Anyone using Signal 2?

burnout8488

I've been using the Signal 2 app on my jailbroken 4S to see which towers my phone has been connecting to. For the most part, it sort of works. The tower locations are way off on the map, but after looking at the sponsor maps, you can get an idea of which towers you're connecting to, even if the dots in the app are half a mile off. 

I was wondering if anyone else was having this issue with Sprint + Signal 2. Does this app work better for ATT/VZW customers, or is this just a flaw in the app for Sprint customers?

It would be cool if there was user access to the database Signal 2 gets its data from - I'd love to help make it more accurate, sort of like Wikipedia. 

I've been using the Signal 2 app on my jailbroken 4S to see which towers my phone has been connecting to. For the most part, it sort of works. The tower locations are way off on the map, but after looking at the sponsor maps, you can get an idea of which towers you're connecting to, even if the dots in the app are half a mile off.

I was wondering if anyone else was having this issue with Sprint + Signal 2. Does this app work better for ATT/VZW customers, or is this just a flaw in the app for Sprint customers?

It would be cool if there was user access to the database Signal 2 gets its data from - I'd love to help make it more accurate, sort of like Wikipedia.

It's how Sprint's cell sites are programmed. It has nothing to do with Signal 2. As far as I know, he doesn't even have a database. The app just stores locations of sites connected to as dots on the map. As for VZW customers, VZW blocks customer access to GPS coordinates for their cell sites.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Interesting... Do the Sprint sites give off very rough coordinates as to their location? Is that the issue with the bad location data?

Very market dependent. In some markets Sprint sites broadcast their exact locations. However in most, the broadcast three different points offset from the base location that correspond with the three sectors of the site. If you find each they are kind of arranged in a triangle around the site. Why some are accurate and others have the offset, we don't know.

Sent from my HTC ONE

Gotcha. Looks like I should have done a bit of research before buying the app. It's still somewhat useful though.

It's useful for what it is. It's Sprint that wasn't useful for the offset in GPS coordinates on their cell sectors.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

It's useful for what it is. It's Sprint that wasn't useful for the offset in GPS coordinates on their cell sectors.

It is not Sprint's job to provide "useful" site coordinates to consumers. It is Sprint's job to run its network as it sees fit.

AJ

I have a couple of Ntelos towers here in the Fredericksburg/Spotyslvania VA area that show that the tower is somewhere off the coast of Greenland. It also shows the same thing when I roam on Verizon at the same spot (I roam on verizon sometimes once I go into my work building or get no signal).  So is it a coordinates that the tower has that all the carriers use or just something that the carriers are doing?

It is not Sprint's job to provide "useful" site coordinates to consumers. It is Sprint's job to run its network as it sees fit.

AJ

Its Sprint job to provide us a good service to the best of there ability.  Even though providing useful coordinates is not a primary concern. But it would provide us a good service on weather or not there network would be good for us as a customer for work or home.  In doing this would give more respect from me as a customer. Instead of playing hide and go seek with towers.

AJ

You are right on that, but still some coordinates for local sites in the Tulare/ Visalia area show that I am in Southern California, and with A-GPS, that could be bad in the end.

I played with Signal back in like 2009 when I had AT&T.  It was fascinating but it just plotted random dots all over the map, put in some bug reports and suggestions and never saw any updates so thought they had abandoned it.  If Signal 2 came out, I'll have to revisit a jailbreak.