WiMax isn't all that bad

markjcc

if clearwire continued to roll it out and continued to upgrade it it would have been capable for todays market its sad to see it go by 2015

517899846.png

517905354.png

tests were done Indoors with the signal reading as 'Poor'

• Like 1

if clearwire continued to roll it out and continued to upgrade it it would have been capable for todays market its sad to see it go by 2015

517899846.png

517905354.png

tests were done Indoors with the signal reading as 'Poor'

Moving on to the new "hybrid wimax" technology that i'm working with today I'll say this;  50 MHZ yields a lot of throughput  ;) 

Here is some irony for ya.  I live in Atlanta.  I waited one full year after LTE deployment began to get an LTE phone just so that I'd have a reasonably consistent experience.  It works fine but my old GS2 on wimax - where it could get it (let's be clear here) -  pulled consistently higher speeds toward the end (as compared to what I get on LTE).  Much higher, in fact.  

But, I recently moved to another area of the city and I can hardly get a Sprint signal here at all.  My roommate has a Clear spot for wifi here...and now, guess what?  I'm back on the wimax network for data here at the house (wifi)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  LOL.  I guess I've come full circle!

• Like 1

Here is some irony for ya.  I live in Atlanta.  I waited one full year after LTE deployment began to get an LTE phone just so that I'd have a reasonably consistent experience.  It works fine but my old GS2 on wimax - where it could get it (let's be clear here) -  pulled consistently higher speeds toward the end (as compared to what I get on LTE).  Much higher, in fact.  

But, I recently moved to another area of the city and I can hardly get a Sprint signal here at all.  My roommate has a Clear spot for wifi here...and now, guess what?  I'm back on the wimax network for data here at the house (wifi)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  LOL.  I guess I've come full circle!

Whats the Difference? Sprint's WI-MAX was Setup by clearwire and not sprint themselves ;)

WiMax is sort of like WiFi so its capable of delivering high speeds too.

Wimax isn't bad where you get signal. When I had my evo 3d I would get 6mbps to 8mbps. Although not bad when compared to lte or even hsdpa+ it's sort of a joke.

Sent from the Great Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

WiMAX and LTE are very similar, so both are "sort of like" Wi-Fi.  The key difference is that IEEE standardizes WiMAX, while 3GPP standardizes LTE.

The bigger issue was timing.  If WiMAX had gained enough traction to stay at the forefront for another year or two, then we would have had 28-40 nm chipsets, which would have ameliorated many of the early WiMAX smartphone battery life problems.

AJ

In maui wimax reaches everywhere because clearwire has leased a spot on this very huge radio station tower and they got dibs at the very top

at least you had it

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I'm fully aware of that. I think you totally missed my point.

Whats the Difference? Sprint's WI-MAX was Setup by clearwire and not sprint themselves ;)

Besides battery life, a huge problem with wimax is the hand-off issue.

Try using your phone on a moving vehicle...such a pain.

Network reselection improves over time, as does site density. Heck, even LTE network reselection is still wonky at times. And WiMAX network reselection on the highway in better markets was decent a few years ago. Unfortunately for you, Fresno did/does not qualify.

AJ

Network reselection improves over time, as does site density. Heck, even LTE network reselection is still wonky at times. And WiMAX network reselection on the highway in better markets was decent a few years ago. Unfortunately for you, Fresno did/does not qualify.

AJ

Handoffs in my market are fine i stream pandora while going to work driving @ like 45 mph.

AJ

Fresno has one tower, but Im talking about LA where every tower handoff caused the data connection to drop for a few seconds. Made streaming radio, for example, not worthwhile, and other activities a pain, such as looking up details of the destination.

I enjoyed WiMax while I had my S2 here in Orange County. I miss its speeds - up to 18Mbps at times and 6Mbps upload. Average was about 8Mbps down and 5Mbps up.

If Sprint doesn't improve the LTE situation by May of 2014, which is when my first contract with Sprint ends, Ipol probably ditch them and probably try Verizon. But a major problem with Verizon is their friggin locked bootloaders. :(

I enjoyed WiMax while I had my S2 here in Orange County. I miss its speeds - up to 18Mbps at times and 6Mbps upload. Average was about 8Mbps down and 5Mbps up.

If Sprint doesn't improve the LTE situation by May of 2014, which is when my first contract with Sprint ends, Ipol probably ditch them and probably try Verizon. But a major problem with Verizon is their friggin locked bootloaders. :(

Verizon is way too expensive now. I would rather go with att if i had to choose the one of the 2 evils.

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Verizon is way too expensive now. I would rather go with att if i had to choose the one of the 2 evils.

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

I would check tmobile's coverage in your area first before I go to the big 2. But I'm in the same boat but my contract doesn't end until October of next year. Hopefully by then the DC metro area and Frederick MD area has sufficient LTE coverage.

ive said this a few times here, while i cant wait for a consistent steady LTE coverage, just give me <=100 pings and a steady just over 1mbps on 3G and i will be happy.  I dont try to use my phone for my home internet so everything i do from web browsing, to audio/video streaming can all be done with those speeds.  I figure if network vision brings those kind of speeds on 3G along with LTE, i might be all alone crusing on 3G with everyone else fighting for LTE LOL

• Like 1

ive said this a few times here, while i cant wait for a consistent steady LTE coverage, just give me <=100 pings and a steady just over 1mbps on 3G and i will be happy.  I dont try to use my phone for my home internet so everything i do from web browsing, to audio/video streaming can all be done with those speeds.  I figure if network vision brings those kind of speeds on 3G along with LTE, i might be all alone crusing on 3G with everyone else fighting for LTE LOL

This is the truth...I had an EVO Shift before my EVO 4G LTE. WiMax was adequate when stationary but I had big problems handing off soi spent the majority of time on the 3G network. When I upgraded & was forced to use 3G 100% of the time, I realized just how slow the network was at the time. However, once NV upgrades began in my market and I started to see speeds of 1-2 Mbps over eHRPD I realized that LTE wasn't mandatory to have a satisfactory browsing experience.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Wimax was pretty consistent and good where I lived.

Only problem was my Nexus S. It was such a horrible phone.

In some ways I wish I still have my Wimax phone since I don't get LTE at home or at my office.

In some ways I wish I still have my Wimax phone since I don't get LTE at home or at my office.

When I first got my Evo 3D, I got WiMax speeds up to 12 mbps in some spots. Unfortunately, in the last 6 months or so, those speeds decayed so much that 3G was much more consistent. In places I used to get those speeds, I was getting less than 1 mbps with ping times greater than 150 ms. Switching to 3G, I would get 1.5-2 mbps with under 100 ms. I had to completely turn off and not even think about 4G after my area was all NV complete on the 3G side. Now that I have LTE, it puts WiMax coverage to shame. WiMax never came close to the reach of LTE here.

When I first got my Evo 3D, I got WiMax speeds up to 12 mbps in some spots. Unfortunately, in the last 6 months or so, those speeds decayed so much that 3G was much more consistent. In places I used to get those speeds, I was getting less than 1 mbps with ping times greater than 150 ms. Switching to 3G,I would get 1.5-2 mbps with under 100 mbps. I had to completely turn off and not even think about 4G after my area was all NV complete on the 3G side. Now that I have LTE, it puts WiMax coverage to shame. WiMax never came close to the reach of LTE here.

I assume you meant pings, not Mbps.