Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

Please someone more knowledgable correct me, but I believe all of the phones that can access all three bands will be able to as those bands come online.  But I believe the conversation everyone has been having is about "Spark" which if I understand it correctly combines upload and download (not sure about both) across all three bands to increase your speeds.

If so the N5 will have to wait for the update.  As I've mentioned before about Nexus updates this will be interesting since Spark is specifically for Sprint and the N5 like "allI***" is supposed to only receives updates from Google not the carrier.  I put asterisk on all because the Galaxy Nexus was treated much differently for Sprint and Verizon than the GSM model for everyone else.  All we can do is wait and see.

On a side note.  Once I discovered that the N5 was unlocked I jumped all over that.  Hopefully Sprint will allow Ting to activate it.  If not I'll go to GoPhone or someone else and wait until Ting can activate the phone.  It awesome that we finally have an unlocked phone with all of these radios.

Didn't see this answered...

Sprint "Spark" refers to the TD-LTE band, band 41. This is where the speeds will come from.

Sprint is not combining 800-1900-2500 together into one big pipe. That's impossible given that 800-1900 is FDD-LTE and 2500 is TDD-LTE. Sprint would also need to deploy LTE-A before they can begin aggregating any carriers at all. 

Band 26 (800) and Band 41 (2500) are disabled out of the box on the G2, and I assume they will be disabled on the N5, GS4 Mini, Mega, and One max when those devices launch as well. 

• Like 1

have you tried GrooveIP ?

I am interested in the t-mobile experience where wifi acts like an airave. Same number, no apps, no setup...it just works.

I think its poor form of Google to not make that possible on their device. Vanilla google shouldn't mean "lacks critical features"  (cough sd card cough)

I am interested in the t-mobile experience where wifi acts like an airave. Same number, no apps, no setup...it just works.

I think its poor form of Google to not make that possible on their device. Vanilla google shouldn't mean "lacks critical features"  (cough sd card cough)

Don't blame Google, blame T-Mobile for not making it available.

Man I don't know anyone has gotten a SIM or even a pre-order out of Sprint. They treat it like gold. Really tempting to ditch this BS forever and go elsewhere.

Have you tried the international chat link a few pages back?  It worked flawless for me as well as many others.

• Like 1

The Verge review is out. The battery and camera both appear weak, but Google's claiming the camera will be improved in an update (like the Moto X?). Trusted Reviews gives it a higher rating with similar complaints.

In other news, has anyone who pre-ordered from Sprint gotten shipping notification yet? We're supposed to have them by Friday...

got mine in the mail today, tried the IMEI and sim and it worked, but at the end it told me to click on chat to finish activating.  

through chat i got crap like this:

Lynn C.: Please contact the source of purchase and get a replacement phone with Sprint logo and that can be activated with Sprint services and we will activate it for you. 
You: this is a sprint phone. you guys have it on your website. Please check with your supervisor there was information sent out about the nexus 5 
Lynn C.: Edgar, yes, you are right, we are also offering this phone on our website and it is available for pre-order. Please note that as you have purchased this phone from Google Play Store they might have provided you a phone that is related to some other service provider like AT&T, Verizon. Please understand that each phone is related to some service provider and can only be activated with their services only. 
Lynn C.: That's why I request you to contact them and get a phone related to Sprint services so that we can activate that on your account. 
Lynn C.: If you wish, you can also contact our dedicated Technical Support Team at 1-888-211-4727 and they will help you with it. 
You: there is only one version of this phone. This phone is sprint compatible.  

• Like 2

Also for those that got their Nexus 5... check if engineering screens  are available and if there are options to enable / disable B41 & B26 like that on the G2. 

• Like 2

got mine in the mail today, tried the IMEI and sim and it worked, but at the end it told me to click on chat to finish activating.  

Lynn C.: Please contact the source of purchase and get a replacement phone with Sprint logo and that can be activated with Sprint services and we will activate it for you. 
You: this is a sprint phone. you guys have it on your website. Please check with your supervisor there was information sent out about the nexus 5 
Lynn C.: Edgar, yes, you are right, we are also offering this phone on our website and it is available for pre-order. Please note that as you have purchased this phone from Google Play Store they might have provided you a phone that is related to some other service provider like AT&T, Verizon. Please understand that each phone is related to some service provider and can only be activated with their services only. 
Lynn C.: That's why I request you to contact them and get a phone related to Sprint services so that we can activate that on your account. 
Lynn C.: If you wish, you can also contact our dedicated Technical Support Team at 1-888-211-4727 and they will help you with it. 

So its activated?

ya well opinions are like &*(#&@*$.  camera is good.

http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-5-initial-photo-and-video-samples

That may be true, but Google admitted there's a problem...

Representatives from the Android team say that software is to blame for the weak performance, not hardware, and reps tell me that a fix is coming to deal with the issues in the upcoming weeks. I've even seen an early build of the new software, and while it's only a minor improvement — autofocus is a hair faster, but still inconsistent, and picture quality hasn't changed — it's nice to see Google already at work.

