T-Mobile to launch LTE in 30 cities by end of June (maybe)

danielholt

Sounds about right with the amount of T-mobile modernization sites I've seen coming through building permits in numerous development reports that I regularly check.

• Like 1

Before I started seeimg sprint towers being worked on in metro Detroit I talked to five different crews at five different sites upgrading tmob panels for lte. The far right panel on tmob towers are just for lte but they are replacing every panel tho.

I love the New York comments there. I don't think I've been in the New York threads here, but I can imagine it's the same.

It got pretty bad month or two ago and mods had to shut it down a few times when they got out of line. It's quiet down nowadays but there's still occasional flairs. On the other websites though.. same old "i hope sprint fails" or "Sprint sucks! They haven't even upgraded my [insert city here] which is so much more important than [insert city here]". Guess t-mobiles getting a little dose of what we see non stop.

TMo had the fastest 3G in San Diego so I can't wait to see how fast their LTE will be. Also, they will have access to the MetroPCS spectrum that was never used in the San Diego market.

MetroPCS does not hold any spectrum in San Diego County. But T-Mobile brings 40 MHz of AWS spectrum (down from 50 MHz because of a swap with VZW) and 25 MHz of PCS spectrum to the table in San Diego. So, AWS will likely continue running W-CDMA in a DC-HSPA+ configuration and add LTE in 10 MHz FDD bandwidth.

AJ

• Like 2

does anyone know how much spectrum t-mo owns in "the research triangle"?

"About tree-fiddy."

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 3

does anyone know how much spectrum t-mo owns in "the research triangle"?

Yes, someone knows. I do.

;)

AJ

I love the New York comments there. I don't think I've been in the New York threads here, but I can imagine it's the same.

We are here to have fun. Not just be cell nerds all the time. haha... I enjoy it.

I'm interested to see how this plays out in Chicago. When I worked at Home Depot, one of my biggest customers the past 3 months has been a tower company that has its office right down the street from our building. The would come in and buy supplies by the truck load. I asked the guy, he said of all the towers they had, they were working on and trying to complete about 5 a week. I wonder if this is PRE-LTE work though...

MetroPCS does not hold any spectrum in San Diego County. But T-Mobile brings 40 MHz of AWS spectrum (down from 50 MHz because of a swap with VZW) and 25 MHz of PCS spectrum to the table in San Diego. So, AWS will likely continue running W-CDMA in a DC-HSPA+ configuration and add LTE in 10 MHz FDD bandwidth.

AJ

So, how spectrally efficient is DC-DSPA+, especially when compared to LTE? IIRC 10+10 MHz FDD LTE has a maximum throughput/capacity of ~75 Mbps per carrier/sector.

So, how spectrally efficient is DC-DSPA+, especially when compared to LTE? IIRC 10+10 MHz FDD LTE has a maximum throughput/capacity of ~75 Mbps per carrier/sector.

Pretty sure you need at least 20Mhz of continuous spectrum to get the same performance of 10 mhz of FDD setup. As correct me if I'm wrong.

Finish?

You mean they've started?

There's actually been rural T-Mobile HSPA pop up not that far from me. It's really, really random. Probably what happens when they either have to expand for license protection, or are forced to upgrade because the old Voicestream/Omni/Powertel eNodeB's bit the dirt.