I could go gangsta on my daughter (Iphone 4S)

jonathanm1978

Just added a line last month for my 12 year-old daughter..and I'll be d%$@@ if my daughter didn't get her phone wet, or something, and now the screen on this 4S won't come on. Makes noises, apparently it's on...but no screen at all.

Tried rice...nope.

Asurion website = $200 for the stupid deductible.

Going to be paying for a line without a phone attached to it now for a while....

Not sure they can even repair that...

Just added a line last month for my 12 year-old daughter..and I'll be d%$@@ if my daughter didn't get her phone wet, or something, and now the screen on this 4S won't come on. Makes noises, apparently it's on...but no screen at all.

Tried rice...nope.

Going to be paying for a line without a phone attached to it now for a while....

buy a cheap used phone on eBay. You should be able to get an ok smart phone for well under $200

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Check the liquid damage indicators. There's one inside the headphone jack, one under the dock connector.

If it's not actually physically or liquid damaged, take it in to a Sprint Repair Center, they'll swap you out another one for free, as long as you have the protection plan.

So why would someone pay insurance when they can not use it in the first place? Shouldn't have bought the phone in the first place if that was the case.

I keep mine in an Otterbox and then self insure my devices and pay myself. If I break the device then I take that money that I am making interest on and buy a new device or pay for the repair.

• Like 2

So why would someone pay insurance when they can not use it in the first place? Shouldn't have bought the phone in the first place if that was the case.I keep mine in an Otterbox and then self insure my devices and pay myself. If I break the device then I take that money that I am making interest on and buy a new device or pay for the repair.

Otterbox makes one of the best cases on the market with a lifetime warranty. I have used them since I got my first smart phone so I dropped my insurance too after I found out a good case means everything to the life of a device. I work outdoors a lot in the dust and dirt and I can take my year old EVO LTE out of the case and it still looks new.

Those life proof cases are nice too. My buddy has one. I am gonna grab one for my i5 next time in in the store. They are supposedly waterproof to a certain degree. Have any of you guys had one of them?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Those life proof cases are nice too. My buddy has one. I am gonna grab one for my i5 next time in in the store. They are supposedly waterproof to a certain degree. Have any of you guys had one of them?

Life proof was bought out by Otterbox earlier this year.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Ahhh I see! Didn't know that. The case my buddy has from life proof is alot slimmer than the otter box I had on my i4s. My otter box was big and bulky. The life proof just looks and feels better to me. From what he said tho they do t come cheap.

Tried rice...nope.

My wife's phone spent 4 days in the snow this winter, only to be found on a rainy day which melted all the snow. I thought it was a gonner for sure, but I kept it in a bag of rice for a full week. It still functioned but the battery would drain constantly, only lasted about 6 hours at a time. Used a wooden toothpick soaked in the highest % rubbing alcohol I could find, then cleaned the hack out of the charging port. After a couple days, phone started functioning as normal again. Not that this will work for every "drowned" iPhone, but worth a shot. Worst thing you can do is to keep using it while still having moisture in there, that will fry the circuitry which will turn the phone into a nice looking brick.

I will say this - although my son is not 12 yet, but whenever he's old enough for his first smartphone it'll be Otter-boxed to the hilt.

So why would someone pay insurance when they can not use it in the first place? Shouldn't have bought the phone in the first place if that was the case.

I keep mine in an Otterbox and then self insure my devices and pay myself. If I break the device then I take that money that I am making interest on and buy a new device or pay for the repair.

Awesome! I hate hearing all the sales people and the csr's saying you should have insurance blah blah blah. I take care of my phones I am not going to pay for insurance and then be forced to pay an outrageous deductible if something were to happen to my phone. What a scam.

Awesome! I hate hearing all the sales people and the csr's saying you should have insurance blah blah blah. I take care of my phones I am not going to pay for insurance and then be forced to pay an outrageous deductible if something were to happen to my phone. What a scam.

The silver lining in the deal is this means one less non-Sensorly mapping phone out in the wild.

• Like 3

The silver lining in the deal is this means one less non-Sensorly mapping phone out in the wild.

Ha! Digiblur, you are such the optimist...but don't forget, this phone was for a 12 year old girl and probably made her the happiest girl in school until it took its fatal bath. I don't know too many 12 year old girls that are mapping out the territories of Sprint's Network Vision progress anyway.

