Has anybody tried to exchange their evo for a note 2?

flyer8493

If you are having issues with your evo and they have to exchange it, they will definitely give you a gs3 and no way in hell replace it with a note 2. You can trade in your evo for $94 or sell it on ebay. I just sold one of my evo's the other day on ebay and got $205 which included the actual phone, charger and original box with no extras but the phone was in immaculate condition.

If you are having issues with your evo and they have to exchange it, they will definitely give you a gs3 and no way in hell replace it with a note 2. You can trade in your evo for $94 or sell it on ebay. I just sold one of my evo's the other day on ebay and got $205 which included the actual phone, charger and original box with no extras but the phone was in immaculate condition.

I sold back to sprint, but the phone I sold back was in horrible conditions, it was all scratched from sand, and the screen had some visible defects on it. The rep that sold me the phone was nice enough to actually discount the buy back from the price of the One. I got lucky :P

-Luis

I'm on my third evo so I would be exchanging it due to problems.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Well they well probably exchange it with a gs3, definitely not with a note 2.

• 4 weeks later...

Well they well probably exchange it with a gs3, definitely not with a note 2.

I would welcome an exchange for a gs3 but I keep getting offered Galaxy Nexus, Victory or Motorola Photon Q

I would welcome an exchange for a gs3 but I keep getting offered Galaxy Nexus, Victory or Motorola Photon Q

I would suggest trying another store.  

I have but no stores in St Louis will do it and advanced exchange won't either.

Well that sucks, I have known other people who had issues with their evo's to get it swapped out for a gs3.

I tried last night and they told me that I would have to pay $275 for the early upgrade and that I would also have to pay for the phone.  so that was $374 for a GS3 minus $83 for the trade in even though it isn't really an upgrade.  I am calling sprint today to voice my concerns.  I have been with sprint for 9 years and have waited through the fiascos and the breakthroughs.  I have been a loyal customer and now that this phone has no LTE capabilities they want to stick it to me.  I don't think this is how you keep customers.  I love Sprint but it is like when your kids do really bad stuff you tell them,  "I will always love you but right now I don't like you."  haha. 

Any suggestions?

I tried last night and they told me that I would have to pay $275 for the early upgrade and that I would also have to pay for the phone.  so that was $374 for a GS3 minus $83 for the trade in even though it isn't really an upgrade.  I am calling sprint today to voice my concerns.  I have been with sprint for 9 years and have waited through the fiascos and the breakthroughs.  I have been a loyal customer and now that this phone has no LTE capabilities they want to stick it to me.  I don't think this is how you keep customers.  I love Sprint but it is like when your kids do really bad stuff you tell them,  "I will always love you but right now I don't like you."  haha. 

Any suggestions?

What kind of issues are you having?

What kind of issues are you having?

The phone will not detect or connect(one of the two or both not sure) to LTE.  Even when I do the airplane mode on and then off it doesn't find LTE no matter where I am.  Here is St. Louis there is LTE by the airport.  I took my EVO and my wife's One and the One had zero issues connecting with 4bars of LTE goodness while my EVO had three bars of EVDO.  Now I took a trip for Uncle Sam to Utah and I had a layover at Dallas/Fort Worth Airport and my EVO Blipped LTE for about twenty seconds and it never picked it up again.

those are the issues I have.  So soon when my tower across the street gets worked on and I have LTE at that tower my phone will still be on 3G and not LTE.  You can see why I wouldn't be happy about it.  I just want a fair chance to make it right thats all.

The phone will not detect or connect(one of the two or both not sure) to LTE.  Even when I do the airplane mode on and then off it doesn't find LTE no matter where I am.  Here is St. Louis there is LTE by the airport.  I took my EVO and my wife's One and the One had zero issues connecting with 4bars of LTE goodness while my EVO had three bars of EVDO.  Now I took a trip for Uncle Sam to Utah and I had a layover at Dallas/Fort Worth Airport and my EVO Blipped LTE for about twenty seconds and it never picked it up again.

those are the issues I have.  So soon when my tower across the street gets worked on and I have LTE at that tower my phone will still be on 3G and not LTE.  You can see why I wouldn't be happy about it.  I just want a fair chance to make it right thats all.

It has already been established that the evo does in fact have an lte connection issue and that issue mainly has to do with losing/reconnecting to lte at lower signal levels compared to other lte devices.   At one point most of us thought it was a software issue but it looks like it may be some sort of hardware flaw but in either case lte performance has increased substantially after several updates.

