Should I stick with Gnex or get S3?

lilg740

With S3 dropping in price and surely to be at $50 or less by Christmas for upgrades should I start looking into getting a GS3 or should I stick with my Gnex? I usually buy a phone once its replacement comes out and the older model is free or I can get one on Ebay cheap and sell my old phone. I did this with my OG Evo and my Evo 3d. I ended up getting new(used) phones for between $30 and free. At this point the the GS3 is still holding its value on eBay and $250-$300 is going rate. So still a ways to go before the GS3 is $200 to warrant trading off my Gnex.

My question is if I can get $180 out of my GNex on eBay and the S3 starts dropping to about $200 should I do it.

What does the GS3 have that the GNex doesnt?

What does the GS3 have that the GNex doesnt?

A Qualcomm complete chipset , whereas the Gnex has a crappy VIA chipset for 1x/EVDO. Plus the GS3 can do SVDO so you can browse the Internet and talk on the phone when not in an LTE area. 2GB RAM, and a microSD card slot. I'm getting ready to get rid of my Gnex as soon as I get my 3rd replacement.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

A Qualcomm complete chipset , whereas the Gnex has a crappy VIA chipset for 1x/EVDO. Plus the GS3 can do SVDO so you can browse the Internet and talk on the phone when not in an LTE area. 2GB RAM, and a microSD card slot. I'm getting ready to get rid of my Gnex as soon as I get my 3rd replacement.

My wife complains at how often I switch phones. She thinks I am a little nuts. And i remembered your thread about SVDO not being supported by the GNex...hopefully thats not a problem anymore in 6 months. SVLTE should be working fine then but the fact that I would like SVDO just in case might sway me. But I may have to wait til next years tax return time.

My wife complains at how often I switch phones. She thinks I am a little nuts. And i remembered your thread about SVDO not being supported by the GNex...hopefully thats not a problem anymore in 6 months. SVLTE should be working fine then but the fact that I would like SVDO just in case might sway me. But I may have to wait til next years tax return time.

I can tell you that you'll go crazy by then with the Gnex. I used it for 3 1/2 months and added a new line and got an iPhone 5 because I couldn't stand the problems I had with mine.

I can tell you that you'll go crazy by then with the Gnex. I used it for 3 1/2 months and added a new line and got an iPhone 5 because I couldn't stand the problems I had with mine.

I have never had a single problem that was device related. I have had mine since October. What problems did you have?

I have never had a single problem that was device related. I have had mine since October. What problems did you have?

Overheating, crappier service in weak signal areas that even my refurbished EVO Shift faired well in, not to mention the LG Viper I replaced with the Gnex. And excessive battery drain even with the bigger battery.

• Like 1

Overheating, crappier service in weak signal areas that even my refurbished EVO Shift faired well in, not to mention the LG Viper I replaced with the Gnex. And excessive battery drain even with the bigger battery.

My wife ordered an LG Viper when she switched from AT&T...we sent that peice back 2 days later.

I'm also only having battery issues buts that's not phone related that's the battery. Phone wise no issues.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

I'm also only having battery issues buts that's not phone related that's the battery. Phone wise no issues.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

Mine was not battery related.

I got to say that the gnex, pound for pound, turned out to be one of the worst smartphones I have every owned. Now don't get me wrong when I first got it I thought it was pretty cool but after that new car smell wore off things started to change for me. Like what Josh said though, the battery life turned out to be horrible. Using the extended battery rated at 2100mah I could barely make it till noon without having to recharge the thing not to mention it use to get hot as hell most of the times for no apparent reason. I do agree that a used evo(being a lot cheaper) offers more value than a used gs3 but I would also consider getting the lg optimus g. That phone has better specs than both the gs3 and the evo with a quadcore processor and the screen is pretty awesome and you can get it cheaper than the evo on ebay.

Edit: Also if you are interested I have an evo sitting around the house not doing anything so I can save you the trouble of having to deal with ebay or anyone else with a good deal. PM me if you are interested

• Like 1

The EVO LTE is pretty bad on coverage but not as bad as the GNex is. The GNex also has the issue with the LTE radio falling on its face and reporting the wrong signal info to Sensorly. You end up with those deep purple lines that make no sense as at all when you know for a fact there isn't a LTE site every block that is active.

When I got my GNex i came from the Evo 3D which I had a lot of problems with. The GNex was and is head and shoulders above that device. I love my GNex and I am starting to like Samsung more than anyone. Right now I look at it this way Samsung>HTC>LG

I got to say that the gnex, pound for pound, turned out to be one of the worst smartphones I have every owned. Now don't get me wrong when I first got it I thought it was pretty cool but after that new car smell wore off things started to change for me. Like what Josh said though, the battery life turned out to be horrible. Using the extended battery rated at 2100mah I could barely make it till noon without having to recharge the thing not to mention it use to get hot as hell most of the times for no apparent reason. I do agree that a used evo(being a lot cheaper) offers more value than a used gs3 but I would also consider getting the lg optimus g. That phone has better specs than both the gs3 and the evo with a quadcore processor and the screen is pretty awesome and you can get it cheaper than the evo on ebay.

Edit: Also if you are interested I have an evo sitting around the house not doing anything so I can save you the trouble of having to deal with ebay or anyone else with a good deal. PM me if you are interested

Cheapest Optimus G I see on eBay is $299. $200 for the Evo LTE. I just think that the GS3 has more value than the Evo.

When I got my GNex i came from the Evo 3D which I had a lot of problems with. The GNex was and is head and shoulders above that device. I love my GNex and I am starting to like Samsung more than anyone. Right now I look at it this way Samsung>HTC>LG

The GNex is not too bad on the LTE side sans the Sensorly issues, but the CDMA side of the GNex is absolutely dreadful. All screens, specs, handset sizes, etc to the side, purely looking at the RF of LTE and CDMA there is absolutely no way you would get me to trade my S3 or Note2 for an EVO LTE. I had the phone for a few months and lost quite a bit of coverage in the CDMA side of things plus the LTE issue was bothersome. So I used one of my lines upgrades, snagged the Note2, smiled, smiled again, and handed the EVO LTE down. I have also heard very good things about the Optimus G RF characteristics. But do what your budget can handle of course...

This picture speaks for itself... BTW at the time of this posting and still today there are no LTE sites active east of this site for many many miles. I can can confirm the "extra purple" I put down was from the site I marked: The other mark was done by an EVO LTE.

NOTE2_LTE.JPG

I really like that Optiums G ;)

One of our veteran LTE hunters in NOLA has some impressive purple distances with that phone. I know Robert also had good things to say about it.

Sent from my little Note2

• Like 1

One of our veteran LTE hunters in NOLA has some impressive purple distances with that phone. I know Robert also had good things to say about it.

Sent from my little Note2

I would trade my S3 for one!

So if any established member reads this and decides they want a Blue 16 gb S3 and a couple cases i'll trade you for an Optimus G.