LTE connection issues

smorcy11

So I understand it helps to toggle airplane mode to get the lte connection. I am doing this in known lte signal areas and I get nothing but 3G.

Any other tricks or do I have a bad device?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

So I understand it helps to toggle airplane mode to get the lte connection. I am doing this in known lte signal areas and I get nothing but 3G.

Any other tricks or do I have a bad device?

Couple of things to check.

1. Make sure that your phone is in CDMA/LTE mode, and not CDMA only. I made the mistake of leaving my phone in CDMA only mode on a recent trip to KC, took me a frustrated hour to figure out why I wasn't getting LTE.

2. Are you on a fringe area, or are you next to the tower? If you're on a fringe area, if may be the signal isn't strong enough for the EVO, which is known to have trouble with weaker LTE signals. It's gotten better with recent updates, but could be better.

3. Raleigh/Durham is still in the very very early stages of deployment There is only a handful of towers currently active, and any one of them could be down at any time, either for continued adjustments, maintenance, or just plain down.

Until coverage is a little more widespread, I wouldn't worry too much about it, though I know if can be frustrating waiting for that 4G icon to show up.

Couple of things to check.

1. Make sure that your phone is in CDMA/LTE mode, and not CDMA only. I made the mistake of leaving my phone in CDMA only mode on a recent trip to KC, took me a frustrated hour to figure out why I wasn't getting LTE.

2. Are you on a fringe area, or are you next to the tower? If you're on a fringe area, if may be the signal isn't strong enough for the EVO, which is known to have trouble with weaker LTE signals. It's gotten better with recent updates, but could be better.

3. Raleigh/Durham is still in the very very early stages of deployment There is only a handful of towers currently active, and any one of them could be down at any time, either for continued adjustments, maintenance, or just plain down.

Until coverage is a little more widespread, I wouldn't worry too much about it, though I know if can be frustrating waiting for that 4G icon to show up.

I will check on the 1st suggestion.

As to the other two, I have done it directly under and passing by known 4G towers.

As to the other two, I have done it directly under and passing by known 4G towers.

The only way to know for sure is to compare with another Sprint LTE device in the same place. If you can document that your device does not connect to LTE even with proper settings, you may be able to get Sprint to replace it. That may be a little tricky considering the market hasn't been announced, and some representatives may try to tell you that there isn't any LTE in the area. Good luck though!

The only way to know for sure is to compare with another Sprint LTE device in the same place. If you can document that your device does not connect to LTE even with proper settings, you may be able to get Sprint to replace it. That may be a little tricky considering the market hasn't been announced, and some representatives may try to tell you that there isn't any LTE in the area. Good luck though!

Hmm. I just checked and phone is on the LTE settings.

Should I leave the "connections optimizer" on or off?

Hmm. I just checked and phone is on the LTE settings.

Should I leave the "connections optimizer" on or off?

I haven't figured that out yet. I was under the impression that it was mainly for helping offload to WiFi more easily, but it also mentions LTE. I don't think it's going to do anything to help you connect initially. If I understand it correctly, it remembers where you have previously been connected to LTE, and does additional scans to reconnect you when you are back in that area. Same with WiFi. So, if that's correct, it won't help to get you connected if you've never connected before.

Passing by a tower my not be helpful at this point either. The footprint is so small that you can pass through the area before the device gets a chance to grab a signal. If it makes you feel any better I have not been able to grab LTE either. But I will wait until the area is better built out before I start making noise about it. Sprint likely won't listen until the market is announced anyhow.

Passing by a tower my not be helpful at this point either. The footprint is so small that you can pass through the area before the device gets a chance to grab a signal. If it makes you feel any better I have not been able to grab LTE either. But I will wait until the area is better built out before I start making noise about it. Sprint likely won't listen until the market is announced anyhow.

I work under a quarter mile from one tower and have sat there and got nothing. You're right though, I'll give it some time

I work under a quarter mile from one tower and have sat there and got nothing. You're right though, I'll give it some time

The ideal thing to do is to have another lte capable phone to have a comparison. Do you know anyone with a gnex, gs3, note 2 etc.....? If so then use that device to see if you can get connected. Even though the site may be confirmed to be lte, there could be other issues involved and it could have easily been temporarily taken offline. No need to get all worked up or frustrated, like Dkoellerwx said, Raleigh is in the very early stages of getting upgraded.

• 3 weeks later...

The ideal thing to do is to have another lte capable phone to have a comparison. Do you know anyone with a gnex, gs3, note 2 etc.....? If so then use that device to see if you can get connected. Even though the site may be confirmed to be lte, there could be other issues involved and it could have easily been temporarily taken offline. No need to get all worked up or frustrated, like Dkoellerwx said, Raleigh is in the very early stages of getting upgraded.

I made a video demonstrating this and posted it on xda. They agreed to swap it out . The replacement still wont even connect while the ladie's S3 sits on lte all day at the house.