Don't blame Google, blame T-Mobile for not making it available.

Isnt the problem that google doesnt allow ANYTHING to be made available...?

And I would like for it to work in Sprint wifi calling as well

And this is whyt raining needs to happen BEFORE a device goes on sale, not a week later.

Its not just Sprint, btw. When I was with Verizon phone support, we found out about new products via the internet. Internal memo wouldnt come out until the enxt day (after thousands of calls), and then training not for 1-2 weeks.

Even worse was with internal changes. When share everything was anounced, internal support didnt get any info on it for 24 hours. We had to go to cnn, load up the press release, and talk to customers based on that. :/

So naturally, most reps did the canned line like the person you spoke with. "Im sorry customer, Verizon offers no such shared plan, you might be thinking of AT&T?"

The entire industry is garbage and customer support and training. Garbage.

• Like 3

Gizmodo thinks the camera is ok, depending on the settings, but they seemed to have better luck with the battery...

While it's only been a few days, we're happy to report that battery life has been solid thus far. Naturally, it's nowhere near the Droid Maxx, but even with fairly heavy usage I typically made it to 1am with 15-percent left in the tank. We'll continue to test this and will update if there are any significant findings. Reception has been solid (testing in and around L.A.).

Isnt the problem that google doesnt allow ANYTHING to be made available...?

And I would like for it to work in Sprint wifi calling as well

And this is whyt raining needs to happen BEFORE a device goes on sale, not a week later.

Its not just Sprint, btw. When I was with Verizon phone support, we found out about new products via the internet. Internal memo wouldnt come out until the enxt day (after thousands of calls), and then training not for 1-2 weeks.

Even worse was with internal changes. When share everything was anounced, internal support didnt get any info on it for 24 hours. We had to go to cnn, load up the press release, and talk to customers based on that. :/

So naturally, most reps did the canned line like the person you spoke with. "Im sorry customer, Verizon offers no such shared plan, you might be thinking of AT&T?"

The entire industry is garbage and customer support and training. Garbage.

This is the case with any large service company. Training is poor and company adjustments and communications are very delayed and slow.

I worked for Comcast and Time Warner and it was the same way.

This is why the "most hated companies" type lists are almost always comprised of service companies like TWC, Comcast, Sprint, ATT, etc.

Par for the course.

Man I don't know anyone has gotten a SIM or even a pre-order out of Sprint. They treat it like gold. Really tempting to ditch this BS forever and go elsewhere.

Just want to mention that while the Google Play device is "Sprint Compatible" it is not, technically a "Sprint phone".  The device you get from Sprint is certainly a "Sprint Phone" and I would bet money that someone who gets a pre-ordered device "from Sprint" early doesn't have MEID issues as it's actually a "Sprint" device and not just one that will undoubtedly work on the network (eg. LG G2).  They were wrong (but lets be honest, more misinformed as part of the cascading of information has not made it to all channels for the unreleased device

Folks need to just be patient, this is VERY new waters for Sprint and people freaking out on Agents of the Sprint "Machine" about SIM's and id's not in the system before the device has even launched is NOT helping. 

Owell, it'll all work itself out, for sure, in due time... 

KEEP%20CALM%20AND%20WAIT%20FOR%20LAUNCH%

• Like 5

Just so everyone ones! I got mine up and running without any issues! 

Used prior HTC One sim card to activate, and just chatted with tech support and used *#06# to get MEID from dialer and supplied that for activation.

Note* Was unable to use the website to activate manually, it kept rejecting the IMEI (which just so happened to be the same number, minus the last digit as mentioned before)

Bottom Line, as long as you can get your hands on a HTC one sim card (micro-sim) you should be good to go! 

Good Luck guys.

• Like 9

Used prior HTC One sim card to activate, and just chatted with tech support and used *#06# to get MEID from dialer and supplied that for activation.

Note* Was unable to use the website to activate manually, it kept rejecting the IMEI (which just so happened to be the same number, minus the last digit as mentioned before)

Bottom Line, as long as you can get your hands on a HTC one sim card (micro-sim) you should be good to go! 

Good Luck guys.

That may make life easier!

Good Luck guys.

16GB model, correct?

The IMEI is not the MEID.  Just like the iPhone, the MEID is the IMEI minus the last digit.

All indications are that this is true for Sprint right now, but it doesn't have to be that way. With Verizon LTE devices, you can just swap the SIM between them.

That wasn't the case for the Nexus 7 LTE model.  Verizon would not active them because it was not in their system when it first came out.  They were saying the usual "It has to go through our Verizon certification process"... bla bla bla.....

Right, but if you had a SIM card with LTE data, you could just swap it in and it would work. You could go in and tell them you needed a SIM for an ipad and take that back and it would work.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk