Getting an EVO LTE by Brown Truck tomorrow

smorcy11

I had an upgrade to burn and was seriously disappointed with all the troubles I had out of my Samsung GS2, so I did some looking on Amazon wireless.... Found they had EVO LTE for $.01 on a 2 year upgrade...so for a penny, I bit. I've got another upgrade coming in October on my wife's line, so if something better happens to come out this summer then I'll be all over it.

However, I'm looking forward to going back to HTC (My GS2 has been a nightmare).

If it doesn't have all the updates, is there any updates I should NOT perform?

Also, what other tidbits of info should I know about it? Any bugs you've found fixes for?

I may eventually root it, but I'll probably go stock for a while first.

You might find the nightmare all over again. I dumped the EVO LTE as I had enough of it. The reception capabilities of it were horrible when I would compare it to the wife's S3.

They have gotten better since the JB update. I wouldn't say it was a nightmare. The phone overall is a great phone.

I had an upgrade to burn and was seriously disappointed with all the troubles I had out of my Samsung GS2, so I did some looking on Amazon wireless.... Found they had EVO LTE for $.01 on a 2 year upgrade...so for a penny, I bit. I've got another upgrade coming in October on my wife's line, so if something better happens to come out this summer then I'll be all over it.

However, I'm looking forward to going back to HTC (My GS2 has been a nightmare).

Also, what other tidbits of info should I know about it? Any bugs you've found fixes for?

Update everything to the latest stock update, if it doesn't already come with it. The Jelly Bean update helped to fixed some of the LTE connection issues people were having. It's still not perfect, bit once your area has more than just a few towers upgraded, the LTE issues become much less of a problem. Otherwise, I've been very happy with my EVO LTE.

They have gotten better since the JB update. I wouldn't say it was a nightmare. The phone overall is a great phone.

I still have one on one of my lines. The latest stock updates are on the phone. The RF is still garbage. Since I swapped them out of their Epic 4G and into the EVO LTE, their roaming ratio has gone way up. Right now they have used twice as much data roaming than regular. Their usage hasn't changed nor anything else, just a basic user. My experience with the phone agrees that the RF characteristics of the phone is worse than the Epic 4G and that's pretty bad.

Although on the positive side... since the RF is pretty bad it's pretty quick to switch over to roaming where an S3 will hang on to a weak signal and get very slow speeds.

I still have one on one of my lines. The latest stock updates are on the phone. The RF is still garbage. Since I swapped them out of their Epic 4G and into the EVO LTE, their roaming ratio has gone way up. Right now they have used twice as much data roaming than regular. Their usage hasn't changed nor anything else, just a basic user. My experience with the phone agrees that the RF characteristics of the phone is worse than the Epic 4G and that's pretty bad.

Although on the positive side... since the RF is pretty bad it's pretty quick to switch over to roaming where an S3 will hang on to a weak signal and get very slow speeds.

I suppose that would be a problem in your area, but I don't think I've been roaming for.... I don't know how long. Still using the EVO as my everyday phone, regular trips back to KC from Springfield, and other parts of Missouri. Guess I'm just never far enough from coverage to notice.

I suppose that would be a problem in your area, but I don't think I've been roaming for.... I don't know how long. Still using the EVO as my everyday phone, regular trips back to KC from Springfield, and other parts of Missouri. Guess I'm just never far enough from coverage to notice.

I don't leave the market coverage area much either, just happen to leave the tower footprints at times. Sometimes roaming is intentional though, as it has been for the past several days. I can see the tower out my office window and get a -65dbm signal. No data. Our channel 100 on EVDO is broken and channel 75 says "no, go to 100". Tech support refuses to fix it. So I have to roam. Affects several users I've talked to. Been like that for a couple months.

I am very happy with my EVO LTE. While I'm sure that the GS3 has a stronger radio than the EVO, I haven't had any RF experiences with it that I would call unsatisfactory. Personally, I think that everything else on the EVO is superior to the GS3. In my area I noticed much better reception than my old Epic 4G.

I'd consider getting the EVO $0.01 a complete steal. Try it out and if you're not satisfied return it for a GS3.

• Like 3

I am very happy with my EVO LTE. While I'm sure that the GS3 has a stronger radio than the EVO, I haven't had any RF experiences with it that I would call unsatisfactory. Personally, I think that everything else on the EVO is superior to the GS3. In my area I noticed much better reception than my old Epic 4G.

I'd consider getting the EVO $0.01 a complete steal. Try it out and if you're not satisfied return it for a GS3.

Amazon had it for a penny, so I couldn't pass it up. The GS3 was $120. I figured with another upgrade coming in 10 months it wouldn't be too bad.

Samsung lost my GS3 purchase by SUCKING so bad with my GS2. That thing has been garbage, the list of hardware and software problems I had is too long to start listing.

I don't leave the market coverage area much either, just happen to leave the tower footprints at times. Sometimes roaming is intentional though, as it has been for the past several days. I can see the tower out my office window and get a -65dbm signal. No data. Our channel 100 on EVDO is broken and channel 75 says "no, go to 100". Tech support refuses to fix it. So I have to roam. Affects several users I've talked to. Been like that for a couple months.

What are you talking about? You leave the market coverage 10 times on your way to work. Because none of your sites overlap. :rofl:

Robert

Amazon had it for a penny, so I couldn't pass it up. The GS3 was $120. I figured with another upgrade coming in 10 months it wouldn't be too bad.

