Samsung GS4 SPH-L720T [TRI-BAND] (was "Sprint GS4 with Tri-Band support this Fall Official Thread")

Ascertion

2500 and 2600 are the same LTE Band. LTE Band 41. Some people call or 2500, and others call it 2600. They're pretty interchangeable. EBS is mostly in 2500 and BRS is mostly in 2600, but both are combined into one LTE band.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Wrong. 2600 refers to Band 7, while 2500 refers to Band 41 (according to frequency indication conventions).

Since you started it...

Wrong!

LTE Band 41 is a TDD band from 2496 - 2690MHz. It's the same as WiMax. It's a roll up band for the 2500 and 2600 that includes the EBS band and BRS Band.

http://niviuk.free.fr/lte_band.php

• Like 2

2500 and 2600 are the same LTE Band. LTE Band 41. Some people call or 2500, and others call it 2600. They're pretty interchangeable. EBS is mostly in 2500 and BRS is mostly in 2600, but both are combined into one LTE band.

Wrong. 2600 refers to Band 7, while 2500 refers to Band 41 (according to frequency indication conventions).

Upon re-reading, maybe you're referring to unofficial naming nomenclature, like in the way people refer to Cellular as 800, but better described as 850.

Upon re-reading, maybe you're referring to unofficial naming nomenclature, like in the way people refer to Cellular as 800, but better described as 850.

Yeah, that's what I'm referring to. It's partially determined by middle downlink frequency, but not always.

Yeah, that's what I'm referring to. It's partially determined by middle downlink frequency, but not always.

Thanks for the clarification. I initially read your post to say that Band 41 did not cover 2600MHz at all.

Ok... sorry but does the above info from my post indicate that GS4 ACTIVE will be tri-band?

The Galaxy S4 Active supports the following:

GSM 850/900/1800/1900

UMTS 850/900/1900/2100 (bands V, VIII, II, I)

LTE 800/850/900/1800/2100/2600 (band classes 20, 5, 8, 3, 1, 7)

The AT&T model swaps UMTS 900 (Band VIII) and the LTE band set for:

LTE 700/850/AWS/1900/2100 (band classes 17, 5, 4, 2, 1)

So, no. This device is useless with Sprint, since it doesn't even operate a UMTS-1900 (band II) network or a LTE band 2 network, much less an LTE band 7 one.

Also of note: if a device supports both 2500 and 2600, then it supports bands 38 and 7, not bands 41 and 7 (normally). At this moment, there are no parts that support BC 7, 38, and 41 simultaneously. Band 7 and 38 can be supported, or Band 41 can be supported.

• Like 1

Eh, I question that, as I have not seen any official documentation.  And even if there is official documentation, I would call it baloney.

For me, I have standardized on 2600 MHz because it is closest to the center of the band.  Call it a happy medium.  But I definitely agree with Robert that people use 2500 MHz, 2600 MHz, 2.5 GHz, and 2.6 GHz all interchangeably.

AJ

• Like 1

The Galaxy S4 Active supports the following:

GSM 850/900/1800/1900

UMTS 850/900/1900/2100 (bands V, VIII, II, I)

LTE 800/850/900/1800/2100/2600 (band classes 20, 5, 8, 3, 1, 7)

The AT&T model swaps UMTS 900 (Band VIII) and the LTE band set for:

LTE 700/850/AWS/1900/2100 (band classes 17, 5, 4, 2, 1)

So, no. This device is useless with Sprint, since it doesn't even operate a UMTS-1900 (band II) network or a LTE band 2 network, much less an LTE band 7 one.

Also of note: if a device supports both 2500 and 2600, then it supports bands 38 and 7, not bands 41 and 7 (normally). At this moment, there are no parts that support BC 7, 38, and 41 simultaneously. Band 7 and 38 can be supported, or Band 41 can be supported.

sad-300x300.png

• Like 5

Eh, I question that, as I have not seen any official documentation.  And even if there is official documentation, I would call it baloney.

