iOS 7 Final

illest_ios

so i know iOS7 will be ready sometime in fall, im running the beta without a registered UDID or a DEV account. when the final verison is ready should i go back to 6.1.4? or am i safe to update over the air?

Edited by illest_ios
  • Like 1

so i know iOS7 will be ready sometime in fall, im running the beta without a registered UDID or a DEV account. when the final verison is ready should i go back to 6.1.4? or am i safe to update over the air?

safe from what? It's just as illegal regardless.

If your not running the latest beta I'm not really sure what the point is. Beta 3 is actually pretty stable but still has a bunch of bugs.

I would suggest running iOS 7 with a fresh install anyways. So it won't actually matter.

You generally can't downgrade but Apple always makes the final release available to beta devices, though sometimes you have to restore with iTunes if something is completely busted.

If you need a Sprint 6.X IPSW file, I can download one and you can roll back.

Being an iOS developer has it's benefits. :)

If you need a Sprint 6.X IPSW file, I can download one and you can roll back.

Being an iOS developer has it's benefits. :)

You can roll back as a developer? :o

I've actually been wanting to go to 6.1.2 because I'm on 6.0.1. There are a few bugs I want to get rid of. I can't because 6.1.2 isn't signed anymore though.

:-(

You can roll back as a developer? :o

I've actually been wanting to go to 6.1.2 because I'm on 6.0.1. There are a few bugs I want to get rid of. I can't because 6.1.2 isn't signed anymore though.

:-(

I can only grab the latest version of iOS6.

I just restore from the iOS6 IPSW file, then restore content & settings from iCloud. I had to do that when I realized my corporate email & VPN soft token wouldn't work w/IOS 7.

I just restore from the iOS6 IPSW file, then restore content & settings from iCloud. I had to do that when I realized my corporate email & VPN soft token wouldn't work w/IOS 7.

Oh darn.

At least there's a way of going back to iOS 6 if someone wanted to try the Beta.

You can download the old ipsw's from many places. As a non-dev, I cannot do shit with them since Apple changed their signing mechanism again, a while ago.

I also did not know devs could get old ones signed and installed. I would pay for a dev license to be able to install old ipsw's in the event, for example, I broke a jailbroken device and replaced it only to find the new model came with 6.1.4 ;)

If you had a dev license and the correct 6.1.2 ipsw for the device, can you install it?

You can download the old ipsw's from many places. As a non-dev, I cannot do shit with them since Apple changed their signing mechanism again, a while ago. I also did not know devs could get old ones signed and installed. I would pay for a dev license to be able to install old ipsw's in the event, for example, I broke a jailbroken device and replaced it only to find the new model came with 6.1.4 ;)If you had a dev license and the correct 6.1.2 ipsw for the device, can you install it?

No, you cannot. Apple developers do NOT have any special privileges as far as downgrading firmware.

If you update to iOS 7 beta (or 6.1.4 for that fact), on a device with an A5 chip or higher, you cannot restore to anything but the latest iOS 7 beta or iOS 6.1.4.

No, you cannot. Apple developers do NOT have any special privileges as far as downgrading firmware.

If you update to iOS 7 beta (or 6.1.4 for that fact), on a device with an A5 chip or higher, you cannot restore to anything but the latest iOS 7 beta or iOS 6.1.4.

That's what I thought. I had a glimmer of hope I'd missed something really cool ;) Ah, well.

Speaking of, how DO developers maintain compatibility with older firmwares across devices, if they can't install old IPSWs? Does the simulator function well enough that it is irrelevant? Or is that part of why apple passively forces users into FW & SW upgrades, so that the burden on devs is less? I guess a serious dev would only need one of each supported device, rather than have to hop FW & SW revs.

You keep older devices around on older OSes. They've improved the simulator a lot though; it now supports installing various older OS releases. If needed, you can buy an old 3GS running iOS 4 for cheap.

The reality is 95% of all iOS devices are running iOS 6 so supporting older OSes past that isn't terribly relevant. They also are pretty good about maintaining stable APIs and deprecated stuff is often available for several major releases before it goes away. In practice, I've only ever run into OS version issues one time. If you dont have experience developing for other platforms, let me just say it seems like a miracle.

thanks buddy. i am A ok with iOS7 right now. luckily i have a 6.1.4 IPSW somewhere in my laptop haha.

• 1 month later...

Can anybody confirm the old field test trick for dBm meter instead of bars (now dots) still works in ios 7? I can't get it to work anymore.

When I hit the power button, whilst in Field Test mode, then hold the home button to close the FT app, it just resets the app and doesn't close to the home screen. Thus, not allowing me to keep the dBm meter, which reverts back to the dots.

Is there another procedure now in ios 7, to force-close an app?

Can anybody confirm the old field test trick for dBm meter instead of bars (now dots) still works in ios 7? I can't get it to work anymore.

When I hit the power button, whilst in Field Test mode, then hold the home button to close the FT app, it just resets the app and doesn't close to the home screen. Thus, not allowing me to keep the dBm meter, which reverts back to the dots.

Is there another procedure now in ios 7, to force-close an app?

Just tried it out. The old method still works for me.

If you guys run into problems with the network on iOS 7, I just got off the phone with a very nice rep who suggested running the PRL update ##update#, then if you're still having trouble, wiping the network settings via ##clear#.

If you guys run into problems with the network on iOS 7, I just got off the phone with a very nice rep who suggested running the PRL update ##update#, then if you're still having trouble, wiping the network settings via ##clear#.

PRL update and reset network settings are standard, first level attempts to fix issues like you're having. I just quoted you in the other iPhone thread, but has your issue been fixed by using those methods? If not, call them back and make sure they have the proper ICCID activated on your account (ICCID can be found at Settings - General - About).