Samsung Galaxy Note 3

linhpham2

ig there is nothing higher than 1080p lol nvm

You can get a higher resolution display for sure but at this point 1080p is more than sufficient for a mobile device.  The nexus 10 has a much higher resolution which is appropriate being that it has a larger 10 inch screen.

Anybody know when it will be in the market, my upgrade is on August 1

:)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

You can get a higher resolution display for sure but at this point 1080p is more than sufficient for a mobile device.  The nexus 10 has a much higher resolution which is appropriate being that it has a larger 10 inch screen.

I think even 720 is still more than enough.

-Luis

• Like 3

ig there is nothing higher than 1080p lol nvm

1080p is the highest resolution for most commercial video out there, only in theaters will you find a higher resolution of video. 

On a device this size, 1080p is almost overkill. 

1080p is the highest resolution for most commercial video out there, only in theaters will you find a higher resolution of video. 

On a device this size, 1080p is almost overkill. 

Actually, it's the large quantity of material out there that is available in 1080p that makes it wonderful to have a screen that can display that natively. Not having to downscale the video saves some CPU cycles and hence battery life.

Also, because of the PenTile ("Diamond") sub-pixel arrangement used by Samsung, the reduced number of red and blue sub-pixels lead to a PPI that is effectively lower than that of the iPhone 5 (312 vs. 326, vs 441 for the S4's green sub-pixels). This becomes clear when viewing fine text or graphics. For me (and I have slightly better than 20/20 vision after correction), I cannot distinguish the S4's pixels when viewing photos or video, but can make them out when reading text close-up on a white background. If nothing else, the bump to 1080p has largely rendered the debate over PenTile moot.

As noted by DisplayMate, a true Retina Display would have a PPI of at least 572 when viewed from 12 inches away with near perfect (20/10) vision. So if or when someone reaches 600 PPI, that would officially be overkill.

The Note 3 will of course have a larger screen than the S4, so if it is still 1080p, the PPI will be lower. Still, even at phablet size (5-7") there shouldn't be a notable deterioration in sharpness. My hope for the Note 3 display is that they further refine some of AMOLED's shortcomings, such as brightness and contrast in high ambient (e.g. outdoor) light, and tone down the saturation.

Tl;dr... I love the 1080p display on my S4 and think it is the best display I've ever seen on a mobile device, but will concede not much more resolution is needed unless you have the eyes of a hawk (20/10 or better, with 20/8 being the human record). Going forward, Samsung should ignore their marketing department and instead focus on improving other aspects of the display.

I'm guessing that this will have tri-band LTE as well?

It almost certainly will, but be warned that at least the first wave of tri-band handsets will lack both SVDO and SVLTE. It's a shame there weren't any dual-band LTE phones that would forego TDD support (not necessary for those of us in areas where it is unlikely to reach or be deployed) but still be able to utilize SVLTE with either FDD band.

I'm guessing that this will have tri-band LTE as well?

Yes it will be triband.  The last LTE phone that will be single band LTE is the Moto X since it passed the FCC back in late May.  I just hope that the Galaxy Note 3 this time will support 5 and 10 MHz bandwidths at 1900 MHz this time.

Samsung LTE phones on Sprint are notorious for only supporting 5 MHz bandwidths at 1900 MHz.  I know its not a big deal but its just that LG, Motorola and HTC have always passed their LTE phones with 5 and 10 MHz bandwidths so it will be nice if Samsung did the same.

Yes it will be triband.  The last LTE phone that will be single band LTE is the Moto X since it passed the FCC back in late May.  I just hope that the Galaxy Note 3 this time will support 5 and 10 MHz bandwidths at 1900 MHz this time.

Samsung LTE phones on Sprint are notorious for only supporting 5 MHz bandwidths at 1900 MHz.  I know its not a big deal but its just that LG, Motorola and HTC have always passed their LTE phones with 5 and 10 MHz bandwidths so it will be nice if Samsung did the same.

Actually, the ZTE N9510 passed the FCC this month, and the Samsung SPH-L520 still has yet to, and for sure the ZTE is single-band LTE, and I'm assuming the SPH-L520 will be too (It's rumored to be the GS4 mini on Sprint (Unconfirmed)).

Actually, the ZTE N9510 passed the FCC this month, and the Samsung SPH-L520 still has yet to, and for sure the ZTE is single-band LTE, and I'm assuming the SPH-L520 will be too (It's rumored to be the GS4 mini on Sprint (Unconfirmed)).

Maybe to clarify that I meant high end LTE smartphones.  I guess the iPhone is a wild card but I don't think the Galaxy Note 3 will be single band LTE.

Maybe to clarify that I meant high end LTE smartphones. I guess the iPhone is a wild card but I don't think the Galaxy Note 3 will be single band LTE.

I'm sure the GN 3 will be tri-band. They have to if they want to sell enough of them.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

I'm sure the GN 3 will be tri-band. They have to if they want to sell enough of them.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I am assuming it will be tri-band also, but I think the triband feature is way down on the bullet points of features for most consumers. Tri-band will have very little to do with its success or failure.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 2