SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

No luck sending you diagnostics. Tried on LTE & WiFi. Got a screenshot of the error I got while sending:

860cc8c46ae347c69b4ef7e965383b76.jpg

I am using an unrooted S7 on Sprint, running the U firmware (Unlocked) 7.0

Same error on my S7 Edge VZW.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mike, I've encountered a bug where changing a site note on the 1x side doesn't change them all. I remember the lte notes did the same thing but you fixed that. Any way to address this in future builds? Thanks for all you do!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not really anything mike can do unless you want to make a spreadsheet of all the SID. ALU and Samsung use different places in the BID to put the sector identifier.
  • Like 2

This may have been asked before. I have a new phone and wonder if I can retrieve my site notes to import into the app in the new phone.

TIA,

David

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

This may have been asked before. I have a new phone and wonder if I can retrieve my site notes to import into the app in the new phone.

TIA,

David

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

Back up your database on the old phone, import said database on new.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks @RyanThaDude, you beat me to it! @davidtm, go to Logs > Backup Log Database on your old device. That will save a file (/SignalCheck/timestamp_signalcheck_log.db) on your device. Copy that file onto your new device and go to Logs > Import Log Database on that device. Navigate to wherever you saved the file, select it, and you should be all set.

Right now, importing a log will erase any existing log entries on that device. The app will warn you of this.

-Mike

• Like 2

Mike, I've encountered a bug where changing a site note on the 1x side doesn't change them all. I remember the lte notes did the same thing but you fixed that. Any way to address this in future builds? Thanks for all you do! 

Not really anything mike can do unless you want to make a spreadsheet of all the SID. ALU and Samsung use different places in the BID to put the sector identifier.

Flompholph nailed it.. it's not a bug, that is how the app has always functioned. I do feel your pain, because when I'm trying to ID a new 1X connection it's annoying.

LTE sites are easier to correlate because there is a clear, consistent pattern between GCIs at the same site. On the CDMA side, a character in the hex BID value does indicate the sector, but as stated, it varies depending on which market you are in. I tried coming up with something to match these up, but it proved to be sloppy and unreliable at the time.

If I could determine a way to identify which BID configuration is in play (I'm guessing there might be a range of SIDs for each vendor?), I might be able to revisit it.

-Mike

• Like 2

Flompholph nailed it.. it's not a bug, that is how the app has always functioned. I do feel your pain, because when I'm trying to ID a new 1X connection it's annoying.

LTE sites are easier to correlate because there is a clear, consistent pattern between GCIs at the same site. On the CDMA side, a character in the hex BID value does indicate the sector, but as stated, it varies depending on which market you are in. I tried coming up with something to match these up, but it proved to be sloppy and unreliable at the time.

If I could determine a way to identify which BID configuration is in play (I'm guessing there might be a range of SIDs for each vendor?), I might be able to revisit it.

-Mike

Thanks Mike, didnt know if it was intentional or not. Thanks for the explanation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Which is why I am sooo thankful for the database file that you maintain :tu: . Adding CDMA site notes were too much of a hassle to add to my personal database file.

Sending diagnostic reports is partially fixed.. still failing about 25% of the time but nobody can figure out why. I installed a completely different script on the server and it is still occasionally kicking back that "Temporary redirect" error. I will keep working on it..

EDIT: It seems to be working consistently again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

-Mike

Edited by mikejeep

Apologies if this has been mentioned before. But is there anyway to change the color of the icon in status bar when the status bar is white or light colored. Right now it just looks like white characters on white a background and it's illegible. Thanks MikeJ

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Apologies if this has been mentioned before. But is there anyway to change the color of the icon in status bar when the status bar is white or light colored. Right now it just looks like white characters on white a background and it's illegible. Thanks MikeJ

I've had a couple e-mails about this.. the light/dark color switching is completely controlled by the OS. There are no options on the developer side to configure how that works. Others who reported this issue had custom ROMs or launchers installed, so it's likely related to some sort of customization like that. It adjusts properly on stock ROMs.

-Mike

I've had a couple e-mails about this.. the light/dark color switching is completely controlled by the OS. There are no options on the developer side to configure how that works. Others who reported this issue had custom ROMs or launchers installed, so it's likely related to some sort of customization like that. It adjusts properly on stock ROMs.

-Mike

Ah ok thanks Mike. I do have nova installed. But not a custom rom just regular ol Samsung s7e. I only brought it up because every other black/white icon I have handles the light/dark thing pretty seamlessly. So I thought it was an easy fix. Thanks tho!

