SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

AGREED!!

Howdy all. Checking in again. Yep, same excuse, crazy busy, blah blah blah.. but I have been working on it, slowly. Due to my lack of progress, I've decided to take a new approach to the Android permissions nightmare that is really holding everything up. Everyone is antsy for new features and the new API stuff -- and that includes me.

The big holdup is how the app reacts when someone revokes a permission while it is running; right now it's pretty catastrophic. As in, worst case scenario is the device is frozen until the battery dies (!). Denying a permission doesn't go so well either. Android guidelines (and my conscience) require that the app handle these scenarios properly. However, because SignalCheck is really just displaying a lot of data it's getting from the phone itself, this is more complicated than one would expect.

I'm changing directions and going to leave crude protections in place for those who don't grant permissions, and instead going to focus on adding other new goodies. I can't release it publicly like that, but at least it will hopefully give me a chance to implement some of this new stuff and let others play with it.

I also want to change who has access to beta versions since it's been so long since anyone has gotten an update, but I need to figure out the logistics of that.

Seriously, thanks for your patience. I realize it's been a year, and a lot has changed since then. New band identifiers and new API features will be the first priorities.

-Mike

I'M IN! I mean, I'm still in. :)

Thanks Mike

• Like 1

Got most of the new band identifiers implemented over the past few days, but I also broke some stuff in the process.. 2 steps forward, 1 step back. Getting there, though.

I sincerely appreciate all the kind words and support for the app I've received privately and on this thread! I do see every message, even if I don't get back to you right away.

-Mike

• Like 13

I used to run it all the time.  I have troubleshot it down to being one of the apps that hammers the performance on my GS7Edge.  I can't run Google maps nav and/or Waze at the same time.

My phone becomes unresponsive and has a tendency to lock to the lock screen and fight me hard and laggily to get back in.  I only run it now when I don't have a need for other relatively high HP apps and when I want to survey an area.

I used to run it all the time.  I have troubleshot it down to being one of the apps that hammers the performance on my GS7Edge.  I can't run Google maps nav and/or Waze at the same time.

My phone becomes unresponsive and has a tendency to lock to the lock screen and fight me hard and laggily to get back in.  I only run it now when I don't have a need for other relatively high HP apps and when I want to survey an area.

Hmm, that doesn't sound right.. it doesn't "do" all that much in the background, as all of the functions simply "listen" for signal changes when the device provides them. Is it any better/worse with the app's Logger and/or Location Service disabled? When it is running, do signals typically update rapidly or does it seem to be more normal?

-Mike

By the way, is there anything I can provide you regarding the non-Sprint carriers?  I can't remember what I did and didn't send you.

You sent me quite a bit! I've filled in a lot of blanks today from numerous sources, S4GRU and otherwise. AT&T is fully handled as of now. Got some solid T-Mobile info through an old friend that will help clean things up significantly. caspar347 hooked me up with fantastic Verizon info, but I'm still trying to figure out more. I have conflicting information on their Band 5 sectors, and I'm lacking information on DAS or other non-macro sites if you or anyone else have anything to share..?

-Mike

• Like 1

I wish a SCP beta thread would be considered. I'm not really interested in digging through 30+ replies to something I'm not a part of.

• Like 3

Mike, anyway you could take off the band class when the frequency class is enabled in the notification shade?

Frequency class is gone for now. I think the band identifier is a bit more useful anyway, since it would show additional carriers, small cells, etc..

FYI beta discussion moved to a new thread: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7720-signalcheck-beta-crew-forum/

-Mike

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Allow more permissions? Not sure what you are asking for..

-Mike

You said a hurdle in your development is Android permissions.. would opening up some with adb help?

Battery stat programs like GSAM can have extra access to system through adb not requiring root.

You said a hurdle in your development is Android permissions.. would opening up some with adb help?

Battery stat programs like GSM can have extra access to system through adb not requiring root.

Oh I understand what you were saying now.. I'll give a better explanation of what I was referring to. The new permissions requirements in Android 6+ require users to explicitly grant certain permissions at runtime. Previously, users granted permissions when installing an app from Google Play. If they did not agree, the app was not installed. Now, apps must prompt users for individual permissions as needed.

It is tricky with an app like SignalCheck that is typically running in the background at startup. Because of the nature of the app, it requires certain permissions for it's core functionality. It's easier for other apps to handle this.. for example, the first time you try to take a picture with the Facebook app, you will be prompted to grant the Camera permission to the Facebook app. If you deny it, then you just can't use the camera part of that app, and everything else works fine. SignalCheck needs the Phone and Location permissions for it's basic features to work.. without those, it is completely useless. But if a user never opens up the UI to grant the permission, what happens when it automatically launches at boot? Or what if a user revokes some (or all) permissions while the app is running? Android developers must that ensure that all of these situations (and others) are accounted for. It has been more complicated than I expected.

Good news is a ton of new features are in beta testing and things are going generally well. There are still some kinks to work out (including the permissions issue) but I'm getting there. Check the SCP beta thread for a sneak peek.