Now you made a comparison to your wife's One, keep in mind that the bars that show up only has to do with 1xrtt which is just your voice connectivity and has nothing to do with 3g evdo or 4g lte signal strength.  I currently own a One and I also own an evo and yes, the One is light years ahead of the evo when it comes to everything including lte connectivity so in the case where the wife had lte and you didn't could easily be a case where the lte signal is already pretty low but the One picks it up and holds it where as the evo stays on 3g.  The same could be said for your layover in DFW, the evo simply couldn't maintain that lower signal strenght being that the tower could have possibly been further away so it defaulted back to 3g. 

Now I am not defending the evo being that I have expressed my frustration(as well as many others) with this same issue since last summer but once my area got built out the issue has all but disappeared(for the most part).  So yeah, if the tower across the street gets lte then you shouldn't have the same issues connecting.  Now sprint isn't going to openly say there is an issue with the phone, they will more than likely say that the area isn't complete yet and things will slowly but surely improve over time, which technically is true but still somewhat misleading. 

It has already been established that the evo does in fact have an lte connection issue and that issue mainly has to do with losing/reconnecting to lte at lower signal levels compared to other lte devices.   At one point most of us thought it was a software issue but it looks like it may be some sort of hardware flaw but in either case lte performance has increased substantially after several updates.

Now you made a comparison to your wife's One, keep in mind that the bars that show up only has to do with 1xrtt which is just your voice connectivity and has nothing to do with 3g evdo or 4g lte signal strength.  I currently own a One and I also own an evo and yes, the One is light years ahead of the evo when it comes to everything including lte connectivity so in the case where the wife had lte and you didn't could easily be a case where the lte signal is already pretty low but the One picks it up and holds it where as the evo stays on 3g.  The same could be said for your layover in DFW, the evo simply couldn't maintain that lower signal strenght being that the tower could have possibly been further away so it defaulted back to 3g. 

Now I am not defending the evo being that I have expressed my frustration(as well as many others) with this same issue since last summer but once my area got built out the issue has all but disappeared(for the most part).  So yeah, if the tower across the street gets lte then you shouldn't have the same issues connecting.  Now sprint isn't going to openly say there is an issue with the phone, they will more than likely say that the area isn't complete yet and things will slowly but surely improve over time, which technically is true but still somewhat misleading. 

Pretty sure I read that somewhere but didn't realize what it was referring to exactly.  So what is the best way to actually test how strong the signal is for LTE?  I would like something to support the signal strength theory and I would feel much more at ease with the situation if this is truly the case.  I'm not saying you aren't correct but from the standpoint on sensorly the DAL/FW airport has some pretty strong LTE from Sprint.  Check it out here.  Either way it doesn't make sense for them not to fix the issue if it is sofware related but if it requires a complete rebuild of the phone then I can see where that would be an issue.  My main issue is that Sprint knows about the problem and yet still continues to sell this phone and also refuses to acknowledge that it's messed up. 

The other bolded Item above.   What updates would those have been?  The software, Firmware, PRL?  I have the most updated of everything and it hasn't gotten any better at all.  In fact I would say it is worse because when I first received my EVO I was on orders training on the outskirts of KC and my evo was picking up towers that couldn't even be seen  but I had LTE and  I was pulling down almost 16Mb/s(megabits/sec)   Either way the problem still exists and nobody seems to really care except those that own the phone and those trying to help us (which is not Sprint nor is it HTC) figure out what the issue is.

Please don't take these paragraphs as negative or disgruntled.  They are not meant as such even if they have a negative tone to them.  I am just voicing my experiences and concerns about what most EVO owners have come to realize.

Now that is enough of the negatives.  I want to end on a better note than before because I feel that the phone itself is for the most part a great phone that like any other phone out there has issues that won't be addressed until the next gen phones(ex. the HTC ONE).  From my experience the new HTC phone corrects the issues like a champ and my wife loves the phone.  The only thing I have to figure out now is at what point in the night I can switch hers with mine without her knowing.  JK   lol.

