Iphone5 PRL/ Latest/auto update??

bmattox79

have a multi part question, first what is the most current Iphone5 PRL, and does this vary by market. Do i need to manually update the PRL or will sprint auto push it through a carrier update like the one i got when i purchased the phone.

Last we road trip frequently from New Jersey to NW Indiana and New Jersey to Orlando area FLA. ive seen that certain markets iphones have different PRLs letting them utilize 800smr 1x and other NV items that have been lit up in their areas. If im travelling down 95 will my phone be able to use these features not lit up in my area or will i have to update the prl,,or will it update once it realizes its in a different market. PHEWWW!!!

Sorry for all the questions new to iphone from android and love the future with NV.

If im in the wrong topic or there is a better one to post this in please let me know

Thanks

Thanks that is a great article only question now is what about the markets with a completely different prl I know Chicago market had to change due to problems between legacy and nv. What happens if I goto chi town

Thanks that is a great article only question now is what about the markets with a completely different prl I know Chicago market had to change due to problems between legacy and nv. What happens if I goto chi town

The PRL is the same across the country, the only variation is by device. The current PRL for the iPhone 5 is 51095. The only difference by market is actually written into the PRL, and in basic terms your phone will recognize what geographic zone you're in (Chicago for example) then apply the roaming rules for that geographic zone that are written into the PRL. To continue the Chicago example, since 800 MHz SMR and LTE are both available in that geographic zone, the iPhone will search out 1900 LTE, then 1900 EVDO, then 1900 1x, then 800 SMR, then roaming partners like VZW - in that priority order (in some phones the PRL has 800 SMR as same priority as PCS, but for some reason Sprint has dropped the priority level of SMR on the iPhone - that hopefully will change in a future PRL).

All Sprint iPhone 5's will have the same PRL across the country (unless you're jailbroken and manually change it which is a whole other topic & thread). That is my basic understanding of how a PRL works for different geographic zones.

• Like 1

I randomly tried to update my PRL and it fails. Sprint wants iPhone users to stay put lol.

I'm not sure why this is, but on the iPhone 5 I've only been able to get the ##UPDATE# (update PRL) function to work when I'm in a wifi network.

EDIT: I stand corrected, I just did it OTA. However, I've noticed I get the "update failed" message much more frequently than when I was on my 4s.

I'm not sure why this is, but on the iPhone 5 I've only been able to get the ##UPDATE# (update PRL) function to work when I'm in a wifi network.

EDIT: I stand corrected, I just did it OTA. However, I've noticed I get the "update failed" message much more frequently than when I was on my 4s.

I manually did the latest update a week ago. I did notice that I had to reboot my iPhone 5 before it took effect.