The Iphone 5s & Iphone 5c [not Tri-Band LTE] (was "Next iPhone to be announced on September 10")

sbolen

Oh I agree with the fingerprint vs face unlock I just feel like they didn't really impress me I guess this time ya know?  Usually when an iphone is released I feel like I absolutely have to have it.  This one I definitely don't feel that way.

I was actually quite impressed--it exceeded my expectations by a large margin.

That said, if they had just taken the 5 and added an AWS radio for Verizon I would have felt like I absolutely had to have it. :P

I have a Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Galaxy S4, and LG F3 too, but the 5S will undoubtedly be my preferred device. Not to mention, Android devices can't access my work because they are a security cesspool. 

• Like 1

P.S one other thing I do like is the apps available for apple and I do like how iwork and iphoto and imovie are free now thats really cool.  Just the phone upgrade was disappointing to me and frustrating. 

The A7 is big, not just a bump in performance but the first 64 bit CPU in a smartphone.  It's not just a bit faster.  I went to Verizon last month with my wife to check out the S4 because I thought maybe the extra inch would be nice on the screen.  Turning off wifi I wanted to see how fast pages loaded. Sided by side with the agent next to me the older iphone 5 loaded pages consistently faster.  I was actually surprised since the S4 is newer and had beefier specs.  I then considered why.  We are comparing a 3 gig sized ( iOS ) operating system compared to a bigger 8 gig OS ( Android ) which needs more power and memory to run as smoothly.  I then turned brightness up 100% even the salesman said wow its considerably brighter.  He took his S4 out of his pocket and thought maybe the demo was somehow defective - it was not.  After that I realized I like the way the iPhone 5 functioned. I was used to that smoothness.  There's a lot more going on then screen size.  It probably won't be long until the iPhone 5s fingerprint sensor is copied.

I was actually quite impressed--it exceeded my expectations by a large margin.

That said, if they had just taken the 5 and added an AWS radio for Verizon I would have felt like I absolutely had to have it. :P

Good to know...I'm just curious on others thoughts compared to mine! 

You live in Columbus, OH? You just might have 2600 LTE already, and just don't know it. Take St. Louis as an example. No announcement of work, nothing to note that 2600 LTE is live, but it is, and has been tested. Clear is actively upgrading WiMax markets to LTE, it may have already happened in your area, but without a Tri-Band device, you wouldn't know it.

Well others in my market thread have said we don't have TD LTE 2600 .. considering we only have 2 LTE towers working within the Columbus outerbelt I find that very hard to believe we would, but I sure as hell won't get a hotspot on contract to find out.

Well others in my market thread have said we don't have TD LTE 2600 .. considering we only have 2 LTE towers working within the Columbus outerbelt I find that very hard to believe we would, but I sure as hell won't get a hotspot on contract to find out.

I wouldn't either. But look at Denver, only 6 active LTE towers in the actual city, yet the city is bathed in TD-LTE. Robert confirmed that. So the number of Sprint LTE towers does not correlate at all to what work Clear has been doing, and will continue to do.

• Like 2

Upgrading from iPhone 5, because I want the latest and greatest.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

It seems like such a minute update though.

I currently own a Note 2 and even though I'm like you, always wanting the latest and greatest. I was tempted by the HTC one and S4 because of the 1080p screen mainly. Faster processor not so much.

I just don't get why Apple fans are getting excited about the 5S. If I was an Apple fan I would be disappointed. Faster chip and a fingerprint scanner is all they really added.

I was hoping the 5S would have been an interesting possibility. Apple says it's the most forward thinking phone ever made. I just don't see how lack of nfc, lack of wifi ac, being cat3, missing band 41 and a 4" (is this still 2008?) screen can be classified as forward thinking. This feels for me similar to the iPad 3 debut... Just 2/3 of a real upgrade to warrant being "the next big thing". That's just my take on it. I am not bashing Apple. I have two Macs, an iPad, and more iPods over the years than Tribbles.

For those all complaining, name one Tri-band LTE device that'll be out on Sprint before the 5S.   I'll wait.    We know of one device in the pipe confirmed to have Tri-Band LTE.  It's out when?  November?   Not saying it isn't at some level disappointing, but hardly unexpected and it certainly is unfair to sit here and say it should have had it when no other device out around it will.  

I'll be upgrading from a 4S.  Pretty obvious why.  (everything).

The 5 to 5S you could argue still there are valid reasons.  What looks to be an improved camera.  Twice as fast device.  Slightly improved battery life.  LTE 800MHz support, Fingerprint reader...   I think the argument of 5 Vs 5S misses the reality that the vast majority of people upgrade once their two year agreement is over.  If you got a 5, you won't be eligible until basically teh iPhone [next] rumors are rampant and it's about to be released.... at the earliest.  By that time, it'll probably be a pretty significant upgrade again... just as the 4S -> 5S is.  And every two phones back.  