Samsung lost my GS3 purchase by SUCKING so bad with my GS2. That thing has been garbage, the list of hardware and software problems I had is too long to start listing.

Interesting, I thought my GS2 was the cat's meow. Both the wife and me had a hard time giving them up when we switched phones. It was head and shoulders better than the Evo 3D I had before it.

Beware it may be a never ending cycle. Started with the HTC Hero, which pushed me to the Samsung Epic, which in turned pushed me back to HTC.

Think I found a place where I'm happy at right now though lol.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

What are you talking about? You leave the market coverage 10 times on your way to work. Because none of your sites overlap. :rofl:

Robert

Ain't that the truth!! And to think there's a Nextel tower right under the "8" on the "408" label in the pic where the roaming coverage is shown. Guess Sprint thinks no one lives there. Oh well...

• Like 1

Beware it may be a never ending cycle. Started with the HTC Hero, which pushed me to the Samsung Epic, which in turned pushed me back to HTC.

Think I found a place where I'm happy at right now though lol.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Yep, went HTC for a bit with the Mogul, TP, and TP2. Finally jumped to the Epic. Epic4g garbage pushed me to the EVO LTE. Couldn't take the EVO and jumped to the Note2. Love it so far.

Yep, went HTC for a bit with the Mogul, TP, and TP2. Finally jumped to the Epic. Epic4g garbage pushed me to the EVO LTE. Couldn't take the EVO and jumped to the Note2. Love it so far.

It seems like so long ago, but I swore off Samsung after their flip phones were FULL of bugs in the software. Then the wife wanted the GS2 when it came out because she liked her Samsung smartphones (even though they were some of the worst phones Sprint ever released) the Instinct and the Moment. After playing with the GS2, I had to trade in my 3VO for it. I've had nothing but Samsung since...

Interesting, I thought my GS2 was the cat's meow. Both the wife and me had a hard time giving them up when we switched phones. It was head and shoulders better than the Evo 3D I had before it.

GPS wouldn't lock in 90% of the time unless I rebooted my phone.

When I finally got ICS which was supposed to fix GPS, it didn't.

Battery life went from bearable to horrid after ICS.

My phone would randomly get smoking hot when charging.

I got a menu key glitch about 2 months ago that made the phone almost unusable.

Random restarts that I didn't force.

Just a myriad of problems, that's off the top of my head.

I finally, after 4 visits to a repair store, got them to replace the handset and I'm going to hand it down to my wife to replace her Evo 4G.

It is a never ending cycle... I'm hoping to see some really good improvements in the second round of LTE phones by Sprint.

GPS wouldn't lock in 90% of the time unless I rebooted my phone.

When I finally got ICS which was supposed to fix GPS, it didn't.

Battery life went from bearable to horrid after ICS.

My phone would randomly get smoking hot when charging.

I got a menu key glitch about 2 months ago that made the phone almost unusable.

Random restarts that I didn't force.

Just a myriad of problems, that's off the top of my head.

I finally, after 4 visits to a repair store, got them to replace the handset and I'm going to hand it down to my wife to replace her Evo 4G.

It is a never ending cycle... I'm hoping to see some really good improvements in the second round of LTE phones by Sprint.

That sucks. I was running ROMs on mine the whole time, but the wife was bone stock and had 1 LOS occurance, but it was fixed within a week of that happening with an OTA and she never had another problem.

You might have had a lemon.

That sucks. I was running ROMs on mine the whole time, but the wife was bone stock and had 1 LOS occurance, but it was fixed within a week of that happening with an OTA and she never had another problem.

You might have had a lemon.

No doubt it was a lemon. I could hardly find a handful of people who had the menu glitch problem alone... After a lemon like that one, I don't want to see another Samsung for a while

Well to add to this discussion, other than lte connection issues(which has improved quite a bit since getting the phone on release day), I haven't had any reception issues that were not tower related. To the OP, I noticed that you are in Raleigh, now I am sure that things have improved(I would hope), but when I was in Raleigh back in October it was one of the worse sprint experiences I have ever had to suffer through.

Well to add to this discussion, other than lte connection issues(which has improved quite a bit since getting the phone on release day), I haven't had any reception issues that were not tower related. To the OP, I noticed that you are in Raleigh, now I am sure that things have improved(I would hope), but when I was in Raleigh back in October it was one of the worse sprint experiences I have ever had to suffer through.

Yeah, the reception in the overall Raleigh/Durham area is pretty bad. I've only lived here the last 18 months. I'm hoping things improve substantially in the next 6 months.

I think an EVO LTE for a penny is a great deal... Personally, I still love my EVO LTE (even more than my original EVO)....

Yeah, the reception in the overall Raleigh/Durham area is pretty bad. I've only lived here the last 18 months. I'm hoping things improve substantially in the next 6 months.

This I have to disagree with. As far as coverage, Raleigh is excellent. There is virtually no place outdoors that you can go in Raleigh(Wake County) where you wont have a usable signal. If you have a spot other then Sharon Harris I would like to know about it because my job takes me all over the county. Now data is another animal.

This I have to disagree with. As far as coverage, Raleigh is excellent. There is virtually no place outdoors that you can go in Raleigh(Wake County) where you wont have a usable signal. If you have a spot other then Sharon Harris I would like to know about it because my job takes me all over the county. Now data is another animal.

It may not be Raleigh so much as Durham. Durham is awful, especially north Durham.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2