HTC ONE user thread

jegillis

We know that the Field Trial.apk is still present via its dialer code (##33284#). Is the Testing.apk still accessible (*#*#4636#*#*)? It can be useful for forcing the handset to use specific airlinks (e.g. CDMA1X only, LTE only, etc.).

AJ

*#*#4636#*#* still works.

AJ

• Like 1

Well I am getting about a 25dbm loss of signal when I hold the phone on the bottom. I am going from 75-80 to 100-105. This from the 1x engineering screen

Yep, I wrote about that in my article:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-342-updated-all-for-htc-one-htc-one-for-all/

First, the dual antenna system is optimized for CDMA1X/EV-DO on antenna 0 and LTE on antenna 1. But as long as only one antenna is in use (i.e. SVLTE is not active), the dual antennas can be switched at will to combat an RF fade at one antenna but not the other.

Antenna 0 is on the bottom. Make a call so that the CDMA1X transmitter is active, and I would not be surprised to see the HTC One shift to antenna 1, which is on top. It is optimized for LTE, not CDMA1X, but it should certainly be in better position than the 25 dB fade experienced at antenna 0.

AJ
  • Like 1

Antenna 0 is on the bottom. Make a call so that the CDMA1X transmitter is active, and I would not be surprised to see the HTC One shift to antenna 1, which is on top. It is optimized for LTE, not CDMA1X, but it should certainly be in better position than the 25 dB fade experienced at antenna 0.

AJ

Ok after screwing around I can confirm that it switches antenna's when I make a call. Can it not use antenna 1 when connected to LTE? because that might be a problem.

All I want to know is how it compares to note2 on battery life and signal catching/holding.

I really like the htc style and sense is way better than tflow (dual window mode aside), in my experience with previous phones.

I can't wait for someone to do a detailed shootout between the note2/s4/htc1.

This is by far the best sounding phone I have ever had. My roommate cannot believe that my phone speakers sounded that good. Sounds better/louder than my 17 in macbook pro

• Like 1

This is by far the best sounding phone I have ever had. My roommate cannot believe that my phone speakers sounded that good. Sounds better/louder than my 17 in macbook pro

Passable for listening to music?

Opened up a box and played with one here. Speakers are loud and very nice, screen looks amazing. Build quality is solid. Curved back makes it wobble on tables. Android UI is fast and smooth. I've never seen Sense move so quickly and lag so little. Either Sense 5 is a total rewrite, or the new Snapdragon 600 is just that good. Power button is a little hard to use. Also noticed the signal fade for 1X; when looking at engineering screens, the EV-DO signal was +0.23, which I figured must be wrong. Camera seems to work well. Only two navbuttons is weird, but putting appswitch on double-tap-home works well, and the new Sense appswitcher works a lot better than the EVO LTE's "cards".

Overall, I like it. The lack of SD card slot makes me shy away a little bit, as I have all my data on one, but 32 GB of storage is great.

Overall, from a first impression, I rather like it. We'll see if Sammy's extra $50 will be worth it.

Opened up a box and played with one here. Speakers are loud and very nice, screen looks amazing. Build quality is solid. Curved back makes it wobble on tables. Android UI is fast and smooth. I've never seen Sense move so quickly and lag so little. Either Sense 5 is a total rewrite, or the new Snapdragon 600 is just that good. Power button is a little hard to use. Also noticed the signal fade for 1X; when looking at engineering screens, the EV-DO signal was +0.23, which I figured must be wrong. Camera seems to work well. Only two navbuttons is weird, but putting appswitch on double-tap-home works well, and the new Sense appswitcher works a lot better than the EVO LTE's "cards".

Overall, I like it. The lack of SD card slot makes me shy away a little bit, as I have all my data on one, but 32 GB of storage is great.

Overall, from a first impression, I rather like it. We'll see if Sammy's extra $50 will be worth it.

Thats what i was worried about that it would rock on a flat surface, but the cases for it all have flat backsides so as soon as i find one i like i will be getting it right away!

The grip of death! From -93 to -111 when held!

See above...the antenna above...

AJ

This looks a pretty neat compromise option in lieu of an SD slot.

That's a really cool project. Sadly, I'm not gonna run around with an OTG thing sticking out my slot all the time. Definitely something to stick in my "bag of goodies".

Sadly, I'm not gonna run around with an OTG thing sticking out my slot all the time.

That's what she said...

:P

AJ

• Like 6

Do you think a ota will fix it, or maybe a case? I ask this because if I am in a fringe area it really affects the phones service.

No. You are missing the point. Read my article and the entire thread. The HTC One has two antenna arrays for a reason. If one is in a fade, it can switch to the other.

AJ

• Like 2

No. You are missing the point. Read my article and the entire thread. The HTC One has two antenna arrays for a reason. If one is in a fade, it can switch to the other.

AJ

I understand, but what I notice is happening with the lte antenna is that it won't switch. In other words it stays at a weak signal until I move my hand.

I understand, but what I notice is happening with the lte antenna is that it won't switch. In other words it stays at a weak signal until I move my hand.

The handset is idle, right? When actually transmitting, it will likely switch antennas.

AJ