New Samsung chip can manage up to 384GB of Phone Storage

Rukin1

Can't update Topic, Can someone please put "phone" before storage? thank you.

Samsung Starts Mass Producing Industry’s First 3D Vertical NAND Flash

SEOUL, South Korea–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., the world leader in advanced memory technology, today announced that it has begun mass producing the industry’s first three-dimensional (3D) Vertical NAND (V-NAND) flash memory, which breaks through the current scaling limit for existing NAND flash technology.

-snip-

Source

What do you think? That's freaking cool lol

• Like 3

That's a ton of storage, that's more than i could ever need. It's insane. I'm perfectly fine with 32 GB, but I know MANY people will be happy to have this much storage. From seeing comments online you'd figure not even this seems to be enough for some people.

-Luis

That's a ton of storage, that's more than i could ever need. It's insane. I'm perfectly fine with 32 GB, but I know MANY people will be happy to have this much storage. From seeing comments online you'd figure not even this seems to be enough for some people.

-Luis

Yes, but i remember when we thought 300 MB was too much for a pc.

Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

• Like 3

I think 16gb is too small. HD files are getting huge and it doesn't take long to fill 16Gb or 32 anymore. HD movies take 4GB easy.

You do make a good point. I never fill up more than 18 Gigs, I always stream everything. I don't have music on my phone anymore thanks to Play Music, and all the videos I watch are on YouTube. Other than that, I honestly watch movies and shows on my TV.

-Luis

• Like 1

You do make a good point. I never fill up more than 18 Gigs, I always stream everything. I don't have music on my phone anymore thanks to Play Music, and all the videos I watch are on YouTube. Other than that, I honestly watch movies and shows on my TV.

-Luis

I know. a year from now 16GB is going to nothing. 32Gb is going to be hardly enough. Apps are always getting bigger in size

• Like 1

-Luis

Those MANY people are downloading TOO MANY illegal movies, lol!

I think 16gb is too small. HD files are getting huge and it doesn't take long to fill 16Gb or 32 anymore. HD movies take 4GB easy.

See my first comment. Illegal movies, and bandwidth hogs for downloading such large files all the time. Streaming seems to be the way to go anymore.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Those MANY people are downloading TOO MANY illegal movies, lol!

See my first comment. Illegal movies, and bandwidth hogs for downloading such large files all the time. Streaming seems to be the way to go anymore.

eh I stream netflix and I torrent movies :) not through sprint, but my internet provider :). I don't really use 4G much except emails, apps that use data, the play store, and some other things. But I hardly watch anything on youtube or HBO/netflix unless I'm not at home or on a trip of some type.

eh I stream netflix and I torrent movies :) not through sprint, but my internet provider :). I don't really use 4G much except emails, apps that use data, the play store, and some other things. But I hardly watch anything on youtube or HBO/netflix unless I'm not at home or on a trip of some type.

I wasn't talking about you, just the people who want ridiculously large amounts of storage on their phones. I don't even use Netflix, just don't have time for movies lately. YouTube is a luxury that I don't get to enjoy nearly enough. I use more bandwidth on FCC searches and permit searches than I do YouTube in any given month now.

• Like 1

The largest capacity MicroSD's come in is typically equal to the most internal storage you'll find within a flagship phone at any given time, for a fraction of the price. With the SDXC standard supporting up to 2TB, I think I'll be set for awhile. Expandable memory FTW.

With the 4.3 Android update for the Samsung s4 GPe, it almost impossible to access the uSD card as it is. 

A butchered/buggy OS saw to that.

16GB on a phone is certainly not enough when Phone manufacturers and cell providers dump all their bloatwear on there.

Just because we want more than 16GB of storage it doesn't mean we want to store illegal downloads on there.

I prefer good quality rips of my CDs plus offline map data, photo and videos from the camera, all legal.

Besides, I'd guess that 50% of the stuff on youtube infringes on copyrights, including the many joke video links from this site.

So people using Youtube, just because it is streamed from a site and not downloaded as a single file, it doesn't mean that you're not committing an illegal activity.

• 1 month later...

with the new phones the only way i could possibly see someone needing that much storage legally is if they use their phone as a primary camera or take video the new phones coming out in 2014 and beyond will probably take 4k ultra HD video which would fill even a 64 gig internal drive with ease won't be long before we see a 1TB SSD in our phones