• Like 1

Ah ok thanks Mike. I do have nova installed. But not a custom rom just regular ol Samsung s7e. I only brought it up because every other black/white icon I have handles the light/dark thing pretty seamlessly. So I thought it was an easy fix. Thanks tho!

Sorry! Complain to the Nova Launcher people.. that has been the most common offender based on those who have reached out to me.. do all of the different SCP icons do it? Or only the multi-layered ones (i.e. band + signal strength)? That's the only thing I can think of that might differ from other apps.

-Mike

Mike I went back to the band 66 area and sent you a report

Got it. Confirmed the OS is undoubtedly reporting EARFCN 950. Based on the math and everything posted here and elsewhere, it seems as if there's an issue with Android or Qualcomm radio firmware when the EARFCN is in the higher ranges (above 47000 at least). I reported it to Android, I'll figure out how to nag HTC and Qualcomm too.

-Mike

• Like 3

Possible bug, this is showing as 10x10 second carrier, and I think it's just first carrier based on the earfcn.

41ce7bab0729602b594e367d21e7d7f3.jpg

Also, it looks like second B25 carrier is showing in Pittsburgh with 08 GCI ending. It's not 10x10 though, only the first carrier is. I couldn't get a screenshot with valid earfcn data though, it kept kicking me off as soon as I connected.

190a15c9e0cd7b3508c88894dd2a6877.jpg

24a566276ce4d23403a5b6a6fb2937a9.jpg

78d434cc90e470a03fe7a23c5b05042b.jpg

EDIT: Actually, I just realized the GCI is the same for each of these... but TAC and PCIs differ. And the GCI isn't in Pittsburgh's range. Could be a weird issue of persistent bad data...

The Shentel market 10x10 2nd carrier is NOT showing as 10x10 in areas where it's active. 2nd carrier is showing as "normal" 5x5 in SCP. I'm sure it's a work in progress.

I was just in the Philly (or possibly Central PA) market and the 10x10 notation was accurate there. I was near the border between them on I-78 when I noticed it and checked it to be accurate. I just can't remember for sure what market I was in at the time.

That was deferred until next release.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Possible bug, this is showing as 10x10 second carrier, and I think it's just first carrier based on the earfcn.

Also, it looks like second B25 carrier is showing in Pittsburgh with 08 GCI ending. It's not 10x10 though, only the first carrier is. I couldn't get a screenshot with valid earfcn data though, it kept kicking me off as soon as I connected.

EDIT: Actually, I just realized the GCI is the same for each of these... but TAC and PCIs differ. And the GCI isn't in Pittsburgh's range. Could be a weird issue of persistent bad data...

Yeah you might have had some stuck data for some reason, but in a Samsung market (PIT is) 08 indicates 10x10. There is a bug in the current version that will show inaccurate 10x10 in ALU markets, it'll be fixed in next update.

The Shentel market 10x10 2nd carrier is NOT showing as 10x10 in areas where it's active. 2nd carrier is showing as "normal" 5x5 in SCP. I'm sure it's a work in progress.

What GCI endings? Can't remember off the top of my head what made it into the current release and what I have added since..

-Mike

What GCI endings? Can't remember off the top of my head what made it into the current release and what I have added since..

-Mike

That's probably the problem. B25 2nd carrier endings here (Shentel) are 09, 0A, 0B, but they use those for both 5x5 and 10x10. I was hoping you were able to use something to pull from the modem to get that info.

That's probably the problem. B25 2nd carrier endings here (Shentel) are 09, 0A, 0B, but they use those for both 5x5 and 10x10. I was hoping you were able to use something to pull from the modem to get that info.

Not yet by earfcn just by GCI and ALU 10x10 should end with 11/12/13. That is why ingenium first image shows 10x10. I also thought earfcn 8640 was 10x10.

Sprint does not always show 10x10 in GCI format depending on the market like Pittsburgh is not shown by GCI.

• Like 1

Aha.. no, I haven't gone down that road yet. EARFCNs are displayed and used to indicate band, but that's it for now. Trying to weed out all the bugs that small piece has created before I jump into doing more with it. The 10x10 indicator only shows up if it matches one of the GCI patterns.

-Mike

• Like 1

Looking for a favor from those of you with compatible devices in markets with carrier aggregation live.. if you think CA is active (I believe you need to be actively transferring data to really know), please send a diagnostic report from the app (About > Send Diagnostics) while it's active. Please include a note stating why you're sending it (something simple like "CA active" is fine). Trying to get it working in SCP, but I need some more real-world data to make sure I'm doing it right.

Thanks,

-Mike

• Like 5