Changes to Airave device positioning for customers

halcyoncmdr

So as we all know Sprint offers the Airave devices to help in-home coverage issues. It requires a high-speed Internet connection and creates a miniature cell site inside your home (femtocell).

Sprint has offered these for free or deeply discounted for quite a while to customers with little to no coverage in their home. The requirements for determining eligibility have changed according to what I've heard. There hasn't been an official communication to retail employees as we don't deal with Airaves directly, so do take it with a grain of salt, and remember it can change again at any time.

This information comes from a conversation with a member on the Airave team that determines customer eligibility to assist our store in providing accurate information to our customers that we refer to their team for coverage issues.

To be eligible for a FREE Airave, the account must have 4+ active lines.

Otherwise, the account is eligible for purchasing the Airave at full retail price ($280), or with a 2-year contract commitment for a discounted price ($130).

My assumption is that since Network Vision is ramping up to full speed and should be completed within the next year or so, the increase in coverage availability from the 800MHz deployment and enhanced capability of the new equipment in general is anticipated to remove the need for Airave devices for most customers.
  • Like 2

I can confirm this. I got mine about 3 weeks ago. First lady told me I had to have 4 phone for her to do anything (I only have the Connect 2 at this time).  Then was sent to retention.  They gave me the options for buying as mention above, and had the monthly fees waived.   

Just when Sprint is taking steps forward they get comfortable and some idiot in the cubicle living in jam packed quarter mile tower spacing area comes up with this crazy idea.  Two steps back.  I know several people that wouldn't have Sprint, including myself, if they were charged for the Airave or service.

I know no carrier guarantees service in your home but when Verizon, AT&T, and even exTel (left the N of on purpose) provided service in the home its kind hard for the average non-wireless educated consumer to not think Sprint should have coverage in their home when everyone else does. 

With that being said I do hope that 800SMR will fix the coverage in my home but I'm not holding my breath as they still haven't done any work to my home site anyways.  I was hoping to shut down my Airave and bring it to a friends house as 800SMR will not fix the coverage at his house, only a new site would.  He has a few Sprint relatives/visitors from time to time but at least Verizon/AT&T/exTel provided good roaming coverage there but no Sprint CDMA for many miles.  So I hope they don't pull these things from us.

You can tell that's an official Sprint document, as the word "free" is in all-caps.

Frankly, this makes little sense; if the need for Airaves is going down, the cost issue should solve itself, as fewer people will need and request them.

I think the churn rate is going to go up a (tiny) bit. You'd think that sending one of these babies out for free would be cheaper than paying VZW roaming costs for 49% of some sub's voice/data...

I got my AIRRAVE in my Charlotte condo and it has worked as expected since I no longer miss phone calls like I did previously!!!   I do wonder sometimes when my Galaxy S3 would switch to it...  Sometimes, the phone hangs on to another weaker Sprint tower or sometimes it roams even when I'm in the same roam as the device...  I did a little testing and found that indeed, if it was still hanging with its previous connection, it will call out using it ( no "beep beep") sometimes...  other times, it seems to switch to the AirRave connection before calling..

I got my device free..  I do have 5 lines on my account...  But only my 3 have actually used it... 

While signal has generally improved in my area when the legacy equipment went offline and NV went online, I'm still within the IBEZ so I hope those types of situations are taken into account.

If this truly is due to 800 being rolled out, I wonder what the percentage of devices currently active are that cannot use it. I'll tell you right now, we sell a staggering amount of iPhone 4 and 4S's.

I will return mine if that's the case lol!   I love how sprint thinks 800 will fix there dead spots because of there lack of towers. 

Current customers are not effected. This is only for determining new Airave devices being sent out.

While signal has generally improved in my area when the legacy equipment went offline and NV went online, I'm still within the IBEZ so I hope those types of situations are taken into account.

Much of my home market is within the IBEZ as well, but some sites here (that I thought would be unable to get 800, are slated for it.

X2. I understand phones are expensive but when I tell people the 5 is better due to different signals it can connect to they just blow it off.

Just tell then the phone will get better signal, and will work in places the cheaper phones won't. Then notate it on the account so if they call in and complain a few months down the line, another rep can tell them the same thing. :-P

I don't understand how the average person can't seem to grasp that a more expensive phone possibly can give better service and have fewer issues. There's a reason that phone is free with contract... it's not because the company wants to be nice. It's because it's inferior.

I can confirm I was told the same thing this past Tuesday July 2nd. I called the 855 number listed on the Sprint Airave web site and was told I could only get a free Airave if I had 4 active lines on my account. They quoted me $130 if I signed an additional 2-year contract or $280 without. I was disappointed but didn't elevate it to retention. I am hoping once the NV upgrades are done here my signal will improve just enough to not drop calls. Living in a giant stucco apartment faraday cage wreaks havoc on my 1900 signal.

And unless they change the PRL priority for iPhones, I will have to wait for a new jailbreak to install digiblur's 800MHz testing PRL.

I will return mine if that's the case lol! I love how sprint thinks 800 will fix there dead spots because of there lack of towers.

Current customers are not effected. This is only for determining new Airave devices being sent out.

Much of my home market is within the IBEZ as well, but some sites here (that I thought would be unable to get 800, are slated for it.

X2. I understand phones are expensive but when I tell people the 5 is better due to different signals it can connect to they just blow it off.

Just tell then the phone will get better signal, and will work in places the cheaper phones won't. Then notate it on the account so if they call in and complain a few months down the line, another rep can tell them the same thing. :-P

I don't understand how the average person can't seem to grasp that a more expensive phone possibly can give better service and have fewer issues. There's a reason that phone is free with contract... it's not because the company wants to be nice. It's because it's inferior.

Oh I do. I'm an android guy through and through so it's not too often I sell an iPhone unless a customer specifically asks for one. I sell more s4's due to me having one and talking about mine. Therefore no signal problems!