Network Vision/LTE - Western & Central Pennsylvania Markets (Lancaster, Scranton, Erie, State College, Williamsport)

jeremyandrew

I have been able to confirm with one of my sources that Samsung is working on this site.  Samsung is working with Sprint on firing up B25 LTE on existing Ground Mount sites around Erie.  It is the test site, and once they figure out how to mitigate some integration issues, they will fire it up and expand to other GMO sites around Erie.  This is an exciting development.  Hopefully this will go well around Erie and can be expanded to more GMO sites in the Western PA market.

Another rumor heard is that Sprint will be converting some GMO's to full build around the Western PA market next year.  Where this occurs, Sprint can add B26 too.  The end of the W-PA embargo is nigh!

Any news on GMO LTE in State College? EVDO gets overburdened during the day next to campus to the point where its unusable. I've had issues where data won't connect at all unless I powercycle the device, which may or may not be a result of GMO LTE testing. 

Just a curious question, did Sprint complete it's buildout requirements for this area (State College)? Just from some reading around the FCC website, State College is located within Economic Area 9, along with Altoona. Altoona is serviced by Shentel, whereas State College is Sprint Corporate. Altoona has a larger population according to the documents. 

Correct me if I am wrong on any of the above information I found. 

Any news on GMO LTE in State College? EVDO gets overburdened during the day next to campus to the point where its unusable. I've had issues where data won't connect at all unless I powercycle the device, which may or may not be a result of GMO LTE testing. 

Just a curious question, did Sprint complete it's buildout requirements for this area (State College)? Just from some reading around the FCC website, State College is located within Economic Area 9, along with Altoona. Altoona is serviced by Shentel, whereas State College is Sprint Corporate. Altoona has a larger population according to the documents. 

Correct me if I am wrong on any of the above information I found. 

I don't know any more than what I posted, unfortunately.  So this GMO LTE integration testing sounded like it was limited to Erie initially.  However, if successful, could expand out to places like State College, too.  Also, with the expansion of full build conversions happening in select areas in 2016, it sure seems like State College would be high on the list.

As for buildout requirements, Sprint has already met minimum buildout requirements for 1900MHz, 800MHz and 2500MHz.  The FCC does not require any specific technology, so once they met them with the technologies they did, nothing further is required.

If Sprint adds LTE to GMO sites in State College, it will initially just be B25 (1900).  Sprint can add B41 (2500) to GMO sites too, if they so desire as needed in the future.  However, B26 (800) will require a conversion to a full build site.

As for buildout requirements, Sprint has already met minimum buildout requirements for 1900MHz, 800MHz and 2500MHz.  The FCC does not require any specific technology, so once they met them with the technologies they did, nothing further is required.

I was aware that technology used was not important for buildout, but isn't buildout band specific? As in buildout of A-F Block doesn't satisfy PCS G Block requirements. As mentioned earlier, I am fully aware the FCC will not come hammering down back onto the SMR requirements as they were satisfied long ago during the Nextel era. 

Over the past year, I have noticed that the towers began displaying wrong Geo-Locations, whereas before they were exact locations. Among other things, I have noticed the lowest pings in the area, sub-100 ms for 3G (not the congested downtown one). This may, however, be a result of living on the other side of town, and connecting to a hilltop tower rather than the closer downtown one. I would go further in detail, but that may breach Sponsorship rules about towers.

Finally, just a clarification on earlier posts about WiMax. Does the WiMax shutdown date mean that WiMax will be shutdown everywhere, or just in locations where there is a need for spectrum assets?

I was aware that technology used was not important for buildout, but isn't buildout band specific? As in buildout of A-F Block doesn't satisfy PCS G Block requirements. As mentioned earlier, I am fully aware the FCC will not come hammering down back onto the SMR requirements as they were satisfied long ago during the Nextel era. 

Over the past year, I have noticed that the towers began displaying wrong Geo-Locations, whereas before they were exact locations. Among other things, I have noticed the lowest pings in the area, sub-100 ms for 3G (not the congested downtown one). This may, however, be a result of living on the other side of town, and connecting to a hilltop tower rather than the closer downtown one. I would go further in detail, but that may breach Sponsorship rules about towers.

Finally, just a clarification on earlier posts about WiMax. Does the WiMax shutdown date mean that WiMax will be shutdown everywhere, or just in locations where there is a need for spectrum assets?

Yes, I did overlook PCS G-Block build out requirements.  Sprint will need to meet that.  But they can do that with enabling GMO LTE.

As for site locations, some Sprint markets before Network Vision upgrades showed exact locations and some showed offset locations.  However, post NV all Samsung markets (like yours) now show offset coordinates.  If you gather offset locations for all three sectors and triangulate them, they will show you the location of the tower.  Only a handful of Ericsson and ALU Sprint markets still show exact locations.

