Change in Terms & Conditions - New Agreements on the Sprint 4G (WiMAX) Network

NightShift

When I received this month's Sprint bill there was a note on page 2 that the Terms & Conditions would be changing.  Following the link www.sprint.com/termsandconditions I found this:

New Agreements on the Sprint 4G (WiMAX) Network: Your Service on a device activated on the Sprint 4G (WiMAX) Network may require a new one or two-year Agreement per line. Sprint expressly reserves the right to migrate your Service during this Agreement term from the Sprint 4G (WiMAX) Network to the Sprint 4G LTE network to complete your Agreement term. Reasonable advance notice of the Service change will be provided to impacted customers, who can then select one of the following options: (a) Choose to complete the Agreement term using your existing device without 4G (WiMAX) capability ( B) Elect to complete the Agreement term by contacting us after receiving notice from Sprint to transition to the Sprint 4G LTE network with no additional term commitment required (Transition Option)© Deactivate service. Deactivations because of this Service change will not result in an Early Termination Fee (ETF). Transition Option: If you select the Transition Option, you will receive a free standard Sprint LTE capable device and can maintain your existing Service plan, if available. During the Agreement term, Sprint may provide other offers that are separate from the Transition Option, and these offers will be subject to a new two-year Agreement per line.

Has anyone else received the same T&C notice in their latest Sprint bill or know the details of these WiMax agreements?
  • Like 8

From reading it also appears that you will be able to get an LTE device without a contract extension, wonder if any discount will be provided?  I'm very surprised that they are giving a no ETF option, the phone will supports 3G and will function.

From reading it also appears that you will be able to get an LTE device without a contract extension, wonder if any discount will be provided? I'm very surprised that they are giving a no ETF option, the phone will supports 3G and will function.

Some of us don't live in wimax areas now and only get 3g most of the time.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

I wonder if they are feeling they are losing Clearwire.  hmm...  I think it is good to make customers happy. Why not make an incentive to switch to LTE. The markets that did not get Wimax (including mine) will benefit from this promotion.

Wouldn't make me happy; I use Wimax daily at the house here in the LV area and we are probably a good year from having full NV rolled out (unless Uncle Charlie mucks things up); I lose Wimax w/o LTE I have two devices that suddenly go dark..I really don't expect Sprint to GIVE me a GS4 for my GS2 when Wimax goes dark, btw...maybe an incentive but not a freebe

I wonder if that means they won't even activate a WiMax device on my account now so I can sell my Galaxy Nexus. I was going to put my EVO Shift back on. :/

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I wonder if they are feeling they are losing Clearwire. hmm... I think it is good to make customers happy. Why not make an incentive to switch to LTE. The markets that did not get Wimax (including mine) will benefit from this promotion.

Sounds like they are hedging their bet in case dish gets some control or clear goes belly up.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Saw this coming from a few miles away that Sprint will soon start getting people off their WiMAX.

Wonder what type of phones they are letting us upgrade and if there is any activation fee's attached (even though I don't have too either way since my employee discount waivers it)

Wouldn't make me happy; I use Wimax daily at the house here in the LV area and we are probably a good year from having full NV rolled out (unless Uncle Charlie mucks things up); I lose Wimax w/o LTE I have two devices that suddenly go dark..I really don't expect Sprint to GIVE me a GS4 for my GS2 when Wimax goes dark, btw...maybe an incentive but not a freebe

Something tells me that the LTE network will be significantly complete before Sprint gets anywhere near pulling the plug on Wimax.. the pace of the NV rollout is steadily cruising along, and I don't see Sprint making a PR blunder like wiping out existing 4G customers these days.

-Mike

So just got done talking to a Sprint employee and they have confirmed that they are going to allow us to pick any smartphone we want that is compatible with LTE, but we are going to have to pay for activation though. So you can go ahead and get the HTC one or Galaxy S4 if you want. :D

So just got done talking to a Sprint employee and they have confirmed that they are going to allow us to pick any smartphone we want that is compatible with LTE, but we are going to have to pay for activation though. So you can go ahead and get the HTC one or Galaxy S4 if you want. :D

I won't be moving off of Wimax until forced to or until triband phones come out. LTE coverage in Austin remains spottier than even Wimax.

