Change 4G symbol on android devices?

Synovialbasher

Hi everyone,

I've been using this site for a while now, and LTE is starting to pop up around me (still haven't connected to it personally yet though). I have a rooted galaxy s3, and from what I've heard, when you connect to LTE, the only sort of notification you get is that the 3G changes to the number 4G in the notifications bar. Since I don't often look there (and glancing up there I probably wouldn't catch sight of it unless all of a sudden my data was going a heck of a lot faster), I'm wondering if there is a way to change what it shows in the status bar as 4G. Maybe something obvious like YOUR_ON_4G or something like that? Or if that's too long I'd rather have it just say 4G LTE so it'll be a little different? Does anyone know how to do this? Right now I'm running stock but I'm considering cyanogenmod for all its themes.

Thanks everyone,

Joe

Decompiled the systemui. Found the stupid 4g icon. Looked at the ATT and VZW ones sitting next to it. Decided against them when I saw the plain classic LTE one. Copied it over the stupid one. Fixed the Min3g boolean so I could see 1x. Recompiled and threw it on my phone. I also got rid of the ugly green battery icons too.

Sent from my little Note2

• Like 2

I installed this "network monitor" app that has an icon in the status bar. You can change the color. So when I'm in 4g it turns purple (like sensorly) and 3g its green (lke sensorly) ill post a pic later.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=msd.n2g.n3g&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIm1zZC5uMmcubjNnIl0.

Maybe something obvious like YOUR_ON_4G or something like that?

I would elect to go for the YOU'RE_ON_4G, but that's just me...

LOL, sorry to go all grammar police on you. Just poking fun...

• Like 3

If you guys give me your SystemUI.apk I can change the 4g icon for you and send you a flash able zip. Let me know if you're interested. Theming is my specialty. ;)

Also - I can change 3g to EvDo or 1x to 2G. Lol whatever floats your boat. I just run pure aosp because I like Googles icons.

• Like 2

Be sure and fix the 1x/3g garbage too ;)

Well, the 3g/1x is I think a smali edit, along with a boolean edit. Both of which I'd have to research into. I know how to change pngs and even font colors but placement is unfortunately out of my control. :P

Like this?

Easy mod in Systemui as the icon was already there.

Sent from my little Note2

Yes! That's exactly what I was thinking!!!

If you guys give me your SystemUI.apk I can change the 4g icon for you and send you a flash able zip. Let me know if you're interested. Theming is my specialty. ;)

Also - I can change 3g to EvDo or 1x to 2G. Lol whatever floats your boat. I just run pure aosp because I like Googles icons.

Can you guide me through the process of giving you the SystemUI.apk and then re-applying it? I've never modified anything like that and I have some idea on probably how to do it, but I don't want to screw it up...

I think I successfully modified the 4G icon in the SystemUI.apk file, and then reapplied it to my phone. No telling until I go into a 4G area. I just don't know how to edit the 1x/3G boolean to show 1x when needed. If I could send the necessary file to you, would you edit it and send it back to me Ascertion? Just let me know what to do. Thanks in advance! ;)

You'd have to decompile it via apk tool or apk manager, go to res>values>boolean.XML and edit the false value to true. Then recompile.

Is this the SystemUI.apk file we are talking about? I don't see that in the res folder.

What I wish we could really get is what we had with WiMax 4G and we do have with WiFi; a separate signal strength indicator along with the 1X signal strength.

my dad has a flip phone, that has a set of bars for 1x and another set of bars for 3g. i am unsure of the make. i do know that it is a verizon phone. I would love to be able to have this, maybe even the option of putting whichever meters a person would prefer on the status bar

I would elect to go for the YOU'RE_ON_4G, but that's just me...

LOL, sorry to go all grammar police on you. Just poking fun...

Oh... Yes. My mind was thinking in programming mode where an apostrophe is considered unacceptable lol.

If someone could post a link to how to decompile the systemui.apk and change it, then re-apply it that would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to try anything without a set of instructions, or if Ascertion could do it for me I'd really appreciate it.

• Like 1

my dad has a flip phone, that has a set of bars for 1x and another set of bars for 3g. i am unsure of the make. i do know that it is a verizon phone. I would love to be able to have this, maybe even the option of putting whichever meters a person would prefer on the status bar

Aosp code has this. Its smali edits though. Custom Roms such as Miui use this dual signal system.