Question for Photon Q owners experiencing the Sensorly map-halting issue

PythonFanPA

Those of you with P-Q's, I need to ask something, as its been a a possible theory I have on this issue:  are any or all of you, when experiencing the mapping problem with this, also using a bluetooth connection of any kind actively at the same time?

The reason I ask is that I did some mapping today in one of the towns in the area I cover with work, and I had the mapping process go 23-24 minutes today without crapping out on me at all (I finally manually stopped it when I had to get back to what I was doing from my lunch break). This was in a work vehicle in which I had no bluetooth connection going on with anything. Comparatively, ever since the JB update, usually the highest I hit was not even 15 minutes (and most of the time 10 or less) before the halt on the mapping process occurred, and every time I've tried to map since the JB update (up until today), I've also been connected to my car's aftermarket Kenwood KDC-X597 receiver via a bluetooth connection for phone and possible streaming connectivity through the phone (though not always with active phone call or streaming in progress when the halt happened, just a live bluetooth connection).

Its entirely possible I was just extremely lucky today, but I'm curious to see if anyone can say 100% without a doubt they still had the mapping process halt with bluetooth completely disabled on the phone.

• Like 2

. . .

are any or all of you, when experiencing the mapping problem with this, also using a bluetooth connection of any kind actively at the same time?

. . .

I can't thank you enough! After disabling bluetooth, I had the first perfect mapping trip in months.

:D  :tu:

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I have to report that the bluetooth connectivity is not the root cause of this.  It may 'speed it up' somehow, but during mapping attempts the past 2 days to/from visiting family for the 4th, I had the mapping process halting problem still happen with no bluetooth enabled at all, and still shows at least a triple-digit reading in the battery usage afterwards.

The good news is the Sensorly dev is supposedly going to be adding me as a beta tester, so hopefully I can help get this issue nailed down so it can be fixed.

• Like 4

As of today I'm officially on the beta stream of the app.  I'll be making a trip up to PA next Friday and returning on the 28th, so hopefully with 2 650ish mile trips to try mapping on it'll help the dev figure out what's causing this.

• Like 2

Happy to report that while I can't say 100% for certain yet this issue is completely solved on the beta stream, progress is being made.  The root cause has definitely been identified;  apparently Motorola phones don't report battery statistics correctly (or at least normally compared to other phones) in Android. The dev had found an undocumented workaround previously which worked up till now, but something in the JB update for this phone changed things.  When I sent him log files to review, he discovered that the phone wasn't reporting to the app properly in 10% increments, but rather over a 20 second period it reported 70, then 100, then -14 percent (weird I know).  

He put out a new update on the beta stream the next day, and after I had a ~50 minute work road trip to another office that I tested with (and I made a point to have bluetooth on even though I didn't have another device to pair to), the mapping process didn't halt during that frame of time.  My Friday trip 9-10 hour drive to PA will be the true litmus test, but if nothing else, this is definitely progress!  :tu:

• Like 3