Microsoft to acquire Nokia device biz, take Windows Phone 8 primarily in house

WiWavelength

There you go, folks.  Largely the end of an era, Nokia appears to be exiting the handset business.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/microsoft-to-acquire-nokias-devices-services-business-license-nokias-patents-and-mapping-services-2013-09-02?reflink=MW_news_stmp

AJ

Hopefully microsoft is careful with integrating the nokia talent and patient with their device endeavors. Too many products launched and fled too soon by microsoft.

Sent from my Note II. Its so big.

There you go, folks.  Largely the end of an era, Nokia appears to be exiting the handset business.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/microsoft-to-acquire-nokias-devices-services-business-license-nokias-patents-and-mapping-services-2013-09-02?reflink=MW_news_stmp

AJ

I just knew this was eventually going to happen after Nokia shot themselves in the foot when they went all in on windows phone. 

• Like 1

I wonder if M$ was worried about Nokia adding Android to it's phones due to disappointing Windows Phone sales.

I am sure that once an agreement was made with microsoft back in february of 2011 that android was no longer an option.  I am not really sure how long the agreement was for though but I think we all can agree(then and now) that Nokia made a mistake partnering with microsoft.

• Like 4

I am sure that once an agreement was made with microsoft back in february of 2011 that android was no longer an option.  I am not really sure how long the agreement was for though but I think we all can agree(then and now) that Nokia made a mistake partnering with microsoft.

A Nokia Android would have been good for the company, IMO.

-Luis

• Like 1

Hopefully this will mean better integration, RIM is on the way out and MS can use the opening to get their foothold on the enterprise enviromente RIM is leaving behind, even if it is at a loss. Remember that MS is a very large corporation with many different businesses, some more lucrative than others, mobile sounds like a great way to give them other business. Banks give you toasters, MS will give you cheap phones that are secure and are turnkey solutions. Who know...

A Nokia Android would have been good for the company, IMO.

-Luis

Hell yeah it would have, I don't know about anyone else but I always wanted to see an android device by nokia.  As huge as nokia has been in the mobile industry in combination with the diversity of android, I wouldn't have been surprised if nokia turned into a close number # 2 right behind samsung.

Hopefully this will mean better integration, RIM is on the way out and MS can use the opening to get their foothold on the enterprise enviromente RIM is leaving behind, even if it is at a loss. Remember that MS is a very large corporation with many different businesses, some more lucrative than others, mobile sounds like a great way to give them other business. Banks give you toasters, MS will give you cheap phones that are secure and are turnkey solutions. Who know...

I think that RIM will probably be broken up into the BES group and the phone group. The BES group will then be absorbed by either Android or Apple. The phone group, who knows? How good is their patent portfolio?

The US isn't WInPhone's own market.

The Lumia 520/521 has actually done quite well for Nokia/MS in other markets, where people are more price-conscious (the phone is $100-$150 unsubsidized). In Mexico, WinPhone is actually above iOS and RIM in sales (behind Android of course).

Would I have liked to see a Lumia running Android? Sure. But Nokia's phones are high-end enough that people will put up with WinPhone due to hardware quality...and then find out that WinPhone isn't all that bad (it isn't my first choice, but really it isn't all that bad).

Let's face it: non-Nokia WinPhone devices haven't been anything to write home about. But the Lumias are very solid, and you've got the 520 on one end and the 1020 at the other...and that's what's keeping WinPhone from being an absolute footnote in history at this point.

As a web dev, I'm not a huge fan of having more devices running with IE to deal with. But the WinPhone 8 IE version is actually pretty good at rendering pages (as opposed to the atrocity that shipped with WinPhone 7), and I'll take it over older iOS browsers or Android 2.3, which is what you're getting at the Lumia 520 price point elsewhere.

I'd wager that partnering with MS was the least worst idea. Nokia got special privileges and some cash for going all in WP. The options were S60, Meego, Android, or WP. I just don't see Nokia unseating Samsung, they would have to take HTC out the picture and then steal some marketshare from everyone else to be viable on Android.

The N900 was released in 09, if Nokia would have went all in Meego then I think that would have been their best option..

I'd wager that partnering with MS was the least worst idea. Nokia got special privileges and some cash for going all in WP. The options were S60, Meego, Android, or WP. I just don't see Nokia unseating Samsung, they would have to take HTC out the picture and then steal some marketshare from everyone else to be viable on Android.

The N900 was released in 09, if Nokia would have went all in Meego then I think that would have been their best option..

I can understand going with wp being that they got a quick infuse of cash from MS but even back in 2009 nokia would have stood a better chance jumping on the android bandwagon than going all in on meego. 

I can understand going with wp being that they got a quick infuse of cash from MS but even back in 2009 nokia would have stood a better chance jumping on the android bandwagon than going all in on meego. 

In 2009 yea I think so back then Android and iOS were terrible compared to what they are now.. Especially since the major players got lost with the custom skins. I would imagine Nokia would have kept things simpler. But in 2011 I think the Android window was closed and WP was their last option. 

I seriously wonder what they were thinking by not going Meego, Android, or WP. Did they think the market was going to just reverse and people would trade their iPhones in for S60 devices. I can't imagine how they wasted so many years..

Here is something to think about. We know Nokia is now part of Microsoft, I just read on WMPowersuser the possibility of Microsoft buying Blackberry. What do you people think?

I wouldn't be surprised if that happens, honestly I am shocked that they haven't already sold out to someone else.  

Smart move. Corner the enterprise market and build a strong ecosystem. I always thought BB should go WP. They could own the enterprise market and be a strong third option in the consumer market. They could probably even over take apple in a few years, if they ecosystem is strong enough.

I wouldn't be surprised if that happens, honestly I am shocked that they haven't already sold out to someone else.  

It would help Microsoft, if they bought BB, but I don't see them making any big purchase so quickly.  BB, along with Nokia, would bring more talent and patents, but utlimately what Microsoft needs is strong leadership and someone with a vision who knows how to execute and sell a product. 

Edited by Makkari

• 2 months later...

I think this will be the end of AT&T carrier exclusivity of Lumia phones. Nokia needed the short term cash that AT&T gave for exclusive phones, but Microsoft's goals are more towards increased market share. I don't know that I would buy a Lumia, but the option would be nice without being forced to use AT&T.