HTC One max [Tri-Band] (was "HTC "Phablet" aka "T6"")

themuffinman

I took the plunge while switching to the framily plan and got the HTC one max today.. so far some teething problems but figuring it out... I hate how WiFi keeps coming on when I turn it off.. but love the screen real estate will be switching between this and the nexus 5 for the foreseeable future...

I took the plunge while switching to the framily plan and got the HTC one max today.. so far some teething problems but figuring it out... I hate how WiFi keeps coming on when I turn it off.. but love the screen real estate will be switching between this and the nexus 5 for the foreseeable future...

That wifi thing is called connection optimizer its under the network settings. Turn it off.

Sent from tapatalk

That wifi thing is called connection optimizer its under the network settings. Turn it off.

Sent from tapatalk

Yeah I found it after some more playing around... Now I have to fix a potential billing issue because the Sprint rep didn't add unlimited back to my plan... And I went over already in a day..but loving the phone

ok so i just got back from a sprint store and played with the one max, first i have to say i'm really liking the big screen! secondly, this may be common knowledge that i missed while reading this thread but i installed signalcheck lite while i was there and was surprised to see that it was showing both the GCI and PCI! this is one of my negatives against this phone that just went away :)

IMAG0657.jpg

i couldn't really compare RF performance when compared to my EVO 4G LTE since the tower sits right behind the store so both phones had around -85db. and with my sleek getting me LTE at work, which is the only place i really need it, negating (for me) the RF differences between the one max and the n5 i'm starting to really lean towards it :) there is still the 14 day return on easy pay, with a $35 restocking fee, so i can always try it and return if it really is worse. i might also wait till the flex comes out since it will be soon and see what the phone is like. thanks all for the opinions and help :D

• Like 4

ok so i just got back from a sprint store and played with the one max, first i have to say i'm really liking the big screen! secondly, this may be common knowledge that i missed while reading this thread but i installed signalcheck lite while i was there and was surprised to see that it was showing both the GCI and PCI! this is one of my negatives against this phone that just went away :)

Love that you threw SignalCheck on the store display, that's great! I believe that is the first screenshot of the app on a One Max that I have seen.. and I love it. Every possible parameter is appearing, including the LTE frequency.. awesome! Glad to see that new HTC devices still use enough of the same radio code to make it work.

-Mike

• Like 3

Love that you threw SignalCheck on the store display, that's great! I believe that is the first screenshot of the app on a One Max that I have seen.. and I love it. Every possible parameter is appearing, including the LTE frequency.. awesome! Glad to see that new HTC devices still use enough of the same radio code to make it work.

-Mike

glad i could be of service! :) the guys at my work were giving me crap for it when i was showing them when i got back ;) i tried to install it on the galaxy mega but it was giving an error, i set it to reboot and went to look at the G2 and forgot to go back to the mega to try it again :)

So as I know have an active spark device and a device that isn't spark enabled yet my nexus 5. The tower i kept disconnecting from with my nexus 5 but would connect fine with my mom's LG optimus g which is single band... I still can't connect to it with the HTC one max. But I did pick up band 41 from that tower... But something is still wrong with the tower as it should have band 25 that isn't transimitting to devices.. that was at street level I got that speed from my apt it's more like 12-18mbps

So as I know have an active spark device and a device that isn't spark enabled yet my nexus 5. The tower i kept disconnecting from with my nexus 5 but would connect fine with my mom's LG optimus g which is single band... I still can't connect to it with the HTC one max. But I did pick up band 41 from that tower... But something is still wrong with the tower as it should have band 25 that isn't transimitting to devices.. that was at street level I got that speed from my apt it's more like 12-18mbps

Sounds like a eCSFB issue. Where did you test the B41?

Has anyone connected to b41 with a HTC max? I had one but returned it and holding out for now...never connected to b41 in Columbus Ohio.

G2 and n5 have connected burr have to tinker with band priorities...anyway to change the band priority so he can connect or try?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Has anyone connected to b41 with a HTC max? I had one but returned it and holding out for now...never connected to b41 in Columbus Ohio.

G2 and n5 have connected burr have to tinker with band priorities...anyway to change the band priority so he can connect or try?

I have connected to Band 41 before, and again, it did work. At -100 dBm I hovered around 25 to 40 mpbs. Chances are if you are not connected to Band 41, its not there. The phone has Band 41 as a higher priority. If i cycled through airplane mode at home, I would initially connect to Band 25 and then get pushed over to band 41 ten seconds later. 

-Mike

If you connect to Band 41, Signal Check will not mention the center frequency. It will omit that option. I don't have a screenshot on hand from Signal Check, but whenever I connected to Band 41, it had everything other than the channel frequency. Signal Check only displays the frequency for PCS as far as I know. Band 26 is unknown at this time. 

Sounds like a eCSFB issue. Where did you test the B41?

this tower is in the west bx off the 1 line on 230th and bway...It seems to be coming from a shared tower with pcs and brs panels so I am I a straight line of sight, but far distance from that tower when I am in my living room. The band 41 gets picked up then drops to the stronger band 25 signal but it can't hold that cconnection as active. So it will cycle again to the band 41 till a data connection is established or else it will give up and drop to 3g... I've already contacted Sprint about so I'll be keeping an eye on if and when it changes..

If you connect to Band 41, Signal Check will not mention the center frequency. It will omit that option. I don't have a screenshot on hand from Signal Check, but whenever I connected to Band 41, it had everything other than the channel frequency. Signal Check only displays the frequency for PCS as far as I know. Band 26 is unknown at this time.

