The Iphone 5s & Iphone 5c [not Tri-Band LTE] (was "Next iPhone to be announced on September 10")

sbolen

Just because Sensorly isn't capable of mapping on iOS right now, doesn't mean that once iOS 7 is released that it can't be updated to support it. For me, iOS is more viable of an operating system than Android after I went through 4 defective phones in a one year period. I'm still willing to give Android another shot later down the road, but not right now.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Totally just playing... BUT it WOULD be awesome if Sensorly was able to work under iOS7.

Totally just playing... BUT it WOULD be awesome if Sensorly was able to work under iOS7.

That's what we are all hoping for. It's expensive to maintain a 2nd line just for Sensorly mapping. I can't afford that either.

Just because Sensorly isn't capable of mapping on iOS right now, doesn't mean that once iOS 7 is released that it can't be updated to support it. For me, iOS is more viable of an operating system than Android after I went through 4 defective phones in a one year period. I'm still willing to give Android another shot later down the road, but not right now.

Well you did have like 2 of the worst phones if I remember right.

• Like 1

Well you did have like 2 of the worst phones if I remember right.

I'm sure they were, but even then, the EVO Shift was worse than both of those phones, and both of mine worked great! If the first one hadn't been stolen from me, I would never had gotten a second one.

Idk.. Android 4.1+ is sooo much better

For me, it is either LG G2 or iPhone 5S.  Currently, I have both OS in my house...I have Note 2 and my wife iP5.  Personally, I prefer iOS because it is more stable.  The problem with Android is that every 6 months or so, you need to restore your phone to factory to keep it running smoothly...just did that with my Note 2.  Some authentic Play Store app install extra crap on your phone...and thus, over time, it builds up in your memory/phone...and partly causes lags and crashes. 

I like Android because it has the big screen...less squinting for me (thus, eye fatigue).  Yeah, customization is great.  But, I still need to pull the battery once in a while or, as noted above, restore the phone to keep it running optimally.  My Note 2 is running factory 4.1.2...and have never installed non-Play apps.  I also particularly like it when my playlist suddenly disappear from phone! 

iOS may be boring, but it is stable.  If I delete an app, everything goes out, nothing is left behind.  iTunes also makes restore (from backup) extremely easy since it remembers everything (including your ringtones for specific contact).  And if I decide to buy a movie from iTunes, I know that it is high quality (1080p).  Google Play movies are far from 1080p quality...crappy quality in fact!  In addition, music selection is better on iTunes with good quality. 

iOS 7 also looks to be quite good...yeah, it copies other OS, but that's OK for me, the end user.  iOS7 bridges some of the missing elements of iOS6. 

Kind of like Facetime or iMessage, Apple may copy others, but they make it much easier to use, smoother, and more dependable!  As an end user, I love that!  I don't need bleeding edge technology when it fails repeatedly!  That is useless to me.  Apple reminds me of Toyota...copying other car manufacturer's tech (BMW & Mercedes) and then refining it to make it reliable.

And don't forget Apple's great aftersale support, both hardware (Apple Store) and software (your device getting latest updates for at least 2 years and beyond).

Edited by Thai
  • Like 4

On another note, given that iP5S is coming out in one month, shouldn't we be seeing some sort of FCC filing by now?  Did I miss it?  Or does Apple do it real close to announcement?

Edited by Thai

On another note, given that iP5S is coming out in one month, shouldn't we be seeing some sort of FCC filing by now? Did I miss it? Or does Apple do it real close to announcement?

FCC docs for each iPhone are released the same day after the announcement.

On another note, given that iP5S is coming out in one month, shouldn't we be seeing some sort of FCC filing by now?  Did I miss it?  Or does Apple do it real close to announcement?

Apple does it like the day before of day OF announcement...

Guys...let's be respectful of people's choice of smartphone platform. iOS is a perfectly viable platform for many S4GRU members. There really isn't a better OS, there is just a better one for you. I may start removing pointless/unhelpful comments about iOS or Android made by fanboys. Let's keep our comments constructive! Thanks.Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

Well said. This is a Sprint Network Forum, not a measuring stick forum. :)

I was actually trying to be funny. Seems everybody gets excited when somebody talks about Android in a iPhone thread and vis-versa. I forgot to add the smiley face. :) I'm an iPhone convert (from Android). I still love Android, especially the newest iteration. iPhone just works better for me and my wife. I prefer Apple's ecosystem. I wish I could have both, honestly. Especially when the new TriBand phones come out.

