towers have LTE.

Your location says Ripon, WI. There's not a lot of LTE out there, so a poor signal will cause your iPhone to go in and out of LTE. Once more towers around you are accepted, it should improve. If you become a sponsor, you can see maps of the area to see which towers have LTE.

I haven't found any lte out here

I haven't found any lte out here

You may also need to verify that the SIM card in your phone is the same card that is attached to your account. I bounced between activating my old 4s and my 5 on my account, and after doing so Sprint kept my 4s SIM ID number on my account. When I got into a LTE area, my 5 kept dumping to 1x (little 'o') which is what the phone does when it recognizes an LTE signal, but if your SIM ID doesn't show as activated the phone then goes back to 3G (or would get hung up on 1x). It took a bunch of calls to customer service to get this figured out, but once they got the proper SIM number attached to my account, ¡viola! LTE without issue! I haven't done this, but other members here have said you can update your SIM ID online by logging into your account, select the Manage this device drop down on your phone, then select Activate new SIM card - key in the SIM number on your account using the SIM that is actually in your phone. You can see your SIM ID number by pulling the SIM out, or just go to settings - general - about - ICCID. Since LTE is rolling out in your area I'd be willing to bet this is what is causing your issue.

You may also need to verify that the SIM card in your phone is the same card that is attached to your account. I bounced between activating my old 4s and my 5 on my account, and after doing so Sprint kept my 4s SIM ID number on my account. When I got into a LTE area, my 5 kept dumping to 1x (little 'o') which is what the phone does when it recognizes an LTE signal, but if your SIM ID doesn't show as activated the phone then goes back to 3G (or would get hung up on 1x). It took a bunch of calls to customer service to get this figured out, but once they got the proper SIM number attached to my account, ¡viola! LTE without issue! I haven't done this, but other members here have said you can update your SIM ID online by logging into your account, select the Manage this device drop down on your phone, then select Activate new SIM card - key in the SIM number on your account using the SIM that is actually in your phone. You can see your SIM ID number by pulling the SIM out, or just go to settings - general - about - ICCID. Since LTE is rolling out in your area I'd be willing to bet this is what is causing your issue.

I don't think that's the issue because I just switched to sprint and this is the first phone I've gotten from them

Also I'm not finding activate a new SIM card?

I would still try it, if I recall the other member that was having this issue had activated their new phone as well. I want to say it was in the Chicago thread for what it's worth - and I believe it fixed his issue. It definitely fixed mine, even though mine was caused by activating an old phone then re-activating my iPhone 5.

I logged in today and the "Activate New SIM" option is there:

http://i.imgur.com/RbzD1YP.png

Log into your account online; from the main screen scroll down to where you see your line / device listed. On the right side there should be a drop down menu under"Manage this device". Use that arrow to drop down to "Activate New Sim" and key in the ICCID that is listed in Settings - General - About - ICCID and then save.

asa5e9a4.jpg

I keep getting this error?

I'm not sure, maybe the correct ICCID is already attached to your account. You can always call customer service and have them verify the ICCID that is attached to your line. If it's the correct number perhaps you have a defective SIM which they'll replace for free. I'm no expert, so take my advice for what it's worth, but your "symptoms" sounds very familiar to what I experienced and having Cust Svc update my ICCID resolved my issues. I believe I had to reset network settings as well (that will clear out any wifi passwords you have, but otherwise is fairly harmless).

Posted Image

I keep getting this error?

I'm not sure, maybe the correct ICCID is already attached to your account. You can always call customer service and have them verify the ICCID that is attached to your line. If it's the correct number perhaps you have a defective SIM which they'll replace for free. I'm no expert, so take my advice for what it's worth, but your "symptoms" sounds very familiar to what I experienced and having Cust Svc update my ICCID resolved my issues. I believe I had to reset network settings as well (that will clear out any wifi passwords you have, but otherwise is fairly harmless).

I tried just resetting my network settings and will see what happens next to I go to Berlin or fond du lac

I tried just resetting my network settings and will see what happens next to I go to Berlin or fond du lac

I would also recommend dialing *2 and speaking to a Cust Svc rep to make sure your ICCID is correct as well.  Just tell them you want to confirm what ICCID number they have attached to your account.  They can do it easily and I think even run some diagnostics from their end to ensure the SIM is active in your handset.

In regards to your dropping 3G and roaming, this happens to me quite often in areas where Sprint is actively upgrading towers - in fact the tower by my office has been in and out for two weeks now and my phone has basically been useless, where the tower used to be very acceptable operating on the legacy equipment.  This could be the explanation since your phone will work on the EVDO (3G) network without regard to your SIM.  It may be a hardware issue, but I've seen some crazy stuff during this Network Vision upgrade process, so stick with it.  Become a sponsor here at S4GRU and you'll have access to an embedded Google Map of all the existing Sprint sites (towers) as well as all sites that have been upgraded / accepted to 3G / 4G by Sprint.  It could help you understand some of the network issues that you're experiencing (just be careful, once you drink the Kool-aid and become a sponsor, this site will consume you!)  There are a number of threads dedicated to Northern WI both on the Sponsor and general public side with many members scouting out towers and upgrades that could help you with your area as well.