Facebook Home: Too Much Hassle?

Alright, so as you all may know, Facebook released Facebook Home: a new launcher that Mark Zuckerberg thinks will increase his already large fortune. As a tech dork, I had to get it, and I must say I was a little disappointed. The overall UI was alright if you love Facebook. There's no lock screen, once you tap your power button, you're looking at your news feed. You can swipe left-to-right and view photos and status updates, and if you want to see a photo in full view, just tap and hold the picture and it will go into full screen mode. If you want to access all of your apps, just tap the screen so your Facebook profile picture pops up, and then drag it up and it will open your app drawer. This is fun and all if you use Facebook 24/7, but for someone who doesn't, then it's just an annoyance. Don't get me wrong, it's a neat idea, but after a while it just gets to be annoying. I want to use my phone, I don't like having to spend 5 minutes navigating to my Phone. If I'm in an emergency, I'm done for. But that's not the reason I am disappointed in Facebook Home. No, the reason is that after a while, I noticed my 3G wasn't on. Everyone else had a fast 3G signal, but I had nothing. Further investigation showed that all of my data passwords had been reset. I can't use 3G until we call Sprint and ask them for the passwords. Worst case scenario, I have to do a factory reset on my phone, which will NOT make me happy. I have looked at a few more reviews and I'm not the only one this happened to. This is a common issue. I have written to the Facebook Team and am waiting for a reply. The five phones that support Facebook Home are high end phones (Galaxy SIII, Galaxy SIV, Note II, HTC One, and HTC One X+), so this should be a big deal. Anyways, I will update when I have news!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII

I also tred Facebook Home on my Note 2 and after 5 mins it come right off my phone. I think its a great idea but its just not for me. I dont want to see everyones posts on my lock screen. It is adding like a extra step in accessing my apps. But I wonder after a month because its constantly updating what the data usage will be for it?

• Like 1

Facebook free for almost 2 years now. It's awesome!!! Anything dealing with Spacebook is downright idiotic. Nothing but trash airing out their dirty laundry, kids being tough guys behind their screens, gold diggers bragging, iphone clowns taking pictures of their food, and Jerry springer guests telling the world about their business. It's great not having Facebook.

• Like 4

The biggest virtue of the Facebook phone is that if you turn Facebook Home off, it reverts to a stock Android phone on AT&T with LTE on Band 17.

I don't know how Facebook got that through the Death Star, but I have to give them credit where it is due.

• Like 1

The biggest virtue of the Facebook phone is that if you turn Facebook Home off' date=' it reverts to a stock Android phone on AT&T with LTE on Band 17.

I don't know how Facebook got that through the Death Star, but I have to give them credit where it is due.[/quote']

Yes, that is a nice feature. I won't bother with the HTC First though, especially because it's not on Sprint yet. Also, is it just me or does it sort of resemble an iPhone?

I'm extremely wary of anything Facebook does to get us to use it anymore than most people do already. Anyway' date=' I'm not planning on installing it.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

[/quote']

That would be a good idea, I was furious when I found out they took away my data. Facebook has reached it's climax, and everything they do from here on out will just be mistakes. People are going to start switching to Google+ and Twitter, especially when Facebook puts ads in their mobile app (which is in the near future). At that point, I will only use Google+.

especially when Facebook puts ads in their mobile app (which is in the near future).

That started many months ago. One of many reasons why I dropped FB over three months ago. It's been liberating to be FB-free.

Yeah but Zuckerberger says he will add more because he doesn't feel Facebook is making enough money [laughs]

• 3 weeks later...

Facebook free for almost 2 years now. It's awesome!!! Anything dealing with Spacebook is downright idiotic. Nothing but trash airing out their dirty laundry, kids being tough guys behind their screens, gold diggers bragging, iphone clowns taking pictures of their food, and Jerry springer guests telling the world about their business. It's great not having Facebook.

Its refreshing to see there are other people out there who actively and pointedly reject being assimilated into the Borg Hive.

Yeah but Zuckerberger says he will add more because he doesn't feel Facebook is making enough money [laughs]

Taking into account the number of members Facebook has, it does not make enough money.

Alright, so as you all may know, Facebook released Facebook Home: a new launcher that Mark Zuckerberg thinks will increase his already large fortune. As a tech dork, I had to get it, and I must say I was a little disappointed. The overall UI was alright if you love Facebook. There's no lock screen, once you tap your power button, you're looking at your news feed. You can swipe left-to-right and view photos and status updates, and if you want to see a photo in full view, just tap and hold the picture and it will go into full screen mode. If you want to access all of your apps, just tap the screen so your Facebook profile picture pops up, and then drag it up and it will open your app drawer. This is fun and all if you use Facebook 24/7, but for someone who doesn't, then it's just an annoyance. Don't get me wrong, it's a neat idea, but after a while it just gets to be annoying. I want to use my phone, I don't like having to spend 5 minutes navigating to my Phone. If I'm in an emergency, I'm done for. But that's not the reason I am disappointed in Facebook Home. No, the reason is that after a while, I noticed my 3G wasn't on. Everyone else had a fast 3G signal, but I had nothing. Further investigation showed that all of my data passwords had been reset. I can't use 3G until we call Sprint and ask them for the passwords. Worst case scenario, I have to do a factory reset on my phone, which will NOT make me happy. I have looked at a few more reviews and I'm not the only one this happened to. This is a common issue. I have written to the Facebook Team and am waiting for a reply. The five phones that support Facebook Home are high end phones (Galaxy SIII, Galaxy SIV, Note II, HTC One, and HTC One X+), so this should be a big deal. Anyways, I will update when I have news!

Eh I agree, Personally I dis-like it. I don't like the setup of it
  • Like 1