Engineering screen APN error?

Xlegendxero

Hey everyone, so I have looked everywhere for a post on this topic even at xda. So while going through my engineering menu screens I can across this notification stating my APN list needs to be fixed. Is this normal or did I actually break something at some point? Any insight would be great.

I hope the image uploaded. I'm new to using tapatalk.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

Come on, digiblur, you are supposed to have a little fun with him and tell him that his mucking around with his handset broke his local cell site.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3563-is-this-an-issue/?p=126128

AJ

Come on AJ I'm not that gullible. I may not post often but I do browse this site a lot.

Interesting to see it's a developer issue since I've seen this on all the rooted stock roms I have used.

Come on AJ I'm not that gullible. I may not post often but I do browse this site a lot.

Interesting to see it's a developer issue since I've seen this on all the rooted stock roms I have used.

The developer of the Stock ROM...

Samsung

The developer of the Stock ROM...

Samsung

Oh, those Samsung "enginerrs"...

AJ

• Like 4

Many people seem to forget the engineering screens aren't meant for the public. They're meant to serve a simple purpose and do that exceptionally well. Very little development time is put into these screens as they only require info requests to code and are only intended to be used by a few people. Heck, up until the Galaxy S III, one of Samsung's "apps" was called "Let's try, panning!" in the application list, that was obviously not entirely intentional for public view, but a low priority to change from development to deployment. Later software updates changed the name to more adequately reflect a public release.

The fact these testing apps are installed on the officially released firmware images is likely just because there isn't a justification for the "time" it would take to recompile/repackage it after removing them from the ROM image. That little bit of time adds up when you multiply it by every release candidate image x phone model x carrier configuration x etc. Also don't forget, these engineering screens are likely the same across multiple device types, software versions, and possibly even carriers and thus are not updated often on the user-end because they are low priority, it either works or it doesn't. If it doesn't work, but also is not needed, then it will stay broken until needed.

• Like 1

Umm..thanks for the extended answer..was not what I was actually looking to get. I am aware a lot of these screens are not for the public view. Actually a lot of what we do on here is not for public view (in terms of the average Sprint customer). I just asked if this was a normal message because every Google search I had tried failed to find any inquiries about that "error." I knew well that I actually didn't break something on the phone, it just a nuisance for me when something doesn't display property.(like how 1x is displayed as 3G...yes I know 1x is a 3G technology but in terms of data speeds, Sprint should not insist on calling it that.)

like how 1x is displayed as 3G

I love my DigiROM for my Note 2. It displays 1X next to signal bars when on 1xRTT, 3G when on EVDO and LTE when in LTE. It's great.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 4

The fact these testing apps are installed on the officially released firmware images is likely just because there isn't a justification for the "time" it would take to recompile/repackage it after removing them from the ROM image. That little bit of time adds up when you multiply it by every release candidate image x phone model x carrier configuration x etc. Also don't forget, these engineering screens are likely the same across multiple device types, software versions, and possibly even carriers and thus are not updated often on the user-end because they are low priority, it either works or it doesn't. If it doesn't work, but also is not needed, then it will stay broken until needed.

Actually, AT&T has the engineering screens removed from the official release ROMs for many of its handsets.

AJ

Actually, AT&T has the engineering screens removed from the official release ROMs for many of its handsets.

AJ

I've had Sprint network ticket closers ask me the PNs on the 1X and EVDO engineering screens before.

I've had Sprint network ticket closers ask me the PNs on the 1X and EVDO engineering screens before.

Sprint support used to ask for that info on my old EVO 4G as well.

As for getting the correct indicators, right now I just use signal check pro. Although, I still highly prefer not to need an app for that info. I think I'm overdue on testing out the latest release of Slimbean.

• 1 month later...

Nope. No issues. That's a note to the developer from himself to fix the screen one day. No biggie.

Hi can u help me understand how to read the LTE engineering screen on the galaxy s4 , this is from mine

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1377566324241.jpg

Thanks just two more questions, why does it show connected with a (2) on state, and is there a way to tell if there is LTE testing in my tower, back then the screen would not show that info.