Noticeable increase in battery life after NV and stable signal..

nexgencpu

Just wondering if other people have noticed increased battery life after alot of the NV upgrades as I have here in NYC. I typically would get between 7-8hrs on a GS3 on full charge. Now, using my  girlfriends GS3, I get nearly 10hrs. That is a solid 20-30% increase in battery life. I did expect a slight bump in battery life..but not as much as I have ended up getting..

As a side note, I purchased an HTC ONE on release date and get about 12hrs on one charge with heavy use.

• Like 1

An office of my workplace used to be equidistant between two distant cell towers and any phone would lose battery life quickly in that office because the phone was constantly fighting for one tower or the other.  Will be interesting when LTE goes live near there because I suspect that issue will go away at that point.

• Like 1

Your phone needs to use less power to maintain a stable signal, and needs to scan less when it's always connected.

That being said, the general public has no idea that this happens. "I go in to roaming and my phone dies really fast. WHY!?"

I imagine once 800mhz ESMR lights up we will all get a big increase in battery life, especially in poorly covered areas. My office is in a basement where I only get 0-1 bars so it'll be night and day for me. Even with the horrible signal my phone easily gets through the day though, but you can always hope for better.

• Like 1

I imagine once 800mhz ESMR lights up we will all get a big increase in battery life, especially in poorly covered areas. My office is in a basement where I only get 0-1 bars so it'll be night and day for me. Even with the horrible signal my phone easily gets through the day though, but you can always hope for better.

I do wonder though if the phone is programmed to search for the 1900 Mhz signal over the 800 Mhz signal, and that will end up working like today where if its roaming it continually looks for a Sprint signal, killing the battery and becoming a pocket warmer.

• Like 1

I do wonder though if the phone is programmed to search for the 1900 Mhz signal over the 800 Mhz signal, and that will end up working like today where if its roaming it continually looks for a Sprint signal, killing the battery and becoming a pocket warmer.

Nope.

AJ

The local sprint site went 3g live last week and I can say that I have noticed my phone to roam much less.  This in turn has given my battery some extended life.  One thing I noticed yesterday is that I was over 10 miles from the site and still connected to it, in the past I would always roam  at half that distance.  Voice was still working fine, data on the other hand was useless at that distance(signal was -115 to -120 dbm).

• Like 1