How to Spot Clearwire TDD-LTE / Wimax Antennas & RRUs (Samsung)

lilotimz

Looks just like the panels vzw uses in most of michigan(excluding the old alltel areas) for evdo and 1x on 850. 

Could possibly be metro. I doubt its clearwire.

The panels I'm trying to ID are these:

HjvU6AX.jpg

I apologize for off topic.

Saw another TD-LTE base station in Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO.

TD-LTE and WiMax base stations look the same.  They are not switching out the WiMax base cabinets.  They can LTE to them just fine.

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Can I get an expert opinion on this Clearwire(maybe) site.

It is in Osseo, MN and about 1.5 weeks ago I spotted some workers up on what I believe is the Clearwire rack.

Can any of you experts help identify if these are the new Dual Mode rru's?

I apologize for the lack of detail in the pictures, my camcorder has an amazing zoom but doesn't take greatly detailed pictures.

I hope this works, I have never uploaded pictures before. :)

VYb2fzg.jpg

g2TlovT.jpg

zi53H2s.jpg

6VSFsEd.jpg

AvEvOfC.jpg

• Like 1

Can I get an expert opinion on this Clearwire(maybe) site.

It is in Osseo, MN and about 1.5 weeks ago I spotted some workers up on what I believe is the Clearwire rack.

Can any of you experts help identify if these are the new Dual Mode rru's?

I apologize for the lack of detail in the pictures, my camcorder has an amazing zoom but doesn't take greatly detailed pictures.

I hope this works, I have never uploaded pictures before. :)

Yep.

Yep.

So to verify, you are saying that these are td-lte and wimax rtus. If so that is great because this site is really close to my work. I pull a - 76 dbm signal on wimax from this site at my desk.

Now bring on the triband phones since I am upgrade eligible. :-)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4

So to verify, you are saying that these are td-lte and wimax rtus. If so that is great because this site is really close to my work. I pull a - 76 dbm signal on wimax from this site at my desk.

Now bring on the triband phones since I am upgrade eligible. :-)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4

Yep. You can not mistake the new Samsung dual mode TD-LTE RRUs unless they're in close proximity with Samsung network vision equipment.

• Like 1

Here is another site with the mysterious panel (on the right) and what appears to be ClearWire's 2.6Ghz band antenna. I'm guessing WiMax? 

Most likely. Interesting RF filter they have on that one. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Goodby Huawei. Hello Samsung? http://imgur.com/a/XBJpw

Protection or co located site?

Where was this taken?  Those look like PCS only wide beam NV panels, and not Band 41 only panels.  I say that because Band 41 should only have one RRU per panel.  Whereas a Samsung high capacity site can have two panels per sector with two RRU's per panel.

Robert

Where was this taken?  Those look like PCS only wide beam NV panels, and not Band 41 only panels.  I say that because Band 41 should only have one RRU per panel.  Whereas a Samsung high capacity site can have two panels per sector with two RRU's per panel.

Robert

I'm guessing it's a high capacity site, it has a very good vantage point  to a very large area.  It's not broadcasting Sprint PCS according to the site maps. When I lived in that area and took the pictures, my Sprint signal strength was bad enough to need an Airrave to hold calls.

https://www.google.com/maps?q=29.526259,-98.323048&num=1&t=h&z=19

Where was this taken? Those look like PCS only wide beam NV panels, and not Band 41 only panels. I say that because Band 41 should only have one RRU per panel. Whereas a Samsung high capacity site can have two panels per sector with two RRU's per panel.

Robert

That's Clearwire with legacy Samsung Wimax rru. You can see it in some of the pics if you zoom in. It's a very thin rru.

Sent from my Nexus 5

That's Clearwire with legacy Samsung Wimax rru. You can see it in some of the pics if you zoom in. It's a very thin rru.

Sent from my Nexus 5

That's why I wanted to know where it was at. So I could rule out it being a Samsung NV area.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I'm guessing it's a high capacity site, it has a very good vantage point  to a very large area.  It's not broadcasting Sprint PCS according to the site maps. When I lived in that area and took the pictures, my Sprint signal strength was bad enough to need an Airrave to hold calls.

https://www.google.com/maps?q=29.526259,-98.323048&num=1&t=h&z=19

TX is a samsung and Mot market.  Given it's a 4 ports radio unit, it should be Samsung updating it's RRU or some other reasons.  The replacement site has a longer antenna which means it's a PCS band antenna.

• 1 month later...

I live out in the country.  15 miles east of the nearest decent size city that has a population of about 37,000 (Richmond, Indiana).  I didn't think Sprint was adding Band 41 to rural areas that weren't densely populated.  However, last week I saw a rope hanging from CI33-----C050.  It was getting dark so I could not see the antennas very well.  Today, I took my new DSLR camera with me and the top image below is what I observed.  The antenna on the right has been there since July 2013.  The wider antenna on the left is new.

The bottom image is what it looked like in July 2013 after NV antenna was added, but before legacy was removed.

In addition, this week, I spoke to and verified a contractor for Time Warner has been running new fiber to the tower for Sprint.

So, am I correct in thinking this is new addition is a Band 41 antenna on this tower? (Band 25 & 26 run through the same antenna, and B41 requires an additional antenna, correct?)

CTgSHNb.jpg

v8tpSRU.jpg

• Like 7