Galaxy S 4 hits FCC

lynyrd65

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=640611&fcc_id=A3LSPHL720

Band 25 only from what I can tell. Not unexpected, but I would have loved to be surprised.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I beat you to it by 2 minutes. Post #124

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3395-the-galaxy-s4-gets-announced-today-are-you-excited/page__st__120

"Looks like bad news for the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4. The Sprint version went through the FCC today and from looking at the FCC documents, it only contains Band 25 (1900 MHz A-G block) LTE support and supports only 5 MHz bandwidths.

I am very sad about the lack of multi-band LTE support but at the same time I am not surprised about this given the HTC One only contains Band 25 (1900 MHz A-G block) LTE support as well. I just really hope the 2H 2013 LTE phones like the LG Optimus G 2, Galaxy Note 3, Moto X (rumored), Nexus 5, etc contain tri-band LTE support.

I'll be looking forward to AJ's article for further analysis on the Sprint Galaxy S4 FCC documents.

Engadget article about Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 hits FCC.

http://www.engadget....d-sprint-forms/

Sprint Galaxy S4 FCC filing

https://apps.fcc.gov...c_id=A3LSPHL720 "

Well, crap. I have been checking the FCC ULS every few hours for the last several weeks. Of course, it would have to be the afternoon that I have a doctor's appointment that the Galaxy S4 hits the database, and I get scooped.

AJ

Well, crap. I have been checking the FCC ULS every few hours for the last several weeks. Of course, it would have to be the afternoon that I have a doctor's appointment that the Galaxy S4 hits the database, and I get scooped.

AJ

Looking forward to reading your analysis.

Havent we always been told not to expect the other bands to be included in a release until "late 2013"?

Sure but it doesn't mean we can't be disappointed in the strategy itself.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Havent we always been told not to expect the other bands to be included in a release until "late 2013"?
Indeed. I was still hoping to see a phone support tri-band out sooner than later.

Especially with the Galaxy S4, which according to Samsung can support up to twenty different LTE bands. /le sigh

Indeed. I was still hoping to see a phone support tri-band out sooner than later.

Especially with the Galaxy S4, which according to Samsung can support up to twenty different LTE bands. /le sigh

Keep in mind that the 20 LTE band support was on the exynos 5 octa core chip and not the qualcomm 600 chip. The qualcomm 600 chip will be used on all USA variants of the S4. Now the qualcomm chip can support the 800 and 2500 mhz band classes but that doesnt mean it has to be added to the device. Sprint and samsung would have to agree on what LTE band classes it wants to support and would need to add the additional antennas needed to support those band classes in the device.

Personally..like you i would have expected all 2013 LTE phones to have tri-band LTE support but when i saw the htc one support 1900 mhz LTE only, i had a bad feeling that the S4 was going to have the same fate. Hopefully the iphone 5s, galaxy note 3 or lg optimus g 2 will be the first tri-band LTE phone this year.

What i hope for the galaxy note 3 is for sprint and samsung to request testing the LTE in 5 and 10 mhz bandwidths. Samsung is notorious for only testing 5 mhz bandwidths for LTE in the S3, Note 2 and S4 thus far.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Keep in mind that the 20 LTE band support was on the exynos 5 octa core chip and not the qualcomm 600 chip. The qualcomm 600 chip will be used on all USA variants of the S4. Now the qualcomm chip can support the 800 and 2500 mhz band classes but that doesnt mean it has to be added to the device.

The Snapdragon 600 aka APQ8064T is just a processor. It does not contain a baseband modem on chip. So, actually, it has no effect on LTE band capability.

AJ

• Like 3

Keep in mind that the 20 LTE band support was on the exynos 5 octa core chip and not the qualcomm 600 chip. The qualcomm 600 chip will be used on all USA variants of the S4. Now the qualcomm chip can support the 800 and 2500 mhz band classes but that doesnt mean it has to be added to the device. Sprint and samsung would have to agree on what LTE band classes it wants to support and would need to add the additional antennas needed to support those band classes in the device.

Personally..like you i would have expected all 2013 LTE phones to have tri-band LTE support but when i saw the htc one support 1900 mhz LTE only, i had a bad feeling that the S4 was going to have the same fate. Hopefully the iphone 5s, galaxy note 3 or lg optimus g 2 will be the first tri-band LTE phone this year.

What i hope for the galaxy note 3 is for sprint and samsung to request testing the LTE in 5 and 10 mhz bandwidths. Samsung is notorious for only testing 5 mhz bandwidths for LTE in the S3, Note 2 and S4 thus far.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Indubitably.

I don't meant to harsh on Sprint, but even Verizon is supporting their non-existant AWS LTE tech on their Galaxy S4 variant [source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/29/samsung-galaxy-s-4-for-verizon-swings-through-the-fcc/]. We probably won't see Verizon's AWS LTE network until late 2013 or even into 2014... and Verizon is usually conservative on this kind of stuff.

Just wish Sprint was a little bit more forward including support for their forthcoming LTE networks. They've been selling handsets that support 800MHz CDMA voice since sometime in 2012...

And for Samsung, I don't know why they continue to put out the Galaxy S line in the USA with Qualcomm chips. I'd happily take a Exynos 4+4 core (or as the lazy tech PR mouthpieces have been calling it an octocore) here. =)

The Snapdragon 600 aka APQ8064T is just a processor. It does not contain a baseband modem on chip. So, actually, it has no effect on LTE band capability.

AJ

Good to know. Was under the impression the Snapdragon chip line had the modems integrated.

Good to know. Was under the impression the Snapdragon chip line had the modems integrated.

Some do, but others do not. For most of last year, the chipset du jour was the Snapdragon S4 MSM8960, which is a full SoC with integrated baseband. Later this year when the Snapdragon 800 aka MSM8974 becomes available, the high end chipset will again have an onboard baseband.

AJ

• Like 1

I don't meant to harsh on Sprint, but even Verizon is supporting their non-existant AWS LTE tech on their Galaxy S4 variant [source: ."]http://www.engadget....ough-the-fcc/]. We probably won't see Verizon's AWS LTE network until late 2013 or even into 2014... and Verizon is usually conservative on this kind of stuff.

I would not give VZW much credit in this regard. VZW has held AWS spectrum for six years and has offered LTE handsets for two years, yet VZW is just now getting around to including band 4 LTE capability. That would be akin to Sprint not adding band 26 LTE and/or band 41 TD-LTE capability until this time next year.

AJ

• Like 4

I would not give VZW much credit in this regard. VZW has held AWS spectrum for six years and has offered LTE handsets for two years, yet VZW is just now getting around to including band 4 LTE capability. That would be akin to Sprint not adding band 26 LTE and/or band 41 TD-LTE capability until this time next year.
I forgot that Verizon bought a ton of AWS spectrum during the 2006 auction. [source: http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=99&p=1495 ]

Geez, that was a lot of spectrum to just sit on until the SpectrumCo swap and T-mobile sale last year.

Verizon does deserve critique for not deploying dual band LTE phones thus far. When the SpectrumCo spectrum deal was approved last August, I would have been expected that that was the green light they needed to begin deploying dual band LTE phones since they would have enough spectrum nationwide to deploy AWS LTE. But it appears Verizon is now turning a new leaf starting to deploy dual band (700 and AWS) LTE support with the S4 and I expect all Verizon LTE devices from here on out to include dual band LTE support.

For now I'll give Sprint the benefit of the doubt since they have not deployed 800 or 2500 MHz LTE as of yet. However later on this year, Sprint has announced 800 MHz LTE will begin deploying in Q4 and Sprint should be using Clearwire LTE which is currently in active deployment. If Sprint does not include tri-band LTE phones for its 2H 2013 LTE phones, they should deserve critique for not trying to future proof their LTE devices.

• Like 1

That Sprint is going to deploy the 800 MHz LTE but not sell a phone that can use it is a real mystery. They were selling LTE phones before they had any LTE so I don't know why they'd hold back in this situation. Frustrating. I really wanted the S4. I wonder if Sprint will get a Nexus 5?

• Like 1

That Sprint is going to deploy the 800 MHz LTE but not sell a phone that can use it is a real mystery. They were selling LTE phones before they had any LTE so I don't know why they'd hold back in this situation. Frustrating. I really wanted the S4. I wonder if Sprint will get a Nexus 5?

I doubt that 800mhz will be 100% in a year. I think sprint learned not to sell something before there lovely network can support it. Aka Wimax and LTE when the phones first came out. Hahaha

• 3 months later...

Wish I would have known about your site before my wife got me the S4 for Father's Day.  Was super disappointed when I realized that I couldn't get 4g on my brand spanking new S4 but had it on what I thought to be antiquated EVO.  Crap...

• Like 1

Wish I would have known about your site before my wife got me the S4 for Father's Day. Was super disappointed when I realized that I couldn't get 4g on my brand spanking new S4 but had it on what I thought to be antiquated EVO. Crap...

huh? S4 gets 4g. 1900 4g lte. They just won't be able to get 800 MHz lte. when it comes out later on. The new s4 is just future proofing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta