iOS 7 CoreTelephony

nahum365

So I'm looking through the new iOS 7 headers, and my eyes catch a framework I've never really looked through before- CoreTelephony. I've read here on S4GRU that Apple would be opening CoreTelephony up and allow access to more information about the cellular connection. I've been thinking about making a SignalCheck-like app for iOS, and I realized CoreTelephony is what I've been looking for. But all they give access to is the signal strength (in bars -_-), the technology (EVDO, LTE, 1X), and surprisingly, the cell id. No RSRP or anything. No band or frequency of the connection. Huge let down.

So, my only option would be to use the private APIs and release it on Cydia, but planetbeing already has that covered with Signal and Signal 2. :(

• Like 1

So what are the options for "cool geeky telephony apps" on jailbroken IOS?  And it's still early yet.  We don't have a final release of IOS 7 so it remains to be seen if more features or hidden features will be unveiled in the API.

So what are the options for "cool geeky telephony apps" on jailbroken IOS?  And it's still early yet.  We don't have a final release of IOS 7 so it remains to be seen if more features or hidden features will be unveiled in the API.

It's possible, but I highly doubt it. I don't see why they would give the Cell ID, but not the band.  :pinch:

• 4 weeks later...

The Core Telephony framework been available and documented in the API since iOS 4.0.  However, Apple has only approved Apps using Core Telephony framework from carriers and not third party app developers.  If you look at the Core Telephony Framework Reference page in the iOS Developers Library you will find the documentation for the following classes:

CTCall
CTCallCenter
CTCarrier
CTTelephonyNetworkInfo

I guess Apple change their policy and allows applications using Core Telephony from third party app developers. I'd be interested to see Sensorly developers will finally release an iOS app that works like it's Android counterpart. 

• Like 1