Let me toss another bone into this then..i'm going z30 once it's released.. :)

Me and my wife go back and forth teasing about Android vs apple.  My daughter wants an iphone..i'm going BB10 and she gets my frankenphone for now..:)

For me, it is either LG G2 or iPhone 5S.  Currently, I have both OS in my house...I have Note 2 and my wife iP5.  Personally, I prefer iOS because it is more stable.  The problem with Android is that every 6 months or so, you need to restore your phone to factory to keep it running smoothly...just did that with my Note 2.  Some authentic Play Store app install extra crap on your phone...and thus, over time, it builds up in your memory/phone...and partly causes lags and crashes. 

I like Android because it has the big screen...less squinting for me (thus, eye fatigue).  Yeah, customization is great.  But, I still need to pull the battery once in a while or, as noted above, restore the phone to keep it running optimally.  My Note 2 is running factory 4.1.2...and have never installed non-Play apps.  I also particularly like it when my playlist suddenly disappear from phone! 

iOS may be boring, but it is stable.  If I delete an app, everything goes out, nothing is left behind.  iTunes also makes restore (from backup) extremely easy since it remembers everything (including your ringtones for specific contact).  And if I decide to buy a movie from iTunes, I know that it is high quality (1080p).  Google Play movies are far from 1080p quality...crappy quality in fact!  In addition, music selection is better on iTunes with good quality. 

iOS 7 also looks to be quite good...yeah, it copies other OS, but that's OK for me, the end user.  iOS7 bridges some of the missing elements of iOS6. 

Kind of like Facetime or iMessage, Apple may copy others, but they make it much easier to use, smoother, and more dependable!  As an end user, I love that!  I don't need bleeding edge technology when it fails repeatedly!  That is useless to me.  Apple reminds me of Toyota...copying other car manufacturer's tech (BMW & Mercedes) and then refining it to make it reliable.

And don't forget Apple's great aftersale support, both hardware (Apple Store) and software (your device getting latest updates for at least 2 years and beyond).

I don't have that issue on my GNEX..of course it's pure android without the carrier or handset garbage as well...:)

Oh man. This means this one will launch at $200, the iPhone 4 will go EOL, the 5 will become $100, and the 4S will become free at POS with an upgrade or new line activation. Siri for everyone!

(Personally, due to things like LTE and BC10 CDMA, I'm hoping they announce a "low-cost" iPhone for the "free" category and just drop the 4 and 4S entirely. But, that's a Sprint-centric viewpoint)

I Believe that what Apple is doing from the Articles that i've read Apple plans to get rid of the iPhone 4 & 4S . They plan to release an iPhone can the iPhone 5C it's gonna be an iPhone 5 in colors but cheaper & is targeted at the lower markets & the cheaper consumers. The iPhone 5 will most likely remain & be kept as the 3rd phone. I'm just speculating here. So if i'm correct it'll be The iPhone 5S ($200), The iPhone 5 ($100) & The iPhone 5C (FREE).

Heres pictures

http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/iphone_5s_iphone_5c-22.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by IsaiahL

I don't have that issue on my GNEX..of course it's pure android without the carrier or handset garbage as well...:)

Garbage is that Nexus 7 (2012). But then again, I got what I paid for it.

• Like 2

Price isn't everything..the build quality of the gs4 doesn't live up to its pricing

To be fair, Samsung GS3/4 (and Note 2) have fabulous cell reception!  My Note 2 handily beats my iPhone 5 in my house (both on same carrier).  iPhone 5 has to rely on Sprint Airave to get signal...my Note 2 does not.  LTE and Wifi reception also beats iP5. 

So, with each, you win some, you lose some.  For me, I like to have good cell signal because my phone is also my work phone and pager.  I am really hoping that iP5S will have some upgrades to its antennas.

These are my personal testing at my house...not sure what you guys have found in scientific testing.

(BTW, I also found that Otterbox Defender improves iP5 cell signal significantly!  Weird...)

Edited by Thai

To be fair, Samsung GS3/4 (and Note 2) have fabulous cell reception! My Note 2 handily beats my iPhone 5 in my house (both on same carrier). iPhone 5 has to rely on Sprint Airave to get signal...my Note 2 does not. LTE and Wifi reception also beats iP5.

So, with each, you win some, you lose some. For me, I like to have good cell signal because my phone is also my work phone and pager. I am really hoping that iP5S will have some upgrades to its antennas.

These are my personal testing at my house...not sure what you guys have found in scientific testing.

(BTW, I also found that Otterbox Defender improves iP5 cell signal significantly! Weird...)

My Defender was weakening my RF. I took it off, and lo and behold- I now have a 2-dot LTE signal in my house! I ordered a new case, should come tomorrow. :)

EDIT: If (and only if) the 5S is triband on Sprint, I'll sell my 5 and buy it. If not, I'm waiting for my upgrade and switching to the dark side. :P

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

My Defender was weakening my RF. I took it off, and lo and behold- I now have a 2-dot LTE signal in my house! I ordered a new case, should come tomorrow. :) EDIT: If (and only if) the 5S is triband on Sprint, I'll sell my 5 and buy it. If not, I'm waiting for my upgrade and switching to the dark side. :P Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wow, that's odd.  I tested both iP5 with and without Defender...and it was a clear difference...less dropped calls and clearer conversation. 

Wow, that's odd. I tested both iP5 with and without Defender...and it was a clear difference...less dropped calls and clearer conversation.

I found this to be true as well. My otterbox Defender series case improved signal drastically. Whenever I take the case off the iPhone 5, I loose a good-bit of measurable signal and my data speeds slow drastically. This is while I'm holding the phone in my hands. I've never tested with the phone on a table. But I can say that I did test this about 30 different times in about 3 or 4 different places and had the exact same results. The Otterbox improved signal significantly when hand-holding the iPhone 5.

I found this to be true as well. My otterbox Defender series case improved signal drastically. Whenever I take the case off the iPhone 5, I loose a good-bit of measurable signal and my data speeds slow drastically. This is while I'm holding the phone in my hands. I've never tested with the phone on a table. But I can say that I did test this about 30 different times in about 3 or 4 different places and had the exact same results. The Otterbox improved signal significantly when hand-holding the iPhone 5.

Thank goodness I am not crazy!

I like to think I remain contructive in all posts, hope I am anyways...

On the other hand, iOS is totally not viable for the S4GRU community... NO SENSORLY!

The release notes say that part of the carrier API has been officially opened up to allow querying cell type, signal strength, etc. I haven't checked to see if it really is there and works yet and sometimes things change before official release, but in theory Sensorly should work on iOS 7. There is also a carrier authentication part but that's only open to official carrier apps right now - it lets you validate the user's carrier account without a login.

• Like 4

I usually keep my iPhone au natural, but I may want to look into an Otterbox case if it helps with signal that much...

I usually keep my iPhone au natural, but I may want to look into an Otterbox case if it helps with signal that much...

Oh, trust me. I prefer Au Natural for my I5, but I tend to be hard on my phone. So, the Defender Series is a must. I was very surprised to find that I was actually hampering reception by hand-holding the phone without the case. I was almost certain it would be the other-way-around, which is why I tested it.

I really don't think Apple has totally fixed the antenna-gate issue from the 4 days. I know it's better than before, but I don't think it's totally fixed.

• Like 1

Gaining more credence to a possible September 10 announcement and September 20 release, this article was posted on phonearena.com stating that a reader, who is a Sprint employee, was notified that the iPhone retail section of the store have to be updated by September 16.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/New-iPhone-expected-on-Sprint-in-mid-September_id46653

• Like 1

Gaining more credence to a possible September 10 announcement and September 20 release, this article was posted on phonearena.com stating that a reader, who is a Sprint employee, was notified that the iPhone retail section of the store have to be updated by September 16.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/New-iPhone-expected-on-Sprint-in-mid-September_id46653

They could be gearing up changes for the new note 3 as well ;). But tbh, I actually mite like this version and over hauled iOS. It's long over due.