EVO 4G LTE Engineering info after root and rom

Fubie

Hello all and yes I have searched as best I can and believe I have not found this question asked.  I am running a rooted and rommed EVO 4G LTE (CM10.1) and cannot access DEBUG for LTE engineering info.  I have am using several apps (Advanced Signal Status and SignalCheck Pro) to get most of the information provided by the engineering screen but I don't think all.

Is there something I'm missing available in an AOSP rom?  If not are there any other apps that might provide more or all of the info available on the engineering screen other than what I have?  Thanks for any help.

Fubie

Hello all and yes I have searched as best I can and believe I have not found this question asked.  I am running a rooted and rommed EVO 4G LTE (CM10.1) and cannot access DEBUG for LTE engineering info.  I have am using several apps (Advanced Signal Status and SignalCheck Pro) to get most of the information provided by the engineering screen but I don't think all.

Is there something I'm missing available in an AOSP rom?  If not are there any other apps that might provide more or all of the info available on the engineering screen other than what I have?  Thanks for any help.

Fubie

I think I read somewhere that you can't access the Engineering Screen through non-sense based roms... I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember reading that. I think it also happens with the Nexus phones as well. The Engineering Screen isn't built into them.

-Luis

Do you have instructions available to root an evo?

Just head over to xda-developers.com and you will find anything you need for basically any phone.

CyanogenMOD's do not support dialer codes. Therefore you cannot access those screens in CM10. You will need a Sense based ROM to use dialer codes.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Understood. It seems odd that as I am being told the engineering info is only available from dialer codes on Sense based Roms. Surely this info is available to non sense based Android devices or through apps with root access

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Understood. It seems odd that as I am being told the engineering info is only available from dialer codes on Sense based Roms. Surely this info is available to non sense based Android devices or through apps with root access

No, it makes sense -- pardon the pun.  FieldTrial.apk is an HTC internal app.  Other ROMs do not get to use HTC apps.  That would be theft.

AJ

LOL ok.  I'll put this to rest.  The information provided by the .apk (not the apk iteself) is only available on Sense based phones.  LG, Samsung, ZTE, and Kyocera running their own flavor of Android or any AOSP Android ROM do not have access to the same LTE information that fieldtrial.apk offers for HTC?  Got it.

Fubie

LOL ok.  I'll put this to rest.  The information provided by the .apk (not the apk iteself) is only available on Sense based phones.  LG, Samsung, ZTE, and Kyocera running their own flavor of Android or any AOSP Android ROM do not have access to the same LTE information that fieldtrial.apk offers for HTC?  Got it.

Fubie

Some of the info comes from vendor specific routines and is not a standard android call.  There is nothing stopping you from researching and developing an app that pulls this same info from the baseband.

Some of the info comes from vendor specific routines and is not a standard android call.  There is nothing stopping you from researching and developing an app that pulls this same info from the baseband.

In fact, he would be regarded as a wireless dork hero if he did do exactly that.   :sunny:

Robert

• Like 2

No, at the very least, LG and Samsung have their own internal engineering screen apps.  But just like Field Trial for HTC, those internal apps will not work with other ROMs.  Or even if they would work, packaging them with alternative ROMs would be copyright violation.

Advanced Signal Status has some algorithmic inflexibility that inherently biases it toward 10 MHz FDD LTE -- the bandwidth that VZW but not Sprint is deploying.  SignalCheck Pro is the best third party app out there, but even supremely talented Mike has not been able to crack vendor level access to the baseband.  So, in all the years now that Android has been available, no third party app has ever achieved a true substitute for internal engineering screens.

Basically, you have to choose between alternative ROMs and engineering screens.  Without hesitation, I choose the latter.

AJ

• Like 2

Hey thanks AJ! I should print that post out and put it on my fridge so my fiancé can see a glimpse of my lofty status in the wireless dork world.. :) I have a new time-wasting game, I search my app on S4GRU and try to see who is talking about it. That's how I found this.. so cool.

Anyways.. yes, as everyone has said, these engineering screens are manufacturer-specific and contain many functions that are inaccessible to third-party developers such as the CM folks or myself. Many of them also have layers of security that block access to these functions even if you figure them out. It's frustrating because all the cool stuff is behind that door!

If anyone finds a way to read useful data from some of these routines, I will be more than happy to add it to the app if you want to share! Hmm, an idea...

-Mike

• Like 1

Mike,

You're app is great and I purchased it as soon as I ran across your post here. I would prefer Ann app solution to dual boot (tolerable) to running a Sense ROM just for this info.

Thanks again.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

Hey thanks AJ! I should print that post out and put it on my fridge so my fiancé can see a glimpse of my lofty status in the wireless dork world.. :) I have a new time-wasting game, I search my app on S4GRU and try to see who is talking about it. That's how I found this.. so cool.

Anyways.. yes, as everyone has said, these engineering screens are manufacturer-specific and contain many functions that are inaccessible to third-party developers such as the CM folks or myself. Many of them also have layers of security that block access to these functions even if you figure them out. It's frustrating because all the cool stuff is behind that door!

If anyone finds a way to read useful data from some of these routines, I will be more than happy to add it to the app if you want to share! Hmm, an idea...

-Mike

any chance of getting color coded data names in the status bar for easy identification for us old folks? like green for lte, yellow for evdo and red for 1x? by the way, LOVE the app. i found it on a discussion here and bought it immediately.

Edited by kc5gtz
  • Like 1

any chance of getting color coded data names in the status bar for easy identification for us old folks? like green for lte, yellow for evdo and red for 1x? by the way, LOVE the app. i found it on a discussion here and bought it immediately.

Thanks, glad to hear it!  Colorized icons are on the list of things I would like to add at some point.  There's an active discussion thread here just for the app, so if you have any more questions, toss them over there: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3060-signalcheck-android-app-to-monitor-your-2g3g4g-lte-signal-strengths/

-Mike

Thanks, glad to hear it!  Colorized icons are on the list of things I would like to add at some point.  There's an active discussion thread here just for the app, so if you have any more questions, toss them over there: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3060-signalcheck-android-app-to-monitor-your-2g3g4g-lte-signal-strengths/

-Mike

Thanks for the update. Didn't know that thread was there. Now i have another thread to watch! Keep up the good work.

• Like 1