As for WiMax, Sprint has said they are completely shutting down the WiMax network on November 6th.  That way they can save operational costs of keeping a separate network operating (data processing centers/switches and equipment, etc.).  There is significant operational savings by going to a LTE only network and retiring WiMax completely.

It's quite possible that at Samsung and Huawei WiMax Protection Sites that they turn on TD-LTE on B41 on November 6th in place of WiMax.  We don't know what they are going to do.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just pulled this down on a customers phone at work....really making me want to get a new phone but I don't want to give up my nexus 6  :unsure:. Anyone have opinions on the g4(can get a decent price on a used one) since it's a CA phone or does anyone know if the 6p supports CA

BuCDC4ql.jpg

• Like 1

Just pulled this down on a customers phone at work....really making me want to get a new phone but I don't want to give up my nexus 6 :unsure:. Anyone have opinions on the g4(can get a decent price on a used one) since it's a CA phone or does anyone know if the 6p supports CA

BuCDC4ql.jpg

The 6p supports it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I'm probably getting a little repetitive here...just wondering if there were any new updates for Erie, Pa or Meadville, Pa?  A few months ago we learned that they were working on firing up some LTE in our area but literally nothing has happened since then.  Still stuck with barely usable 3G and we're all chomping at the bit for a new network!  Any updates would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

A few months ago we learned that they were working on firing up some LTE in our area but literally nothing has happened since then.

Where did you hear that??  :wacko:

Maybe by the end of this year Erie will get some attention. But it's always been a maybe. Four years later..... 

Where did you hear that??  :wacko:

Maybe by the end of this year Erie will get some attention. But it's always been a maybe. Four years later..... 

Probably heard something right before that one site went live but that is it.

If you read the last couple pages, you will see there is one site in the process of being converted to GMO LTE. Following this, the plan is to convert more sites to GMO LTE. 

And in case you haven't followed other threads, Sprint has to setup something in the PCS G Block in Erie, PA, or they risk losing their G Block license within the area. This does not guarantee an LTE deadline by March, but Sprint will have to put something on that frequency, such as 1xRTT or EV-DO. 

So, for cost efficiency, it seems Sprint plans to setup GMO LTE in Erie to meet build out requirements. The deadline is early march, 2016. 

I am having call issues and text issues since April 2015. I have been working with Sprint's network team on troubleshooting these issues. They seem to be having trouble finding any issues. The zip code for the issues is 18707. Is there any way these towers are being upgraded and Sprint just does not see it? If not, anything I can ask them to check? Thanks for the help.

After calling Sprint about a data related issue, there is apparently work being done on a tower in State College to install 4G LTE. In the representative's own words, "the work is to be completed within the next two months". This aligns well with the Deadline for buildout of the PCS G Block, so there may be some truth to this. Whether this will be a full-build conversion or just GMO LTE is unknown. 

Back to the data issue. I have been having issues with data dropping. As in my Note 5 is connected to EV-DO or eHRPD with a strong signal (-70 dBm). EV-DO drops, and the phone remains connected to 1xRTT. The data session is still live, according to Signal Check. After five seconds, the EV-DO connection is reestablished.

This happens randomly. I could be trying to load a website, watching Youtube, etc. This happens whether the EV-DO connection is actively being used, or even if I'm on WiFi. 

Could this be a symptom of work being done on a tower? Or more of an authentication issue? 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been able to confirm with one of my sources that Samsung is working on this site.  Samsung is working with Sprint on firing up B25 LTE on existing Ground Mount sites around Erie.  It is the test site, and once they figure out how to mitigate some integration issues, they will fire it up and expand to other GMO sites around Erie.  This is an exciting development.  Hopefully this will go well around Erie and can be expanded to more GMO sites in the Western PA market.

Another rumor heard is that Sprint will be converting some GMO's to full build around the Western PA market next year.  Where this occurs, Sprint can add B26 too.  The end of the W-PA embargo is nigh!

Any update from Samsung on GMO LTE or full-build conversions? Was that test site in Erie finished/launched?

Being in State College, its 3G GMO only. And I honestly have no issue with it being 3G only so long as I can use the 3G. However, some places in downtown State College have abysmally slow 3G (much slower than Sprint's rated 600 Kbps), while others max out the theoretical throughput (consistent speeds of 2 Mbps). With the former I can't even load webpages, and the latter I can stream 1080p.

I tried calling Sprint to complain, and again, I usually state that I don't care that its 3G only and there's no 4G. I just state data is unusable at certain locations. From access to the sponsor maps, I know where the towers are located, and I know that different sectors of the same tower are overloaded, with others not overloaded. One sector gives speeds of 1 Mbps, the other sector gives less than 200 Kbps. 

