Charging issues with the galaxy nexus

rwhittaker13

Hey y`all! Recently ive noticed i have been having a new problem with my phone. When the phone is on the charger, everything works fine. It`s when the phone is off the charger that i have problems. Often my phone will say its still charging even when its not even connected to a charger. The screen wakes up from lock mode often due to the device constantly saying its charging/discharging. Its quite irritating to have this issue, due to the fact that im lucky if i get any more than 3 hours of standby because of the screen being turned on by the constant charging/discharging issue. Anyone know what could be the cause of this?

In my experience, a device that shows it is charging when it is not, usually has liquid damage around the charging port. Ever get the phone wet? Drop it in snow? Leave it next to a sweating drink?

Either that, or the port itself is weakening or coming loose from the board. Take it in to a repair center.

Yes, charging when it's not plugged in is about 90% chance there is corrosion of some kind in the port, causing it to short the pins and think it is charging.

Sometimes, cleaning it with denatured alcohol can remedy the situation if it's just some kind of debris causing it, corrosion on the other hand is hit or miss.

On the plus side, if it is liquid damaged and you get a REALLY nice tech, they may replace the charging port for you. The Galaxy Nexus is one of the few devices I believe that have a replaceable charging port (not at work, don't quote me). This would be against policy however, DO NOT EXPECT OR DEMAND IT. That will just make them want to help you out less and probably just send you along to Asurion for a replacement through TEP (if you have it).

• Like 1

Hey y`all! Recently ive noticed i have been having a new problem with my phone. When the phone is on the charger, everything works fine. It`s when the phone is off the charger that i have problems. Often my phone will say its still charging even when its not even connected to a charger. The screen wakes up from lock mode often due to the device constantly saying its charging/discharging. Its quite irritating to have this issue, due to the fact that im lucky if i get any more than 3 hours of standby because of the screen being turned on by the constant charging/discharging issue. Anyone know what could be the cause of this?

Like what was already said, it could be an hardware issue but you did mention about your screen going on and off randomly which was happening to me as well, for a different reason though. I could sit my nexus on the table and within the span of 10 minutes my screen would go on and off randomly all by itself several times and my battery would last no more than maybe 4 to 5 hours with little to no use at all but it turned out to be a rom issue. Honestly I have had lots of random issues running various 4.2.1 roms on my nexus.

Like what was already said, it could be an hardware issue but you did mention about your screen going on and off randomly which was happening to me as well, for a different reason though. I could sit my nexus on the table and within the span of 10 minutes my screen would go on and off randomly all by itself several times and my battery would last no more than maybe 4 to 5 hours with little to no use at all but it turned out to be a rom issue. Honestly I have had lots of random issues running various 4.2.1 roms on my nexus.

I am running a custom rom, so that could be the reason for the screen turning on and off. To the other replies, i have not checked the battery terminals for corrosion yet, so i will do that as soon as i can. Will rubbing alcohol do to clean them if they are corroded? Edited by rwhittaker13

If you're using rubbing alcohol, use something extremely high percentage (98% or higher), or use denatured alcohol. Otherwise, the alcohol will evaporate before the water, leading to the same problem all over again.

Also, it's the charging port (microUSB) that you should be checking.