HTC One max [Tri-Band] (was "HTC "Phablet" aka "T6"")

themuffinman

Its almost a 6 inch screen, and with the s-pen it's alot easier than you would think.

I have a surface pro and I'm blind, so it still wouldn't work for me.  So, like i said your sight is FANTASTIC.  (Adjusts bottlecap contacts)

Do not treat your handset as a "GameBoy." Problem solved. If you want a gaming system, get an actual gaming system.

AJ

Is the corollary to that: Do not treat you handset as a "camera." If you want a camera, get an actual camera.

Future proof? If you are not upgrading but every 2 years then wait, but you will still be behind after 6 months. apps that slow a machine down are ment for the next big thing, if you don't want that to happen, then save your money and upgrade everytime a new shiney comes out.

I'm going to make a terrible assumption here and say that the s600 and s800 are probably like the i5 and i7 respectively in that yeah the i7 is probably more efficient, but the i5 will do the same just not as quickly.

Bad assumption. Totally different SoCs there and its a decent jump too all around performance and likely efficiency too due to it being an integrated SoC no need for separate chip handling radios/modems...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Is the corollary to that: Do not treat you handset as a "camera." If you want a camera, get an actual camera.

Yup. As someone trained in photography and film, I can certainly vouch for that. Smartphone cameras are for occasional, casual usage.

AJ

• Like 3

Yup. As someone trained in photography and film, I can certainly vouch for that. Smartphone cameras are for occasional, casual usage.

AJ

But the nice thing about the high-end cellular phones today is that unless you are a professional movie maker, picture taker, movie viewer, music listener, gamer, etc etc... they really are a one-size-fits all device... you really can use your phone for pictures of the child, light gaming (anything I will do), messaging, emailing, media intake and OMG calling people...  

And just before HTC sells out they can promise that 3rd Time is the charm for the HTCthree  :rofl:

I wouldn't let the lack of split screen run you off from this device, If you wear some Gigantor jeans & can fit this in your pocket you may be a suitable candidate to carry the max. 

-Will

Not too thrilled that the HTC One Max is so thick at 10.27 mm (0.40").  Any smartphone in the 0.40" and up range in thickness is too thick in 2013.

On top of that when you add the HTC One max power flip case it just adds MOAR thickness to the phone.  In terms of pocketability HTC really dropped the ball here not only because of the huge dimensions of the height and width of the phone but the thickness of the phone really is going to deter folks from picking up the HTC One max especially if they wear skinny jeans.

Commenters on that article seem to hint that Vodafone pricing is always high, and mention that the unlocked Note 3 is over ~$1000 for them.  Plus, the article also shows that it can be picked up for ~$79 with a 2-year contract agreement, which is better than the deals we usually see in the US for a high-end device at launch.

CNET UK has a nice writeup about the max.. they point out the 600 as a negative, but also state that it's fully capable of handling any app or game available today: http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/htc-one-max-review-50012476/

-Mike

Not too thrilled that the HTC One Max is so thick at 10.27 mm (0.40").  Any smartphone in the 0.40" and up range in thickness is too thick in 2013.

On top of that when you add the HTC One max power flip case it just adds MOAR thickness to the phone.  In terms of pocketability HTC really dropped the ball here not only because of the huge dimensions of the height and width of the phone but the thickness of the phone really is going to deter folks from picking up the HTC One max especially if they wear skinny jeans.

It's 0.04 inches (<1 mm) thicker than the HTC One; is that really a significant difference to you?  Even if you feel that it is too significant, is that small of a change really a concern when you're talking about a device that measures 6.5 x 3.25?!

Anyone purchasing a device this large is not going to shy away because it is ~1mm thicker than a comparable phone about an inch smaller length and width-wise.

-Mike

• Like 2

Nearly $1,000. Ouch. Not even One Up will help your wallet at that price.

Come on, what the msrp is in europe has nothing to do with what it will be here.  A reasonable estimate for this on sprint off contract would be $650 for the 32gb.  

Come on bro its phablet, if you are worried about pocketability then just get a One/GS4, better yet just get an iphone.  It's all about options and thats the beauty of android, we have a choice.  If its not for you then thats fine, just chose something else but saying that htc dropped the ball because of its huge dimensions is a little ridiculous.  It has huge dimensions because of the huge screen. huge speakers on the front with a huge battery on the rear.  What else could you have possibly expected?

• Like 3

If you wear skinny jeans you are most likely a better candidate for the pink iPhone 5c..

• Like 10

Overall, I think this is going to be a great phone. The One is a gorgeous design. The sound from the speakers is incredible for such a small device. The screen is fantastic. Even Sense makes sense (corny enough?) as a skin. The issues I had that made me skip the regular One were inability to turn off blink feed and lack of tri-band. HTC has addressed both of those issues. If it is too big for you, don't buy it. Not everyone is suited for a Hummer or Excursion, but it fits certain tastes. I hear the battery life is ridiculous on this thing and in a pinch, you can club someone with it like a maglite for self defense. A Snapdragon 600 doesn't really matter, honestly. If it feels too dated in the next year, Sprint has an early upgrade program (actually two) for you.

• Like 3

Overall, I think this is going to be a great phone. The One is a gorgeous design. The sound from the speakers is incredible for such a small device. The screen is fantastic. Even Sense makes sense (corny enough?) as a skin. The issues I had that made me skip the regular One were inability to turn off blink feed and lack of tri-band. HTC has addressed both of those issues. If it is too big for you, don't buy it. Not everyone is suited for a Hummer or Excursion, but it fits certain tastes. I hear the battery life is ridiculous on this thing and in a pinch, you can club someone with it like a maglite for self defense. A Snapdragon 600 doesn't really matter, honestly. If it feels too dated in the next year, Sprint has an early upgrade program (actually two) for you.

" it's hard to find much good to say about the HTC One Max's design. The One's singular, expertly crafted block of anodized aluminum has been replaced by an undignified white polycarbonate band that keeps the aluminum back and front sides of the phone joined together -- kind of like elastic holding up saggy underwear. The result is even less One-like than the One Mini, which also has a white band but wears it better due to the fact it has a neater, non-removable back."

It's not like a blown up One, it's like a blown up One Mini.

" it's hard to find much good to say about the HTC One Max's design. The One's singular, expertly crafted block of anodized aluminum has been replaced by an undignified white polycarbonate band that keeps the aluminum back and front sides of the phone joined together -- kind of like elastic holding up saggy underwear. The result is even less One-like than the [/size]One Mini, which also has a white band but wears it better due to the fact it has a neater, non-removable back."[/size]

It's not like a blown up One, it's like a blown up One Mini.[/size]

Put a case on it and move on with your life.

Let's make it even thicker and bigger. No thanks

That's what he said???

:P

AJ

• Like 5

I have been mia ( sorta ) for awhile but I have been sitting on an upgrade and waiting on a "big screen" HTC for over a yr. So I am going to wait a couple weeks and see what the real world reviews are and if it doesn't have any major issues I am all in! The reason I skipped the One was because its the same size screen as this piece of crap I already have...( I am HTC all the way but the evo lte is junk as far as battery life and reception ) just my 2 cents. I still use my evo4g for areas where signal is iffy ;-)

()()