-Mike

• Like 7

Drum roll.. a SignalCheck Pro update is finally rolling out today! Lots of bug fixes, new features, behind the scenes improvements.. good stuff. My apologies for taking over a year to get this out. There will (hopefully) be more timely updates moving forward.

I will post a detailed changelog here once the update is pushed out. Check here for a sneak peek at what has been in testing: http://www.bluelinepc.com/signalcheck/change-log/

EDIT: Just so nobody is blasting away at their Play Store icon, it will probably not be available until this evening. I'll send a tweet from @bluelinepc as soon as it's in Google's hands.

-Mike

• Like 17

After 14+ months.. (and then still just after midnight on the East Coast even though I promised it today).. an update for SignalCheck Pro is finally out! It's too late for me to bang out details for every item on the change log, but check it out (click here) to see what is new.

I will point out 3 of the most notable issues:

• Android 7+ devices will see LTE EARFCN (frequency) data and use that to calculate the LTE band if the device supports it. Samsung seems to be the only OEM that is failing to do this. I have reached out to them but have not gotten a useful response yet. LTE neighbor cell EARFCNs are available too, and I intend to add neighbors to GSM/WCDMA soon.

• The app will no longer make an "educated guess" about the LTE band when connected to T-Mobile sites on the East Coast or in most of the West. T-Mobile's network configuration in these regions is too inconsistent to rely on this method. Users in South and Central markets, and those with devices that can obtain EARFCN data, will see reliable LTE band information. I know this will make many people unhappy, but in the interest of accuracy, I had no choice.

• The notification icons will not display the specific LTE band or frequency for many bands outside of the US; it will simply show "LTE" for now. This will be fixed in the next update, but I did not want to delay this release any further.

I will post more details about some of the less self-explanatory items in a few days. SignalCheck Lite will be updated accordingly sometime in the next few weeks. Thanks for your patience and support!

-Mike

• Like 20

After 14+ months.. (and then still just after midnight on the East Coast even though I promised it today).. an update for SignalCheck Pro is finally out! It's too late for me to bang out details for every item on the change log, but check it out (click here) to see what is new.

I will point out 3 of the most notable issues:

• Android 7+ devices will see LTE EARFCN (frequency) data and use that to calculate the LTE band if the device supports it. Samsung seems to be the only OEM that is failing to do this. I have reached out to them but have not gotten a useful response yet. LTE neighbor cell EARFCNs are available too, and I intend to add neighbors to GSM/WCDMA soon.

• The app will no longer make an "educated guess" about the LTE band when connected to T-Mobile sites on the East Coast or in most of the West. T-Mobile's network configuration in these regions is too inconsistent to rely on this method. Users in South and Central markets, and those with devices that can obtain EARFCN data, will see reliable LTE band information. I know this will make many people unhappy, but in the interest of accuracy, I had no choice.

• The notification icons will not display the specific LTE band or frequency for many bands outside of the US; it will simply show "LTE" for now. This will be fixed in the next update, but I did not want to delay this release any further.

I will post more details about some of the less self-explanatory items in a few days. SignalCheck Lite will be updated accordingly sometime in the next few weeks. Thanks for your patience and support!

-Mike

Awesome!  Damn Mike, you should consider setting up a Donation link on your site or something.

Signal check is my third most used app, after the browser and messengers, and I'm pretty sure most of us here share the same feeling.

• Like 4

Awesome! Damn Mike, you should consider setting up a Donation link on your site or something.

Signal check is my third most used app, after the browser and messengers, and I'm pretty sure most of us here share the same feeling.

Well that is all very flattering, thank you. Comments like that make all the hours learning, coding, and testing worth it. I may add a donation link someday, but not until I prove I can get an update out at least twice a year.. ;)

-Mike

• Like 3

Well that is all very flattering, thank you. Comments like that make all the hours learning, coding, and testing worth it. I may add a donation link someday, but not until I prove I can get an update out at least twice a year.. ;)

-Mike

Patreon!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Really appreciate the update Mike! It actually makes me sad my current provider is not Sprint anymore as it seems they benefit the most from these changes. Will definitely keep using this on my phone though and may look into tracking more Sprint again since this seems to make it far easier to do so!

• Like 2

Here is a screenshot showing some of the key changes for Sprint customers (highlighted):

1) LTE will now display the correct band. There is a lot more Band 41 out there than people thought.

2) MM is for Mini Macro, which has allowed Sprint to greatly expand Band 41 coverage due to far lower costs

3) On most Android 7.x devices you can see the earfcn and frequency midpoint without being rooted (some Samsung devices are not compliant).

4) On Android 7.x phones you can also see the earfcn for neighbors, which can sometimes help to find small cells.

Airspan Air Harmony smalls are also indentified (SC) along with Magic Boxes (MB) and Triband Antennas (TB).

3e70156ffa4db80a5899bf4250136eeb.jpg

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

• Like 3