Ok, now let's all have some self-control and refrain from the inevitable "iPhones are for 12 year old girl" comments....

• Like 2

don't they sell those super absorbant cell phone drying products. Better then rice. It's supposedly guaranteed. I forget the name of the products.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ha! Digiblur, you are such the optimist...but don't forget, this phone was for a 12 year old girl and probably made her the happiest girl in school until it took its fatal bath. I don't know too many 12 year old girls that are mapping out the territories of Sprint's Network Vision progress anyway.

Ok, now let's all have some self-control and refrain from the inevitable "iPhones are for 12 year old girl" comments....

Try leaving it in a bag of rice for a few weeks. Took me 40 days to dry out my iPhone 4S after i went swimming with it. I was able to get it fully functioning except for a small water mark on the top right corner of the screen. My water indicators to this day are redddddddddd, but it works.  Moms been using it for almost a year. 

Based on the updated thread title, instead of an iPhone, maybe you should have gotten your daughter a Gangsta Bitch Barbie.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/gangsta-bitch-barbie/n10728/

AJ

• Like 2

i am surprised a 12 year old would be given an iPhone ***without a preteen-life-proof case***

Fixed that for you. I personally bought an iPhone 5 for my 13-YO little brother. He's a precocious little genius of a shit, and deserves to be able to google/wiki/research topics as they come up during the day. Pretending that we are superior to teens is counterproductive. Most adults I know don't do much useful with their lives. Teen brains are at peak functioning. Genius teen brains may solve some pretty big problems before life starts rotting their optimism and creativity. People like you stifle progress in your misguided superiority.

/rant

• Like 1

Otterbox makes one of the best cases on the market with a lifetime warranty. I have used them since I got my first smart phone so I dropped my insurance too after I found out a good case means everything to the life of a device. I work outdoors a lot in the dust and dirt and I can take my year old EVO LTE out of the case and it still looks new.

The Otterbox warranty is now one year.

Fixed that for you. I personally bought an iPhone 5 for my 13-YO little brother. He's a precocious little genius of a shit, and deserves to be able to google/wiki/research topics as they come up during the day. Pretending that we are superior to teens is counterproductive. Most adults I know don't do much useful with their lives. Teen brains are at peak functioning. Genius teen brains may solve some pretty big problems before life starts rotting their optimism and creativity. People like you stifle progress in your misguided superiority.

/rant

I would really enjoy knowing how old you are.  You have a 13 year old brother.  In that case, are you still a teen or just removed from your teen years?  I would probably put my money on that bet.

;)

AJ

/rant

I would really enjoy knowing how old you are. You have a 13 year old brother. In that case, are you still a teen or just removed from your teen years? I would probably put my money on that bet.

;)

AJ

6 years old, trust fund baby, one of three. older brother of new parent (13) needed a phone. So, I bought him one. Imagine the clerk's curiosity at the Apple store when the name on my Amex black matched my passport...

So, ageism is illegal when it prevents a senile 65-y-o from keeping a job a more qualified 30-y-o might do, but yet, when a potentially more-qualified 13-y-o gets a smartphone, the "adults" get distracted from waging wars and fighting about religion and stealing from each other "legally" and get in a tizzy about how $600 was wasted on someone who cannot possibly utilize such value. I have yet to meet more than a handful of adults who properly make use of even 10% of the capability of their smartphone.

The above is implausible of course. For one, the clerk would probably not permit me to sign, no matter what my passport or Amex said. Anyway... IRL, your question. Though it should not matter particularly, I am the oldest of a few, and late twenties. It'd be interesting if I was still a teen but could afford my little bro an iPhone, which actually would make me pretty generous I suppose, unless I were a teen celebrity or something. As for whether "late twenties" counts as "just removed from your teen years" ... I suppose that is up for debate. I rather feel like it probably does. According to science, my cognitive ability has been on the decline for over half a decade, so the closer I can feel to being late teens as opposed to late twenties, I consider a positive thing. :)

i am surprised a 12 year old would be given an iPhone.

This. In the future I would say get one of those LifeProof cases for anyone under the age of 18. Just preventative measures, but they go a long way. I don't take my phone anywhere I know it can drop in water, call me paranoid, but it's better than losing my $200 investment.

I hope you manage to get it fixed, and next time buy a good case that's EVERYTHING proof :P

-Luis