Hmm that's interesting, thanks for the heads up. I will see if there is anything on my end I can change to get it working. PM me a screenshot if you happen to catch one.

-Mike

Alright so before I exchange my device has anyone had any handoff issues... Does it park on 3g and not connect to lte without being forced by you ? I'm not sure if this is just a software issue than can be corrected.... mine doesn't handoff after sitting on 3g for hours I have observed... Only  if i do a prl or a profile update will it connect temporarily until it loses reception again...

Alright so before I exchange my device has anyone had any handoff issues... Does it park on 3g and not connect to lte without being forced by you ? I'm not sure if this is just a software issue than can be corrected.... mine doesn't handoff after sitting on 3g for hours I have observed... Only  if i do a prl or a profile update will it connect temporarily until it loses reception again...

This sounds like a very common CSFB issue. Read more on the subject. 

• Like 1

I'm aware... 

This sounds like a very common CSFB issue. Read more on the subject. 

I'm aware.. So you have had this happen to you as well? I only am asking because I had the nexus 5 and it wasn't having these issues... But it also wasn't spark enabled so may have acted differently... But I can't be sure with out another device so hence my question...

I'm aware... 

I'm aware.. So you have had this happen to you as well? I only am asking because I had the nexus 5 and it wasn't having these issues... But it also wasn't spark enabled so may have acted differently... But I can't be sure with out another device so hence my question...

Its a possibility that your phone is defective. The Spark update should have nothing to do with this situation, as the Nexus 5 ultimately still relies on CSFB with or without the other bands enabled. What might be happening is the One Max is trying to connect to Band 41 and the CSFB issue starts there. Or that the Nexus 5 connects to an LTE tower further away, whereas the One Max can't. Its a lot of trouble shooting. 

From my experience, my One Max connected to band 25 (1.9 GHz) first, then switched to Band 41 (2.5 GHz) once it was available. 

To be perfectly honest, if the phone exchange is free I would go for it. Two models in a row to be defective is very slim. 

Its a possibility that your phone is defective. The Spark update should have nothing to do with this situation, as the Nexus 5 ultimately still relies on CSFB with or without the other bands enabled. What might be happening is the One Max is trying to connect to Band 41 and the CSFB issue starts there. Or that the Nexus 5 connects to an LTE tower further away, whereas the One Max can't. Its a lot of trouble shooting. 

From my experience, my One Max connected to band 25 (1.9 GHz) first, then switched to Band 41 (2.5 GHz) once it was available. 

To be perfectly honest, if the phone exchange is free I would go for it. Two models in a row to be defective is very slim. 

It's not but I have a few more days to see if it's a tower issue or a device issue... I would have to pay the 35 restock fee... 

no, mine switch between 3G and LTE by itself, may not always be quick but it does get back to 4G LTE.

Edited by bitslizer

no, mine switch between 3G and LTE by itself, may not always be quick but it does get back to 4G LTE.

I was able to talk to retentions and not regular customer service they are definitely doing tower work in my area hence my recent issues... I speak with regular customer service they don't seem to know anything...But I am glad it's not a device issue I just got my nellkin tempered glass screen protector... It's so lovely... I hate screen protectors but this Nillkin is awesome!

I was able to talk to retentions and not regular customer service they are definitely doing tower work in my area hence my recent issues... I speak with regular customer service they don't seem to know anything...But I am glad it's not a device issue I just got my nellkin tempered glass screen protector... It's so lovely... I hate screen protectors but this Nillkin is awesome!

Their cases are really nice

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

did a little more signal strength comparison while i was at the store yesterday getting switched over to framily. I was comparing my EVO 4G LTE next to each phone, but could not compare the different phones directly next to each other as they were obviously tied down and some were on opposite ends of the store.

The two main ones i was interested in where the One Max and the Galaxy Mega. When comparing signal strength with signalcheck up on both phones and with them sitting next to each other, my phone was hovering around -89 to -90 db. The One Max was hovering around -84 to -85 db. so about a 4 to 5 db increase there.

when compared to the galaxy mega again my phone had around a -89 db signal, the mega was at -82 db, so about 7 db better.

with a tower sitting directly behind the store and the signals being so strong i know that may not translate when dealing with weaker signals of -110 or higher, but it was at least good to see that the one max was at least better and not exactly the same.

right now i'm going to wait for the LF G Flex to come out and see what its like. hopefully being made by LG will mean it has RF reception on par with the G2 and N5. then i will probably choose between that or the One Max :)

• Like 1

Max,

I tested the MAX for the 14 days and 3g and lte was much better than my current evo lte. Picks up lte much sooner than the evo, really liked it!

If the MAX is better than the EVO LTE, but the max is not as good as the S4 (band 25) I shudder to think how bad the EVO LTE is......

seem the S4 have similar if not better performance than the Mega, i regularly see 5-7db better SNR on my wife's S4 side by side to my MAX

So I think the snow definitely affected band 41 propagation. But, band 25 is back to working seamlessly and connecting.. which means it was a tower issue in my area over a device issue... I also noticed it won't switc on an active connection. It must pause before it hands off back to lte... Just observations on the network half... The batttery life seems to drop off quickly the first 20 percent of use and then park in the middle after some moderate usage.... I do have a powerflip case coming though excited about that...May look into the boombass speaker accessory as well...