• Like 2

Actually it has, at least in Samsung markets. There are literally dozens of sites I've come across that are broadcasting 1x 800 but whose acceptances have not made it over to S4GRU yet.

Not to derail the topic, but it would be highly beneficial if you reported these "dozens" of sites in the Nebraska/Iowa market thread in the sponsors section. Thanks.

Aside from the rest of the things this thread turned in to, I certainly hope this wasn't directed at me, even in part.

No, though I disagree with your thinking it's a big deal that 2500 isn't included yet.

It seems like such a minute update though.

I currently own a Note 2 and even though I'm like you, always wanting the latest and greatest. I was tempted by the HTC one and S4 because of the 1080p screen mainly. Faster processor not so much.

I just don't get why Apple fans are getting excited about the 5S. If I was an Apple fan I would be disappointed. Faster chip and a fingerprint scanner is all they really added.

The "s" units are never supposed to be major updates though. We live in a two-year upgrade cycle world for subsidized devices, so half do it one year, half the other. I like the camera updates most personally, though I'm not upgrading my iPhone 5.

For those all complaining, name one Tri-band LTE device that'll be out on Sprint before the 5S.   I'll wait.    We know of one device in the pipe confirmed to have Tri-Band LTE.  It's out when?  November?   Not saying it isn't at some level disappointing, but hardly unexpected and it certainly is unfair to sit here and say it should have had it when no other device out around it will.

The MiFi 500? The other Netgear hotspot? The plug-in USB that's Tri-Band?

My statements have nothing to do with "complaining" or what's "fair" or not. It has everything to do with a major, flagship device that will sell millions on Sprint, being unable to use a key component of the new network. Which is... like you said... and I said... disappointing.

Much like other posters in this thread... I would advise you to not take it personally when people talk negatively about something you like. You're not an iPhone, you (presumably) don't work for Apple, so don't take it personally. Seriously. If you feel offended by people "complaining" and making "unfair" statements about the poor, abused iPhone, you may have some reevaluation you need to do...

No, though I disagree with your thinking it's a big deal that 2500 isn't included yet.

I know, and you're not changing my mind; I'll keep beating you over the head with 2017 until you agree  :lol:

I'd call a device or devices expected out in November (roughly a month) "out around it."

The MiFi 500? The other Netgear hotspot? The plug-in USB that's Tri-Band?

My statements have nothing to do with "complaining" or what's "fair" or not. It has everything to do with a major, flagship device that will sell millions on Sprint, being unable to use a key component of the new network. Which is... like you said... and I said... disappointing.

Much like other posters in this thread... I would advise you to not take it personally when people talk negatively about something you like. You're not an iPhone, you (presumably) don't work for Apple, so don't take it personally. Seriously. If you feel offended by people "complaining" and making "unfair" statements about the poor, abused iPhone, you may have some reevaluation you need to do...

I know, and you're not changing my mind; I'll keep beating you over the head with 2017 until you agree :lol:

By then I'll be running a quad-band iPhone 7. :)
  • Like 1

I'm likely upgrading to the 5S with one of the Duopolists, because where I live there isn't a choice.  Sorry I'm not counting Alltel because I still think that's going to AT&T even with the prepaid phone hiccup. 

Sprint can't work where I live because of this coverage.  

ScreenShot2013-09-10at110932PM_zps13b048

If anything I'm doing Sprint a favor by not getting a phone here although they do sell to 62233. It is advertised as limited coverage on Sprint's site. 

I'd call a device or devices expected out in November (roughly a month) "out around it."

I wouldn't.

and while yes, MiFi devices are out, you certainly cannot make or receive calls with them.  Those always come before phones.  

Fact is you cannot expect Apple of all people, who have NEVER lead the market with cellular tech adoption, to be first out of the gate with a Tri-band phone.  The first iPhone didn't even support 3G.  the 4S didn't support LTE.... it's pretty silly to expect them to support TDD-LTE on a band that one carrier in the US uses, and only for the past month or so has it even been launched.... in eight cities.  

I consider us to be fortunate (though I expected it) that they even support 800MHz LTE with how pitiful they've been at adoption of new tech.  I mean the 5S doesn't even support 802.11ac.  That's absurd.  "Most forward-thinking phone" my ass.  

and lastly, I'm not offended that people aren't thrilled with everything about the 5S, it's just irritating listening to the whining about something "Missing" they had zero reason to believe would be in the cards in the first place.  