Is there anyway I can tell Sprint about the issue? From what I have noticed, simply calling them and complaining isn't working; the CSRs pretty much say 3G is slower than 4G, and you shouldn't expect fast speeds. This ignores the issue that 3G is not usable. Is there a way I can contact Samsung (the vendor for the region) or a higher up Sprint representative who will look into the issue and attempt to fix it?

I'm not expecting Sprint to come in and install LTE, I just want a somewhat usable EV-DO connection as Sprint outlines on their website. 

I am sure you will see a lot of post here if lte is turned on in erie.

Sprint Zone app seems to be the place to report slow data speeds maybe with enough different people they will look to fix it. I don't think you will see usable 3g until they start launching LTE just to many people. I also don't think B25/B26 will survive by itself for to long there once people know they can use it. I know a lot of areas in State College I don't even think about streaming any audio or look up anything on a map.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone, just wanted to give you guys an update for Erie, PA - LTE went live as of yesterday!!  For the most part speeds are still about the same right now...but we're hoping that will increase soon?  All phones that were set to "Automatic time & date" were set back an hour so we're dealing with some upset customers but we'll take it if that means faster speeds!  Just wanted to let everyone know so they can prepare if that happens in your area, and ask if speeds should be increasing?  I know it's all GMO out here but we thought the speeds would go up at least a little bit...we're hoping they have some more tweaking to do!

Thanks again everyone!

• Like 3

Hey everyone, just wanted to give you guys an update for Erie, PA - LTE went live as of yesterday!!  For the most part speeds are still about the same right now...but we're hoping that will increase soon?  All phones that were set to "Automatic time & date" were set back an hour so we're dealing with some upset customers but we'll take it if that means faster speeds!  Just wanted to let everyone know so they can prepare if that happens in your area, and ask if speeds should be increasing?  I know it's all GMO out here but we thought the speeds would go up at least a little bit...we're hoping they have some more tweaking to do!

Thanks again everyone!

nice! i'm seeing the same thing on our rural GMO sites in central iowa, we have picked up LTE from 5 GMO sites so far.

• Like 1

There might also be a site (Not sure if it is a GMO or full build as the area is flooded with GMO sites but I do pick up B41 in that area) with LTE near the I80 I81 junction in PA. There is some LTE on Sensorly.com in that area. I just have not be able to locate which tower might be broadcasting it.

Thanks again everyone!

Was the LTE rollout a cluster? As in are all the sites around Erie turned on for GMO LTE, or is it just one site? Curious because State College as of now is still in EV-DO only. I did get a peculiar message yesterday on my phone, screenshot below. I'm not sure if it has to do with an imminent LTE rollout. 

Should I expect a GMO LTE rollout? Or is Sprint riding on the fact that Shentel built out most of the BEA, except State College?

oQSq5t4.png

• Like 1

From what I've heard, it was limited to Erie and if everything goes well they could expand to other areas.  Speeds aren't great right now in a lot of areas but they're still working on the towers from what I'm being told

Was the LTE rollout a cluster? As in are all the sites around Erie turned on for GMO LTE, or is it just one site? Curious because State College as of now is still in EV-DO only. I did get a peculiar message yesterday on my phone, screenshot below. I'm not sure if it has to do with an imminent LTE rollout. 

Should I expect a GMO LTE rollout? Or is Sprint riding on the fact that Shentel built out most of the BEA, except State College?

LTE is live in State College. It is GMO LTE, I disabled Band 25 via dialer codes and was shunted to EHRPD, so PCS G Block only. There is a blip of LTE on Sensorly maps, I'll map out more during the week.

So far it seems limited to one tower at the corner of W Calder Way and S. Burrowes St. I'll try to see if more sites are live as well as visit the WiMAX protection site to see if Band 41 is live. The tower itself was always very congested, so hopefully Sprint enabled GMO LTE on high use sites. 

CSFB appears to be working, calls came in and went out fine. SMS/MMS also worked fine. Below are screenshots of a Speedtest and Samsung "Enginerring". 

P9IH2zRm.png     dEqYpv2m.png

• Like 8

LTE is live in State College. It is GMO LTE, I disabled Band 25 via dialer codes and was shunted to EHRPD, so PCS G Block only. There is a blip of LTE on Sensorly maps, I'll map out more during the week.

Band 25 is LTE on PCS A-G blocks. 

If you disable Band 25 you basically disable LTE 1900 so ofcourse you won't find anything else. 

Band 25 is LTE on PCS A-G blocks. 

If you disable Band 25 you basically disable LTE 1900 so ofcourse you won't find anything else. 

I know band 25 is PCS A-G only. However, when I walk by the tower there are two different sets of antennas per sector. Two are smaller and beige in color. The other two are bright white, are larger, and appear newer. The bright white ones look very similar to the antennas in this thread (specifically the one with the yellow arrow pointing to it that says NETWORK VISION). I had some hope for a possible full NV conversion. I'll take a picture of the sector and post it tomorrow. I probably didn't compare them as closely as I should have.