A lot of Wimax customers that signed up in 2011 like myself are due for an upgrade this year and I know most can't wait to get off the Wimax network.  I really want to help Sprint out here by moving over from WiMax to LTE but Sprint needs to offer that tri-band LTE phone at this point for me to pick up now and re-up with them.  I know I am not alone on this.  The earliest I see a mass move from Wimax to LTE will be later on this year as the NV project progresses and more areas are lit up with LTE and tri-band LTE smartphones are released.

• Like 1

Hopefully we get those tri-band phones and they are needed. This Clearwire mess is getting uglier by the day. I'd be fine with a dual-band lte phone that supports 800,1900 lte.

Sprint has officially announced that tri-band smartphones from samsung and lg will be released later on this year...so dont worry they are coming. Also sprint announced the first tri-band hotspots and usb modems to be released this summer. This was all announced at the CTIA conference in late May.

There will not be any dual band LTE smartphones at this point.

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Looks like PCWorld has caught on to the updated Sprint Wimax terms with this article.  I do wonder about this "Transition Option" for current Wimax customers.  I should swing by my local Sprint store to find out what that means.

"Transition Option: If you select the Transition Option, you will receive a free standard Sprint LTE capable device and can maintain your existing Service plan, if available."

I wonder what is the criteria in order to get a free LTE device.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2041996/new-terms-in-sprint-contracts-look-toward-wimax-shutdown.html

Sprint has officially announced that tri-band smartphones from samsung and lg will be released later on this year...so dont worry they are coming. Also sprint announced the first tri-band hotspots and usb modems to be released this summer. This was all announced at the CTIA conference in late May.

There will not be any dual band LTE smartphones at this point.

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

What I meant by my comment was aimed more at potentially having the tri-band phones and being able to use all three bands at some point. Right now Clearwire's board is playing hardball to the extreme by voting to reject Sprint's offer in favor of Dish Network. Does this mean Sprint loses the spectrum? Absolutely not as they are still the majority owner, but most likely this could play out for a very long time with Dish winding up getting something out of the deal. So even if tri-band LTE phones comes out this year, it could be awhile before we see Clearwire's LTE network. http://www.kansascity.com/2013/06/12/4288733/sprint-officials-hold-uneventful.html

What I meant by my comment was aimed more at potentially having the tri-band phones and being able to use all three bands at some point. Right now Clearwire's board is playing hardball to the extreme by voting to reject Sprint's offer in favor of Dish Network. Does this mean Sprint loses the spectrum? Absolutely not as they are still the majority owner, but most likely this could play out for a very long time with Dish winding up getting something out of the deal. So even if tri-band LTE phones comes out this year, it could be awhile before we see Clearwire's LTE network. http://www.kansascity.com/2013/06/12/4288733/sprint-officials-hold-uneventful.html

I think Sprint is going to wait until the Dish vote for Clearwire to see how much minority shareholder support they need to win over.  The Dish vote is going nowhere anyways since Sprint will just vote down any deal that Dish proposes.  Sprint can convert their financing they lent to Clearwire as additional ownership stake which equates to a total of 68%.  Either way Sprint and Clearwire still have an existing TD-LTE wholesale agreement to provide TD-LTE to Sprint customers.  I think we will see TD-LTE in use by end of 2013.

Worst case is that Sprint and Clearwire drag this saga until end of November where Sprint can change the bylaws to only require a majority vote needed for business related transactions. 

Looks like PCWorld has caught on to the updated Sprint Wimax terms with this article. I do wonder about this "Transition Option" for current Wimax customers. I should swing by my local Sprint store to find out what that means.

"Transition Option: If you select the Transition Option, you will receive a free standard Sprint LTE capable device and can maintain your existing Service plan, if available."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2041996/new-terms-in-sprint-contracts-look-toward-wimax-shutdown.html

If you come in you will find dumbstruck looks. There has been no communication at the store level about this. The first I've have heard of this is this thread.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Looks like PCWorld has caught on to the updated Sprint Wimax terms with this article.  I do wonder about this "Transition Option" for current Wimax customers.  I should swing by my local Sprint store to find out what that means.

If you get to swap out any WiMAX device for a free LTE device, then what you get should be a third hand used Galaxy Nexus that had belonged to a leper.

:P

AJ

If it's free I'm betting sprint flash or force or maybe a LG viper. Stores are overflowing with those in inventory and they don't sell.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2