Pretty sure I read that somewhere but didn't realize what it was referring to exactly.  So what is the best way to actually test how strong the signal is for LTE?  I would like something to support the signal strength theory and I would feel much more at ease with the situation if this is truly the case.  I'm not saying you aren't correct but from the standpoint on sensorly the DAL/FW airport has some pretty strong LTE from Sprint.  Check it out here.  Either way it doesn't make sense for them not to fix the issue if it is sofware related but if it requires a complete rebuild of the phone then I can see where that would be an issue.  My main issue is that Sprint knows about the problem and yet still continues to sell this phone and also refuses to acknowledge that it's messed up. 

The other bolded Item above.   What updates would those have been?  The software, Firmware, PRL?  I have the most updated of everything and it hasn't gotten any better at all.  In fact I would say it is worse because when I first received my EVO I was on orders training on the outskirts of KC and my evo was picking up towers that couldn't even be seen  but I had LTE and  I was pulling down almost 16Mb/s(megabits/sec)   Either way the problem still exists and nobody seems to really care except those that own the phone and those trying to help us (which is not Sprint nor is it HTC) figure out what the issue is.

Please don't take these paragraphs as negative or disgruntled.  They are not meant as such even if they have a negative tone to them.  I am just voicing my experiences and concerns about what most EVO owners have come to realize.

Now that is enough of the negatives.  I want to end on a better note than before because I feel that the phone itself is for the most part a great phone that like any other phone out there has issues that won't be addressed until the next gen phones(ex. the HTC ONE).  From my experience the new HTC phone corrects the issues like a champ and my wife loves the phone.  The only thing I have to figure out now is at what point in the night I can switch hers with mine without her knowing.  JK   lol.

As far as signal strength when on lte just go to settings, about, network.  There you will see a dbm rating.  In the past when connected to lte I have noticed my evo would drop the lte connection around -107 to -110(which no other phone on sprint does) just about every singe time.  To further compound the issue even when signal strength would increase the evo would still stay on 3g and would take a while(if ever) for it to connect to lte on its own without toggling airplane mode or resetting.  Since then there have been several firmware updates that addressed several issues including the lte connection issues.  The update basically increased the frequency in which the phone would scan for lte so in the event that lte would drop it wouldn't take long for the phone to reconnect to lte again.  There could have been some other software tweaks in other updates but from what I can tell it seemed like they just increased the scan time.  At this point I do think it's a hardware issue, the gs3 has the same chipset and didn't experience anything like this.

As far as signal strength when on lte just go to settings, about, network.  There you will see a dbm rating.  In the past when connected to lte I have noticed my evo would drop the lte connection around -107 to -110(which no other phone on sprint does) just about every singe time.  To further compound the issue even when signal strength would increase the evo would still stay on 3g and would take a while(if ever) for it to connect to lte on its own without toggling airplane mode or resetting.  Since then there have been several firmware updates that addressed several issues including the lte connection issues.  The update basically increased the frequency in which the phone would scan for lte so in the event that lte would drop it wouldn't take long for the phone to reconnect to lte again.  There could have been some other software tweaks in other updates but from what I can tell it seemed like they just increased the scan time.  At this point I do think it's a hardware issue, the gs3 has the same chipset and didn't experience anything like this.

Agreed. So I really only have two options (If I want my phone to work on LTE). Pay the almost $300 plus phone cost for early upgrade and miss out on my Feb upgrade(in the chance that a really nice phone comes out by then I don't like this option) or buy a phone off of ebay and pray to God that it has a clean ESN and that the phone functions till Feb when my renewal is up. Sounds like a lose, lose for me. Just saying.

• 3 weeks later...

Just went to sprint to see if they would exchange my evo for a gs3. Apparently the gs3 is not on the exchange list. Only a few low to mid range phones are including the viper and the Samsung conquer. Galaxy nexus was on there, probably the best phone on that list.

Apparently they only exchange it for a lesser value phone, not an equal or lesser value phone.

Are all sprint stores gonna have the same list?

Just went to sprint to see if they would exchange my evo for a gs3. Apparently the gs3 is not on the exchange list. Only a few low to mid range phones are including the viper and the Samsung conquer. Galaxy nexus was on there, probably the best phone on that list.

Apparently they only exchange it for a lesser value phone, not an equal or lesser value phone.

Yes they are. I've tried and even customer service has the same list.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Thats just garbage but I guess the gs3 is still selling great while the evo has long been forgotten.

The evo lte opened up the galaxy s3 for about 2 months, you just missed it.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

So is it an on again off again thing?

So is it an on again off again thing?

I would more than likely say no