Asus Nexus tablet confirmed by sources, launching as early as May

pyroscott

Although it wasn't confirmed by Google or Asus, sources for Digitimes have revealed that Asus will build the rumored 7 inch Nexus tablet aimed squarely at the budget market currently dominated by Kindle Fire.

Among potential partners, HTC had strong design capability but insisted on directing development of the co-brand model and was unwilling to develop a low-price model to impair its brand image, while Acer did not have in-house R&D capability, the sources indicated. Google finally selected Asustek because of its ODM capability and good product quality, the sources claimed.

Even though the Xoom didn't really blow any doors off when it was released, the partnership on this tablet can put Asus even further "on the map" as an Android tablet manufacturer. The honeycomb platform was good for advancing Android tablets, but people want their phone and tablet on the same operating system. It is a pain to even switch off between Sense and Touchwiz, let alone Gingerbread and Honeycomb. The combination of a budget-friendly tablet and premium construction from Asus should sell in mass and could steal away iPad customers on a budget, where the Kindle Fire has failed thanks to some features absent from the Fire. Now we just need some leaks on the specs.

Source http://www.digitimes...20308PD215.html

I'm looking forward to seeing what this Google tablet will do. The initial specs look promising, but I'm waiting to see what sort of memory it will have and final form factor. Although I think I would prefer a 10" Google tablet, for the right price I my have to take this one for a test drive.

If they hit the $200 price point, and allow SD memory expansion, you really can't go wrong with this tablet. I am also likely to wait for the 10 inch tablet that is rumored to be following this but if I can unload my galaxy tab, I will definitely buy this tablet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Good point. I saw rumors that it may go to cloud storage, but if it comes with expandable memory that may pursuade me even more.

Cloud storage....ha talk about a slow system...esp on our network...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Here's an unconfirmed rumor. ASUS has cancelled the MeMo tablet to concentrate on Googles pad. The "rumored" price point my be $149 but may lose the quad-core. Hmm?

If it keeps going like that, we might as well arrive at free in the end. The latest tip about the Nexus tablet also speculates that the Asus MeMo 370T, that adorable $249 7" Android slate with Tegra 3 we expected to be detailed at MWC, has instead been terminated, when Asus got picked by Google to produce its poster kid slate. Unfortunately the Tegra 3 bit seems to be out as well, which might explain the lowered price.

http://www.phonearen...-for-it_id28153

• Like 1

If they put the right dual core processor in there, nobody will miss the quad core. That would be crazy, $150 for a nexus tablet. I thought $200 was pushing the limits on the balance of performance and price.

• Like 2

I know it may seem counterintuitive, but quad core devices are expected to be more battery efficient than dual core.

Robert

Posted via Forum Runner

Aren't some dual-cores using the new 28 pin and isn't the tegra 3 on the old standard? if so, I think the 28 pin would be more energy efficient at least from what I read. Have to be careful, don't want 4ringsnbr upset at my lack of knowledge again.

I think I read that tegra 3 was more efficient that dual core with helper core. If that is true, quad is king of efficiency. But does it matter that much in a tablet? There is a lot more room for a big battery than a phone.

I think I read that tegra 3 was more efficient that dual core with helper core. If that is true, quad is king of efficiency. But does it matter that much in a tablet? There is a lot more room for a big battery than a phone.

tegra3 technically has 5 cores when you count that extra one it has...Though I am very very excited to see real world results with HTC OneX vs OneXL as they are identical phones and only difference really in the Tegra3 vs the S4 dual core...

Battery life speaking itll come down to whats better...the ghost core in the tegra3 thats 40nm, or the S4 which is 28nm....

You also have to take into consideration that the S4 at 28nm has integrated basebands too...performance/battery life improvements with that?...unknown right now...

I do find it funny that Apple announced its iPad with theoretical speeds of the tech ie +70Mbps LTE....So my thinking is HTC should start doing the same and just say their S4 chips are capable of doing 100Mbs DL since they technically are...lol

• Like 1

Good to know, thanks for the clarification.

dunno if i clarified anything though. lol

still lot of unknowns out there with terms of how much improvement battery wise we see with 28nm vs the 40nm...be tougher to compare with HTC built in battery too since evidently some say when you do this you can be more efficient with battery somehow as opposed to being removable? thats outa my realm there though...