How to Spot Clearwire TDD-LTE / Wimax Antennas & RRUs (Samsung)

lilotimz

Circle stuff timothy wilco! lol awesome stuff though!!

So was this tower a clearwire tower at first? or Sprint 4G or was it just a non-updated tower?

This was only a Clearwire site - I didn't see this at all on Robert's Map. I know the tower is shared with a few other carriers, but didn't ever see Sprint represented.

This tower would provide amazing coverage for Highway 40 through St. Louis -- the next tower is about 1.5 miles down the road (Flagpole), and then another 1.5 - 2 miles to a rooftop site. I'm getting pretty excited about the rollout now. :)

So, I guess the next logical follow-up would be: how soon will these Clearwire sites be accepted? And, can I power up my tri-band MiFi hotspot and start pulling TD-LTE? (The obvious answer to that is, "you've got to try")

• Like 1

So, I guess the next logical follow-up would be: how soon will these Clearwire sites be accepted? And, can I power up my tri-band MiFi hotspot and start pulling TD-LTE? (The obvious answer to that is, "you've got to try")

I think that's an unknown so far. We haven't gotten information about Clear's sites like we have Sprint, it was a surprise when Denver and Chicago etc. went live. I doubt they've been under Sprint's control long enough for them to be active right of the bat like Sprint's are, so I'd imagine even if everything was ready to go it likely won't be accepting users for a while. But then, you never know!

I think that's an unknown so far. We haven't gotten information about Clear's sites like we have Sprint, it was a surprise when Denver and Chicago etc. went live. I doubt they've been under Sprint's control long enough for them to be active right of the bat like Sprint's are, so I'd imagine even if everything was ready to go it likely won't be accepting users for a while. But then, you never know!

I know this site already has backhaul - I'm just not sure if it's a shared arrangement with A&T/VZW for the fiber, or if that has to be run separately. 

Multi-vendor sites confuse me.  :lol:

How about comparison to WiMax Antennas/RRU's?

Is Clear replacing the WiMax Antennas with these new antennas or will there be 2 different types of antennas per rack or 2 racks?

How about comparison to WiMax Antennas/RRU's?

Is Clear replacing the WiMax Antennas with these new antennas or will there be 2 different types of antennas per rack or 2 racks?

One to one RRU replacement. 

One to one RRU replacement. 

So their new setup will have WiMax and 2500/2600 from one Antenna/RRU? Can we get a photo comparison between the current WiMax setup and the TD setup?

So their new setup will have WiMax and 2500/2600 from one Antenna/RRU? Can we get a photo comparison between the current WiMax setup and the TD setup?

That's going to be fun...

I just activated my MiFi hotspot, so I'll check that tower when I get home.

(It sucks that my corp. discount won't apply to the plan, per the sales dude)

I just activated my MiFi hotspot, so I'll check that tower when I get home.

(It sucks that my corp. discount won't apply to the plan, per the sales dude)

Discounts only apply to the first line now...sucks

Discounts only apply to the first line now...sucks

Well, I know that's true for phones as I've lost discounts on my additional lines over the years.  However, I have a separate hotspot plan that still has the discount as well as my first phone line.  Maybe it's because it's an older 3G only data plan, I don't know.

• Like 1

I translated it also and was like um??? what the hell

It's a nonsense text - it's made up of Latin words but nonsensical and grammatically incorrect from what I see

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• 3 weeks later...

This one site in my area of NYC surely looks like that TD-LTE Sammy setup. It's located in Astoria, on a extremely awkward rooftop, facing a small dead end street on one side, and busy avenue on the other side. But note the panel spacing, with one of the panels totally blasting at the side of the adjacent building! WTF? Would like to know what are the huge wide blocky panels?

I've also ran some sweeps, and it looks like that site is broadcasting at the very end of their spectrum, 2669Mhz - 2689Mhz, 20Mhz slice. Seems there is a slight separation at the 10Mhz mark. It also looks like it's completely unloaded, which makes me think it's TD-LTE range. 

2gthUXy.jpg

lvgNyxw.jpg

frhUIrR.jpg

YxkdFPE.jpg

og36Ouz.jpg

This one site in my area of NYC surely looks like that TD-LTE Sammy setup. It's located in Astoria, on a extremely awkward rooftop, facing a small dead end street on one side, and busy avenue on the other side. But note the panel spacing, with one of the panels totally blasting at the side of the adjacent building! WTF? Would like to know what are the huge wide blocky panels?

I've also ran some sweeps, and it looks like that site is broadcasting at the very end of their spectrum, 2669Mhz - 2689Mhz, 20Mhz slice. Seems there is a slight separation at the 10Mhz mark. It also looks like it's completely unloaded, which makes me think it's TD-LTE range. 

Those are legacy Samsung wimax RRU's. They're too small and not symmetrical like that of the new dual mode RRUs. The trapezoidal shape of the RRUs behind the antenna is the give away plus the seperation at the 10mhz mark. TD-LTE would be continuous. 

No clue about the fatty antennas but not Sprint to my knowledge. The RRU in your pictures have 4 RF ports hooked up to the 4 RF ports on the antenna. Possibly another carrier or wireless broadband provider?

Ah good to know. Then it looks like WiMax is at the end of the range, although that may vary...

On a completely unrelated note, can anyone ID these, they're driving me crazy I can't figure them out:

oBPUVr6.jpg

HjvU6AX.jpg

6 ports at the bottom, no RRU.

Ah good to know. Then it looks like WiMax is at the end of the range, although that may vary...

On a completely unrelated note, can anyone ID these, they're driving me crazy I can't figure them out:

oBPUVr6.jpg

HjvU6AX.jpg

Looks like verizon to me.

Looks like verizon to me.

Not a Verizon they look like this: eulaMBA.jpg

Is it Metro PCS CDMA/LTE setup? Or some old school ClearWire? It's puzzling with 6 ports at the bottom and no RRU... Cabinets right next to them. Looks legacy to me.

oBPUVr6.jpgHjvU6AX.jpg

There's some T-Mobile panels that looks like those in Jacksonville Florida. But there's three fat panels instead of two

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

Not a Verizon they look like this: eulaMBA.jpg

Is it Metro PCS CDMA/LTE setup? Or some old school ClearWire? It's puzzling with 6 ports at the bottom and no RRU... Cabinets right next to them. Looks legacy to me.

On your previous photo they look just like the panels vzw uses in most of michigan(excluding the old alltel areas) for evdo and 1x on 850. 

Could possibly be metro. I doubt its clearwire.