For me, I have standardized on 2600 MHz because it is closest to the center of the band.  Call it a happy medium.  But I definitely agree with Robert that people use 2500 MHz, 2600 MHz, 2.5 GHz, and 2.6 GHz all interchangeably.

AJ

Personally, I use 2.6GHz to refer to all three bands, but unofficially the official denotation for Band 41 is 2500. The official denotation for Band 7 is 2600, and Band 38 is undecided, though leaning toward 2500 as well (though handsets that support 2500/2600 are referring to Bands 38+7 being supported). Using frequency indicators is a rather annoying way to determine banding for devices, though...

Parts that support Bands 38+7 and 41 simultaneously are coming, though. Fairly soon, the frequency/band class thing may become merely an academic thing.

Well, I like to think that I have a knack for sensible naming conventions.  I long ago decided on band 41 TD-LTE 2600, and I am sticking to it.

I used to refer to WiMAX 2500/2600 and BRS/EBS 2500/2600 MHz.  The problem with the latter, though, is that it sounded as if BRS is primarily 2500 MHz and EBS is primarily 2600 MHz.  However, the opposite is the case.  So, I had to choose, and 2600 MHz just made more sense.  Otherwise, a TD-LTE carrier could be at the high end of band 41, nearly 200 MHz removed from 2500 MHz, and that just would not make sense from a naming perspective.

AJ

Or we can call it what I once heard Bob Azzi call it, "Two dot six."   :lol:

Robert

• Like 2

Just got told that, as the Tri-Band S4 gets produced, it will start replacing the original S4 in inventory as it gets rolled out, and nobody will see a difference in packaging, etc. Somehow, this seems like a phenomenally bad idea. I also don't think it's true, as this was "water cooler" talk. Take it with a bucket of salt.

Its sounding like there is a possibility of a Sprint Galaxy S4 to support tri-band LTE?  I hope this is true but then again I don't know if Sprint has had any track record of releasing an updated version of a device.

• Like 1

My guess is that it is actually a Note 3 being tested... maybe under the cover of GS4?

Maybe, maybe not. I though that Qualcomm was only in the US. Then again, I didn't do much research. I hear the 800 is a beast, though.

• Like 1

I'd rather see Sprint update the HTC One, and/or get an Optimus G Pro with tri-band LTE. 

I agree.  I'm feeling the One but I wouldn't want to get that and then not be able to use LTE 800 if it comes out in my area within 2 years.

I don't want to be a tester for first tri band device.  Ill wait a year just like most electronics they have to fix real field problems

That thought crossed my mind too.  I don't really want a repeat of the Evo LTE issues with my next phone.

Edited by Jaggrey
  • Like 1

I don't want to be a tester for first tri band device.  Ill wait a year just like most electronics they have to fix real field problems

Good idea there. I need to wait anyway I have a note 2 so it will be awhile before I can upgrade again.

I'm assuming we all mean 3 LTE bands not just PCS, 800 Mhz CDMA, and 2600 TDD LTE.

To further that link here is another showing it will support carrier aggregation.

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-lte-advanced-with-snapdragon-800-processor-spotted-12-06-2013/

My upgrade is august 1....

I really hope a tri band is out by then.

And that its the active.

The active has a replaceable battery right? Is the processor same as the standard G4 or is it gimped?

Doubt it. The next flagship phones are due in oct and nov. I can upgrade now and it pains me that i have to wait until Oct for the note 3 since i want that tri-band lte support.

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

Just saying, the last 2 years, Motorola has released a Sprint device around October, so we'll see if Google's ownership makes an impression on this year's device.  The last 2 years has been Motorola handling things, itself.

I'm expecting a late October/Early November for the next flagship.  May even be the Note III.

Just saying, the last 2 years, Motorola has released a Sprint device around October, so we'll see if Google's ownership makes an impression on this year's device. The last 2 years has been Motorola handling things, itself.

I'm expecting a late October/Early November for the next flagship. May even be the Note III.

The photon 4g actually hit stores in july.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2