• Like 1

I am not to concern about the lack of 2.6 and well probably upgrade my 5 to a 5s. With the speed sprint is rolling out nv 1.0 I wouldn't be surprised is they are still working on it until the end of 2014, so I can imagine a nation wide roll out being complete until the end of 2014 at the earliest. So I'll either sell the 5s and buy the 6 or take advantage of sprint's not well publicized early upgrade program. I am a little miffed that I will have to get a new phone in a year but if I am being honest with myself I was going to do that anyway. But apple has a long term problem in their phones lagging the competition, the superior design will only get them so far. And if sells ever slip they'll lose out on carriers being willing to subsidizes the iPhone more than other smart phones.

and while yes, MiFi devices are out, you certainly cannot make or receive calls with them.  Those always come before phones.  

I can make a phone call on my MiFi 500 just fine; it's called VoIP. Sure, that takes a secondary device - but when it comes down to it, the technology for a cellular baseband is done, completed, and ready to go. Putting in microphones and earpieces should be the easy part, and really have nothing to do with the frequency bands a device operates on.

I figured you'd come back with this excuse, anyways. The fact of the matter is, you said

For those all complaining, name one Tri-band LTE device that'll be out on Sprint before the 5S.   I'll wait.
Which, besides your attacking tone I have already addressed - you said "device". Not "phone". It connects to the same networks in the same way, therefore it satisfies your original conditions. Suggesting that this does not is, well, simply backpedaling. Frankly, I'm willing to drop it, as it actually undermines the rest of your points a bit.

It's clear that nobody thought there was "zero" reason to have Tri-Band capabilities. Simply scroll around this subforum for a bit and find posts by various people speculating on it.

As for the rest of your post, I find it moot in the light that we both agree that it's disappointing.

• Like 1

Not to derail the topic, but it would be highly beneficial if you reported these "dozens" of sites in the Nebraska/Iowa market thread in the sponsors section. Thanks.

I apologize, I should have been more specific. While I have caught glimpses of the occasional 1x 800 signal in East Iowa (not long enough to isolate the source beyond a doubt), I was mostly referring to the Chicago and Central Illinois markets. Of course as soon as I have firm evidence of 1x 800 anywhere in Iowa (particularly if it's no longer using the testing SID 22429) I will be sure to let you guys know.

• Like 1

Many of you are greatly over exaggerating the amount of work needed to deploy TD-LTE and overestimating the amount of time it takes to overlay all existing wimax sites. A new TD-LTE site is a simple 3 hybridflex cables + 3 RRUs + 3 antenna addition and addition to existing base stations. This is very minimal compared to the amount of work that a full build NV site takes (60-90 days) and can be done in an average of 30 days. A simple TD-LTE RRU swap and retrofit of cabinet takes at most two days and minimal permitting (no fire, structural, engineering, safety required). 

Also members and sponsors, if you continue to be so defensive and argumentative in the face of criticism instead of approaching it with an open mind and considering of others viewpoints or opinions; infractions will be given out. 

I am surprised that people aren't pleasantly surprised instead of disappointed! I mean this will still be one of the first Sprint devices with LTE 800, and, considering Apple's record, that's pretty damn cutting edge for them. In addition, in terms of perceived user experience, the reach and in building penetration characteristics of LTE 800 will make a much larger difference. Also, if you consider that almost every other major Sprint phone from here on out will be triband, they'll be sitting on 2600 LTE when it's available leaving LTE 1900 and 800 much less burdened. Finally, we know that at some point in the future Sprint very possibly will add a 10x10 PCS LTE carrier this phone would be able to take advantage of.

This is all a big hullabaloo about nothing, especially considering, like I said, that Apple's modus operandi is to be one step behind.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 2

I'm not likely to own an iPhone 5S, or C anytime in the future; however I suspect 3 member in my family will be on board with them when we renew with Sprint next month. As of yesterday Sprint Lte now covers 4 out of 5 of our plan members homes so the decision was (almost) unanimous. 

And one final thing...

Band 38 is included within the superset band 41, and they have nearly the same middle range. Is it possible with band 38 capabilities that, in some instances, this iPhone might be able to take partial advantage of Sprint's TD-LTE?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

And one final thing...

Band 38 is included within the superset band 41, and they have nearly the same middle range. Is it possible with band 38 capabilities that, in some instances, this iPhone might be able to take partial advantage of Sprint's TD-LTE?

No, as the British would say, not bloody likely.  I put together a spreadsheet of WiMAX carrier assignments.  Then, I added in the TD-LTE carrier assignment in Denver.  As makes sense, the TD-LTE carrier is in licensed, contiguous BRS spectrum, not leased EBS spectrum.  And that does not correspond with band 38.

2e33h4h.png

AJ

I am surprised that people aren't pleasantly surprised instead of disappointed!

Put me down as pleasantly surprised. Even their mid-priced iPhone 5c has the 800 band? I was not expecting that for sure.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1