Potential Sprint rural buildout by 2016

So this just happened about an hour ago (earlier this morning I was roaming). I'm both indoors and bit far from the tower but can test later this afternoon from an outdoor location and hopefully get LTE then (since I'm a noob, if I should use something other than signalcheck pro, please let me know). I know there are several cell towers closer to I-90 and so I don't know if sprint has any closer to the interstate, or simply hasn't switched those on yet...

PJEyJVO.png

204RKLQ.png

• Like 19

So this just happened about an hour ago (earlier this morning I was roaming). I'm both indoors and bit far from the tower but can test later this afternoon from an outdoor location and hopefully get LTE then (since I'm a noob, if I should use something other than signalcheck pro, please let me know). I know there are several cell towers closer to I-90 and so I don't know if sprint has any closer to the interstate, or simply hasn't switched those on yet...

Exciting. Project Cedar is happening, finally.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 11

I'm both indoors and bit far from the tower but can test later this afternoon from an outdoor location and hopefully get LTE then (since I'm a noob, if I should use something other than signalcheck pro, please let me know).

Definitely keep us updated!

You can go to the engineering screens and get the channel numbers for evdo and 1x. That'll tell us what frequencies they're using.

I wonder if they'll go ham immediately with 2 b25 carriers and lte 800. There's literally no demand for 1x/3g and need to refarm. 20 MHz of B block total so 3-4 CDMA carriers to take up 10 MHz and the other 10 mHz to a 2nd B25 carrier. Add that to the G block B25 carrier and B26 and that'll provide immense lte capacity immediately and provide minimal acceptable 1x/3g service.

• Like 6

Here are the engineering screens, which I'm guessing others can make sense of. I was approx 3-4 miles out from the same tower ID'ed earlier today. Don't know if it makes a difference, but this afternoon the IP address was coming up as 51.210.233.xxx

yf9OFrR.png

PgsjoNZ.png

• Like 7

Here are the engineering screens, which I'm guessing others can make sense of. I was approx 3-4 miles out from the same tower ID'ed earlier today. Don't know if it makes a difference, but this afternoon the IP address was coming up as 51.210.233.xxx

CDMA carriers are centered 1957.5 and 1958.75 MHz in the PCS B Block they have. 

If that's all they have life for basic CDMA services we'll likely see a 5 MHz LTE B25 carrier from 1950-1955 MHz in addition to the typical G block 1990-1995 MHz B25 carrier and the 5 MHz LTE 800 B26 carrier. 

• Like 7

No LTE yet right?

Correct, no LTE yet. In fact, earlier tonight, it went back to roaming (on verizon), without any change in my location.

Whatever it is, this is good news regardless. It means the equipment is installed, backhaul is installed, and they're doing live testing accessible to subscribers.

Samsung usually does it by mass cluster launching so it's highly likely it'll all just go live at once before the deadline.

• Like 1

Will sprint provide native coverage to Marquette MI? Does anyone know ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if anyone knows for certain buteep checking permits in your area for new site builds.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

In Marquette and a number of other spots in the UP they seem to have a deal with Cellcom for 3G and more.  You can see it on the coverage maps by clicking the 3G and more option.

• Like 1

I thought so, but it's just roaming 3G correct ? Not native ? I don't trust Sprints website. Lol. My girlfriend lives up there for college and I'm going to see her in April. Just want to make sure I have a useable phone while I'm in town visiting her.

I thought so, but it's just roaming 3G correct ? Not native ? I don't trust Sprints website. Lol. My girlfriend lives up there for college and I'm going to see her in April. Just want to make sure I have a useable phone while I'm in town visiting her.

Yes it will be roaming. But depending on where you are there, you may get Roaming+, which is considered to be native Sprint coverage. Again it's spotty because its covered by one tower.

When will the Montana, both Dakota and Alaska sites go online ???

Don't forget, it is really BEAs not states.  Here  is the map from the first post: http://wireless.fcc.gov/auctions/data/maps/ea.pdf

Exciting. Project Cedar is happening, finally.

"The world is full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the further one gets from Missoula, MT."

AJ

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint started Project Cedar only in a few cities to get Substantial Service by the deadline, and then will come back and fill in the rest of the network over the next year or two.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint started Project Cedar only in a few cities to get Substantial Service by the deadline, and then will come back and fill in the rest of the network over the next year or two.

I hope they've done more than a few sites...I guess we'll know on Thursday

Anyone heard any new news about this rural expansion ?

I would not expect any news coverage. This could be very similar to WiMAX protection sites from years ago.  Only some were shown on coverage maps.  A few could only be detected with spectrum analyzers.  They were very low priority once installed.  My guess is that setting up these sites is taking money away from more noticeable expansion, at least until there is more CAPex funding. 

My hope of course is that they do put them on the coverage maps.

• Like 1

30abce191c7faea948018874a4156a1a.jpg

146583453af7f99ee72c3aeb401c6096.jpg

d122366f4c7be9215cf4c24e9ea58418.jpg

Still cannot authenticate to the PCS G Block LTE Carrier on B25 here in Rapid City, SD. Not on a Sprint SIM it Google Fi SIM.

It is still broadcasting on PLMN ID 311 530 only. I don't know if Sprint will push an update to allow that PLMNID or if they will soon start broadcasting Sprint's 310 120 ID also. Or if Sprint customers will never be allowed to use it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Still cannot authenticate to the PCS G Block LTE Carrier on B25 here in Rapid City, SD. Not on a Sprint SIM it Google Fi SIM.

It is still broadcasting on PLMN ID 311 530 only. I don't know if Sprint will push an update to allow that PLMNID or if they will soon start broadcasting Sprint's 310 120 ID also. Or if Sprint customers will never be allowed to use it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Did you try using LTE only mode. Maybe it's not letting devices authenticate since there's no CSFB fallback.