HTC ONE user thread

jegillis

I've been reading that the photos are decent on this phone, but video is where the One is phenomenal. The Optical Image Stabilization definitely helps in a lot of circumstances. I also read that in darker scenes, to compensate for a clearer, less grainy, picture the phone will drop down to 20fps or so instead of the typical 30fps while taking 1080p video.

I'm not too impressed by the battery life at all. I have been using it fairly hard, though. Yesterday I went from 100 to less than 50 percent in just a few hours. Seem to be faring a bit better today.

Also, the 3G/1X radio does not seem significantly stronger than my 3D. It's tentative in my house, just like the 3D. It hits the same dead zones in my community vs the 3D. Maybe slightly better, but probably not enough so that I can take a walk and hold a signal.

Also disheartening is the lack of ability to hold LTE in this launch market. I'm guessing that's a Sprint issue, not a phone issue, but either way is not great news.

The TV feature is really neat.

Overall I absolutely love this phone.

Oh, I got the Sprint default configuration. Any way to reverse that?

And is everybody using Google's backup, HTC's, or neither?

I didn't use any hdr settings just point and shoot and that was it. Which one do you think is the evo? I will add more photos tomorrow, I was just outside trying out some night time shots and my evo basically showed an all black screen with no viewable picture while the One was able to gather quite a bit of light from no where and was able to take a photo in almost complete darkness. Granted the photo was grainy as hell but I was still amazed at the fact that it still took a relatively decent picture given the extremely limited amount of light.

I thought this one (http://s1154.photobucket.com/user/themuffinman75/media/2013-04-20145321.jpg.html) was the EVO LTE because it looked a little sharper. Did like the colors of the second picture though. Have you had any time to try the IR Blaster?

To also add, I think battery life is pretty damn good. I only made about 4 or 5 calls for the day and a few texts and emails but I took quite a few pictures today(maybe about 50) with all of them being automatically uploaded to dropbox. In addition I also did a little web browsing/youtube and as of right now( about 14.5 hours later, most of this time I was on wifi) I am still at 75%. Of course everyone's mileage will vary but I am quite satisfied with the battery performance on this phone.

I image it's great. When my Evo gets a decent signal I can go 8 hours and only lose 15%. Of course I'm not usually in a great signal area though. But it certainly makes me excited that I should great battery life when 800smr pumps out.

I thought this one (http://s1154.photobu...145321.jpg.html) was the EVO LTE because it looked a little sharper. Did like the colors of the second picture though. Have you had any time to try the IR Blaster?

The IR blaster is pretty cool, once you have it all set up(which takes all of 2 seconds) it works flawlessly. Also when setting it up there as an option to select your favorite shows from a list of various shows/networks etc... If that show is about to come on or is currently on it will show up in your blinkfeed, pretty cool in my opinion.

• Like 4

I'm curious is this phone unlocked by default?

I've been torn over getting the Sprint HTC one or the unlocked developer edition.

I originally ordered one of each (one for me, one for the wife) but now I am thinking I would be better off getting two sprint versions. It would be a no-brainer if sprint's units came unlocked like Verizon...

Choices choices...

anyone notice that costco.com seems to be the best place to order? They waive activation, which seems cool.

According to HTC Dev extraordinaire Koush, it's remarkably easy to unlock the One. His exact quote: "it behaves just like a Nexus device."

• Like 1

Set up the IR blaster last night, was very easy, only took a couple of minutes. Configured it for my TV, cable box, and sound system, and it works great! One drawback for me is that it doesn't seem to know HD channels. If one of the shows you marked as favorite is coming up, you can click on it and it will go straight to that channel, but the SD version rather than the HD version. But that's likely more of an issue with Mediacom than anything.

I have to say I'm seeing some pretty good things with the battery life. I charged it up Friday night, took it off the charger about Noon yesterday, and didn't put it back on the charger until about an hour ago and I was still at 40%. About half the time off the charger was spent on WiFi. Of course, I didn't make any phone calls, only texts, and not a whole lot of heavy browsing either, but I was using it as my remote for a fair amount of time last night ;)

I'm not super thrilled with blinkfeed so far, it's an interesting idea but I certainly don't want it as my home screen. So shifted it off to the side. I do find my self looking at it though, more as a curiosity.

"Boom sound"... wish they could have come up with a better name, but it really works! I was blown away by the sound those speakers put out. That alone would be enough for me to buy the phone again.

• Like 2

I've used Samsung's IR blaster and application on their Galaxy Tab 7.0 2. Thought it was completely awesome, so I am glad to hear HTC pulled theirs off in the same fashion. Really love the whole concept in that.

I'll preference this with I am not an HTC fanboy or a Samsung hater, but I think that HTC has the phone of the year right here. You see it time and time again... The company in second or third place is often the one leading the way with innovative products.

• Like 1

Could someone do a side by side signal comparison between the One and the EVO LTE?

I posted my personal experience with both phones a page or two back . I am not gonna get into any specific numbers but I can honestly say that when it comes to lte connectivity the One is light years ahead of the evo.

Edit: Just so you know I do have more than one line so I am doing these comparisons at the same time. Another example, me and my girl just got back from Carrabba's for dinner and while we sat and ate her One and my One connected to lte just fine with excellent speeds even though the signal was marginal. My evo on the other hand was on 3g the whole time.

• Like 2

I have one question: the dock bar on the bottom with the quick launch apps, I want to remove the web icon and instead put chrome but everytime I try to remove it it just copies it back. How do I fix that? I want chrome as the default one there not internet.

-Luis

I have one question: the dock bar on the bottom with the quick launch apps, I want to remove the web icon and instead put chrome but everytime I try to remove it it just copies it back. How do I fix that? I want chrome as the default one there not internet.

-Luis

You have to make the switch while in the app draw and not from the home screen.

• Like 1

thank you, strange way to change that. It's all good though. I love these speakers, they sound amazing and they are loud as well

-Luis

Yeah, strange. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the way they did the app drawer, and the dock. But, the rest of the phone makes up for that! Haha.

• Like 1

Yeah, strange. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the way they did the app drawer, and the dock. But, the rest of the phone makes up for that! Haha.

to be honest I rarely used the app drawer, I have everything in my home pages and folders. The app drawer is something that I would use honestly about once every other day. But I totally see how it would be annoying.

-Luis

Did a low-ish light comparison between my EVO and One. I know there's plenty of that out there, just had to try it out for myself.

EVO:

Evo1.jpg

One:

One1.jpg

From this picture it looks like the One camera is better all around. Man HTC is killing it.

• Like 1