Synovialbasher

Change 4G symbol on android devices?

Hi everyone,

I've been using this site for a while now, and LTE is starting to pop up around me (still haven't connected to it personally yet though). I have a rooted galaxy s3, and from what I've heard, when you connect to LTE, the only sort of notification you get is that the 3G changes to the number 4G in the notifications bar. Since I don't often look there (and glancing up there I probably wouldn't catch sight of it unless all of a sudden my data was going a heck of a lot faster), I'm wondering if there is a way to change what it shows in the status bar as 4G. Maybe something obvious like YOUR_ON_4G or something like that? Or if that's too long I'd rather have it just say 4G LTE so it'll be a little different? Does anyone know how to do this? Right now I'm running stock but I'm considering cyanogenmod for all its themes.

Thanks everyone,

Joe

lynyrd65    831

An "LTE" icon would be nice as would an "EHR" and "EV" icon.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

digiblur    7,872

Like this?

Easy mod in Systemui as the icon was already there.

Sent from my little Note2

• Like 2

lynyrd65    831
Like this?

Yes!

digiblur    7,872

Yes!

I did it a few weeks ago but it is still stuck on 3G in my area ;)

owensri2    142

Like this?

How is this done? I like the idea! :P

digiblur    7,872

Decompiled the systemui. Found the stupid 4g icon. Looked at the ATT and VZW ones sitting next to it. Decided against them when I saw the plain classic LTE one. Copied it over the stupid one. Fixed the Min3g boolean so I could see 1x. Recompiled and threw it on my phone. I also got rid of the ugly green battery icons too.

• Like 2

mc_gusto    827

I installed this "network monitor" app that has an icon in the status bar. You can change the color. So when I'm in 4g it turns purple (like sensorly) and 3g its green (lke sensorly) ill post a pic later.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=msd.n2g.n3g&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIm1zZC5uMmcubjNnIl0.

mc_gusto    827

Like this

uploadfromtaptalk1358820280207.jpg

pyroscott    2,471

Maybe something obvious like YOUR_ON_4G or something like that?

I would elect to go for the YOU'RE_ON_4G, but that's just me...

LOL, sorry to go all grammar police on you. Just poking fun...

• Like 3

jaybiz81    72

What I wish we could really get is what we had with WiMax 4G and we do have with WiFi; a separate signal strength indicator along with the 1X signal strength.

digiblur    7,872

Android was too advanced for the new people coming in, so they had to dumb it down for them since that's what they were used to.

Ascertion    2,663

If you guys give me your SystemUI.apk I can change the 4g icon for you and send you a flash able zip. Let me know if you're interested. Theming is my specialty. ;)

Also - I can change 3g to EvDo or 1x to 2G. Lol whatever floats your boat. I just run pure aosp because I like Googles icons.

• Like 2

digiblur    7,872

Be sure and fix the 1x/3g garbage too ;)

• Like 1

Ascertion    2,663
Be sure and fix the 1x/3g garbage too ;)

Well, the 3g/1x is I think a smali edit, along with a boolean edit. Both of which I'd have to research into. I know how to change pngs and even font colors but placement is unfortunately out of my control. :P

Like this?

Yes! That's exactly what I was thinking!!!

If you guys give me your SystemUI.apk I can change the 4g icon for you and send you a flash able zip. Let me know if you're interested. Theming is my specialty. ;)

Also - I can change 3g to EvDo or 1x to 2G. Lol whatever floats your boat. I just run pure aosp because I like Googles icons.

Can you guide me through the process of giving you the SystemUI.apk and then re-applying it? I've never modified anything like that and I have some idea on probably how to do it, but I don't want to screw it up...

owensri2    142

I think I successfully modified the 4G icon in the SystemUI.apk file, and then reapplied it to my phone. No telling until I go into a 4G area. I just don't know how to edit the 1x/3G boolean to show 1x when needed. If I could send the necessary file to you, would you edit it and send it back to me Ascertion? Just let me know what to do. Thanks in advance! ;)

Ascertion    2,663

You'd have to decompile it via apk tool or apk manager, go to res>values>boolean.XML and edit the false value to true. Then recompile.

owensri2    142

You'd have to decompile it via apk tool or apk manager, go to res>values>boolean.XML and edit the false value to true. Then recompile.

Is this the SystemUI.apk file we are talking about? I don't see that in the res folder.

peteyz24    158

What I wish we could really get is what we had with WiMax 4G and we do have with WiFi; a separate signal strength indicator along with the 1X signal strength.

my dad has a flip phone, that has a set of bars for 1x and another set of bars for 3g. i am unsure of the make. i do know that it is a verizon phone. I would love to be able to have this, maybe even the option of putting whichever meters a person would prefer on the status bar

I would elect to go for the YOU'RE_ON_4G, but that's just me...

LOL, sorry to go all grammar police on you. Just poking fun...

Oh... Yes. My mind was thinking in programming mode where an apostrophe is considered unacceptable lol.

If someone could post a link to how to decompile the systemui.apk and change it, then re-apply it that would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to try anything without a set of instructions, or if Ascertion could do it for me I'd really appreciate it.

• Like 1

Ascertion    2,663

my dad has a flip phone, that has a set of bars for 1x and another set of bars for 3g. i am unsure of the make. i do know that it is a verizon phone. I would love to be able to have this, maybe even the option of putting whichever meters a person would prefer on the status bar

Aosp code has this. Its smali edits though. Custom Roms such as Miui use this dual signal system.

Virtualbot    160

Just changed my 4G icon to an LTE icon and found it to be not so tough. Thanks for sharing! :tu: