SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Mike, tried sending diagnostic, but said failed

I just tried as well and ran into the same issue.. I don't know what keeps happening. The app sends the data to a very simple script on my website, a script that I never touch. I have no idea why it keeps giving that odd "Temporary Redirect" error. I'm on it...

-Mike

• Like 1

I just tried as well and ran into the same issue.. I don't know what keeps happening. The app sends the data to a very simple script on my website, a script that I never touch. I have no idea why it keeps giving that odd "Temporary Redirect" error. I'm on it...

-Mike

Tried sending the CA diagnostic for you

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Tried sending the CA diagnostic for you

Thanks. Keep trying; I just tried about a dozen times, and most of them went through. I am looking into it and intend to change the app itself to be more robust. Unfortunately the way it's configured now, the server doesn't give any technical details about why the report is failing like this.

EDIT: Should be resolved for now; I think the hosting server is just getting overloaded. Unfortunately I'm paid up for another 18 months and don't want to throw that away.. I will keep working on the app side to handle these issues better.

-Mike

Edited by mikejeep
  • Like 3

Not yet by earfcn just by GCI and ALU 10x10 should end with 11/12/13. That is why ingenium first image shows 10x10. I also thought earfcn 8640 was 10x10.

Sprint does not always show 10x10 in GCI format depending on the market like Pittsburgh is not shown by GCI.

8640 is a 10x10 carrier

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mike,
I got excited when I thought they upgraded this small cell site to B41, but when I checked the engineering screen, it's still B25. I don't know if anyone had showed you this yet, but it's misidentifying it as B41. I took two screen shots because it's two different small cells at the same site. I haven't checked the two other small cell sites near me yet. da0e3a2038eeee29247f7af38c11fff5.jpg31804b1e6fb91ab7372e5fab8df59ff8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

hmmm, a 1900Mhz small cell. Photos would be great (place in another Shentel thread). 800Mhz was a known possibility. Overall B41 still the right way to go given the odds. Might need an override list option. Good find!

hmmm, a 1900Mhz small cell. Photos would be great (place in another Shentel thread). 800Mhz was a known possibility. Overall B41 still the right way to go given the odds. Might need an override list option. Good find!

I think they've been around for some time. Before B41 small cells were considered for deployment.

I think they've been around for some time. Before B41 small cells were considered for deployment.

You are correct. Before Softbank. Useful, but evolutionary dead ends.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I posted this in the Nexus 5X thread but was told it might be bad data. Have you ever seen ATT band 25 reported? I'm no longer in that area (Somerset KY area if it's not in the screenshot), so I can't attempt to recreate it.

4ebdcfd06b7ac83e3aaf26cb16837f18.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I posted this in the Nexus 5X thread but was told it might be bad data. Have you ever seen ATT band 25 reported? I'm no longer in that area (Somerset KY area if it's not in the screenshot), so I can't attempt to recreate it.

4ebdcfd06b7ac83e3aaf26cb16837f18.jpg

We have seen AT&T implementing MFBI and broadcasting in the PCS G Block in select areas, the first more often that the latter, although this very well could be stale data. Did you have a chance to grab engineering screenshots?

We have seen AT&T implementing MFBI and broadcasting in the PCS G Block in select areas, the first more often that the latter, although this very well could be stale data. Did you have a chance to grab engineering screenshots?

Unfortunately I didn't think to do that

Looking for a hand from my faithful followers.. Android has an online bug tracker that helps sort out issues with the OS. Users can "vote" for issues by giving them a 'star' which helps bring them to the attention of the important powers that be. If you haven't already, could you take a moment and 'star' the following Android bug reports to help work some of the glitches out that will make SignalCheck a better app? It only takes a moment.

Bug report for LTE neighbors not displaying in Android 7: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/63848701

Bug report for invalid LTE EARFCN data with newer bands: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/37136986

Request to add a method to obtain LTE bandwidth: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/37132691

And for reading this far down, I will reward you with the good news that another SCP update is on the horizon.. testing should be done soon.

Thanks!

-Mike

• Like 13

I starred the issues. Just wondering if you saw the bug I posted about a few days ago.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3060-signalcheck-android-app-to-monitor-your-2g3g4g-lte-signal-strengths/?p=512380

Thanks! I did see that.. I've been thinking about it a lot, and hadn't come up with a great approach on how to address it so I hadn't replied yet. The problem is it's perfectly fitting the GCI pattern for B41 SC (even third character; characters 4-6 exceed 900; sector 01). This is the first B25 report I've seen, but I worry that it won't will be the last. So do I just display them all as small cells and eliminate the band designation? Or is this going to be a rare find?

-Mike

Thanks! I did see that.. I've been thinking about it a lot, and hadn't come up with a great approach on how to address it so I hadn't replied yet. The problem is it's perfectly fitting the GCI pattern for B41 SC (even third character; characters 4-6 exceed 900; sector 01). This is the first B25 report I've seen, but I worry that it won't will be the last. So do I just display them all as small cells and eliminate the band designation? Or is this going to be a rare find?

-Mike

It's probably a rare find according to a conversation I had with another member. Apparent Shentel used some B25 small cells before B41 small cells became available. Maybe some others with knowledge can comment.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just pushed out an update to SignalCheck Pro, version 4.44.. everyone can grab it on Google Play here! It was more significant than I originally intended, but that's good for you guys.. here are the highlights:

NEW OPTIONS:

Display mobile connection IP address
When the app is in the foreground and the mobile data connection (not Wi-Fi) is active, you will see your external IP address displayed. PLEASE NOTE: This feature uses data. It pings my server which simply responds with your external IP -- nothing is captured, logged, or saved at all. It is only a small amount of data (literally, the response is just your IP in plain text), but it will happen every time your mobile signal changes. I do not expect it to be a significant amount of data, but for an app that really doesn't use data, this is something worth pointing out. When the app is not in the foreground, you are on Wi-Fi, or this option is disabled (as it is by default), nothing is displayed and no data is used.

Display Reset Mobile Connection button on the action bar
You can now show the button on the main screen, action bar, both, or neither.

Hide CDMA 1X display when connected to LTE
If you're a big fan of neighbor cells, this should give you more screen real estate. This only changes the main screen display; logs will still record GCI and any notification icons will still reflect a 1X connection if present.

Display LTE ECI (decimal) instead of GCI (hex)
Somebody asked for it a long time ago. This only changes the main screen display; logs will still record GCI.

NOTABLE NEW FEATURES:

Added feature to add current location to a site note
When editing a site note, you will see a new button "HERE" that will fill the prompt with your current location if you have the app's Location Service enabled. If "HERE" is grayed out, the app didn't have your location coordinates at the time you opened the prompt. If you decide you don't want to use the address that pops up, simply cancel the prompt and your previous note will remain in place.

Improved diagnostic reports; failed reports will now be saved and can be manually resubmitted from the Send Diagnostics screen
If you try to send diagnostics but your connection (or my server) is unavailable, the report will be saved on your device. It will be attempted again when you send another report, or if you select the "Send Saved" option from the diagnostic report screen. Should be very helpful to those of you who do testing with deactivated devices.

Changed provider to indicate if CDMA 1X connection is a Sprint Airave or 800 SMR
This helps make CDMA logs a bit more useful, and brings CDMA logging more in line with how LTE providers are logged.

Added donation link to About screen
Those of you who have asked for it, you can now throw me a few extra bucks if you're feeling generous. You will get nothing in return other than knowing you made my day and motivated further development! Thank you!

BUG FIXES AND LESS-EXCITING STUFF:

• Added indicators for some Sprint LTE band 25 oDAS cells.
  • Added notification icons for LTE bands outside of North America.
  • Resolved force closes at startup in certain situations.
  • Resolved force closes when requested permissions are not immediately granted on Android 6+.
  • Resolved issue with connection titles overlapping signal meters.
  • Resolved issue with geocoder features not working.
  • Resolved issue with LTE 1900 notification icons missing.
  • Resolved issue with LTE band conflicts between native EARFCN and GCI-calculated band.
  • Resolved issue with LTE frequency title not updating properly in certain situations.
  • Resolved issue with misidentified Sprint LTE band 25 10×10 sites in certain areas.
  • Resolved issue with unreliable CDMA 1X BSL and Site Note displayed in the notification pulldown when a call is in progress.

A *long* overdue update to SignalCheck Lite is finally on the horizon as well, it will bring the free version up to speed with all relevant features and fixes to date.

As always, feedback is welcomed and my sincerest thanks to everyone for their support. And to my Beta Crew for being a huge help!

-Mike

• Like 10

Just pushed out an update to SignalCheck Pro, version 4.44.. everyone can grab it on Google Play here! It was more significant than I originally intended, but that's good for you guys.. here are the highlights:

NEW OPTIONS:

Display mobile connection IP address

When the app is in the foreground and the mobile data connection (not Wi-Fi) is active, you will see your external IP address displayed. PLEASE NOTE: This feature uses data. It pings my server which simply responds with your external IP -- nothing is captured, logged, or saved at all. It is only a small amount of data (literally, the response is just your IP in plain text), but it will happen every time your mobile signal changes. I do not expect it to be a significant amount of data, but for an app that really doesn't use data, this is something worth pointing out. When the app is not in the foreground, you are on Wi-Fi, or this option is disabled (as it is by default), nothing is displayed and no data is used.

Display Reset Mobile Connection button on the action bar

You can now show the button on the main screen, action bar, both, or neither.

Hide CDMA 1X display when connected to LTE

If you're a big fan of neighbor cells, this should give you more screen real estate. This only changes the main screen display; logs will still record GCI and any notification icons will still reflect a 1X connection if present.

Display LTE ECI (decimal) instead of GCI (hex)

Somebody asked for it a long time ago. This only changes the main screen display; logs will still record GCI.

NOTABLE NEW FEATURES:

Added feature to add current location to a site note

When editing a site note, you will see a new button "HERE" that will fill the prompt with your current location if you have the app's Location Service enabled. If "HERE" is grayed out, the app didn't have your location coordinates at the time you opened the prompt. If you decide you don't want to use the address that pops up, simply cancel the prompt and your previous note will remain in place.

Improved diagnostic reports; failed reports will now be saved and can be manually resubmitted from the Send Diagnostics screen

If you try to send diagnostics but your connection (or my server) is unavailable, the report will be saved on your device. It will be attempted again when you send another report, or if you select the "Send Saved" option from the diagnostic report screen. Should be very helpful to those of you who do testing with deactivated devices.

Changed provider to indicate if CDMA 1X connection is a Sprint Airave or 800 SMR

This helps make CDMA logs a bit more useful, and brings CDMA logging more in line with how LTE providers are logged.

Added donation link to About screen

Those of you who have asked for it, you can now throw me a few extra bucks if you're feeling generous. You will get nothing in return other than knowing you made my day and motivated further development! Thank you!

BUG FIXES AND LESS-EXCITING STUFF:

• Added indicators for some Sprint LTE band 25 oDAS cells.
  • Added notification icons for LTE bands outside of North America.
  • Resolved force closes at startup in certain situations.
  • Resolved force closes when requested permissions are not immediately granted on Android 6+.
  • Resolved issue with connection titles overlapping signal meters.
  • Resolved issue with geocoder features not working.
  • Resolved issue with LTE 1900 notification icons missing.
  • Resolved issue with LTE band conflicts between native EARFCN and GCI-calculated band.
  • Resolved issue with LTE frequency title not updating properly in certain situations.
  • Resolved issue with misidentified Sprint LTE band 25 10×10 sites in certain areas.
  • Resolved issue with unreliable CDMA 1X BSL and Site Note displayed in the notification pulldown when a call is in progress.

A *long* overdue update to SignalCheck Lite is finally on the horizon as well, it will bring the free version up to speed with all relevant features and fixes to date.

As always, feedback is welcomed and my sincerest thanks to everyone for their support. And to my Beta Crew for being a huge help!

-Mike

Mike, found a bug, I'm on the main network but my 1x says I'm on my Airave 3. Would you like a diagnostic? b4ce392af2afd023ad98bf9ca341bfe3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk