gs2 4g connectivity question

bfniii

sorry for the remedial question but, will the gs2 remain 3g after the NV upgrade or will it be capable of 4g-ish speeds? i realize it won't be lte but, i'm hoping for some improvement. i did search the forums and the internet but, couldn't find anything definitive on this particular phone/upgrade

sorry for the remedial question but, will the gs2 remain 3g after the NV upgrade or will it be capable of 4g-ish speeds? i realize it won't be lte but, i'm hoping for some improvement. i did search the forums and the internet but, couldn't find anything definitive on this particular phone/upgrade

It will be capable of using the new and improved 3g network, but it won't see "4gish" speeds.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

you will be on 3g, no lte. But 3g speeds should be much improved and hovering around 2 mbps in some instances.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

edit: nevermind. just saw my question was already answered. thanks again

just out of curiosity, the phone has some sort of 4g capability. is the reason why it won't be 4g after NV because it's not configured for the specific NV communication type?

Edited by bfniii

edit: nevermind. just saw my question was already answered. thanks again

just out of curiosity, the phone has some sort of 4g capability. is the reason why it won't be 4g after NV because it's not configured for the specific NV communication type?

That is correct that it is not part of the Network Vision Plans to upgrade 4G WiMAX. Your phone will continue to use 4G WiMAX, but it won't be compatible with the new 4G LTE Network.

• 2 months later...

you will be on 3g, no lte. But 3g speeds should be much improved and hovering around 2 mbps in some instances.

i'm confused. i was in dallas last month and was getting 4g. speed was around 2mbps. i chalked it up to wimax still being active there. yesterday here in baton rouge, i was getting 4g near downtown. did sprint just activate wimax here?

also, my speeds went from average 700kbps to 2mbps.

yesterday here in baton rouge, i was getting 4g near downtown. did sprint just activate wimax here?

Sprint does not control WiMAX; Clearwire does. And Clearwire has long had two or three license protection sites in Baton Rouge.

AJ

Sprint does not control WiMAX; Clearwire does. And Clearwire has long had two or three license protection sites in Baton Rouge.

AJ

Yep, you can barely pick it in downtown BR. The site is near BRCC at Florida and Foster. The second site is in Baker. At least we have one more LTE site than wimax site ;)

Sent from my little Note2

• 4 weeks later...

digiblur, that's exactly where i was.

WiWavelength, what's confusing me is why i've never detected it before. why would a clearwire wimax tower go up recently for sprint when sprint is launching lte? what's in it for clearwire?

next question, i was in hattiesburg ms this past weekend and i was getting 4g speeds double what i was seeing in dallas. again, i go to hattiesburg frequently and i've never picked up 4g before.

i'm glad but at the same time, disappointed that i can get higher speeds seemingly everywhere except where i live. and this has happened within the last few months.

That site has been up for a long time. At least a year and a half or more. It's only a spectrum protection site and LTE is starting to cover Baton Rouge in some areas rather nicely. Check out Sensorly.com

Sent from my little Note2

• 2 weeks later...

I have gs2 now the 3g after network vision is proving to be extremely worthy. Instant youtube. Its nice. Legacy sites cant compare I get 2-3 down in my town. Which is good for the awful radio this device has. Can't wait for s4 next week!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I have gs2 now the 3g after network vision is proving to be extremely worthy. Instant youtube. Its nice. Legacy sites cant compare I get 2-3 down in my town. Which is good for the awful radio this device has. Can't wait for s4 next week!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

My cousin has a Gs2 on boost. Does it have an LTE radio in it or just WiMAX? She was showing 4G active in Charlotte, but was it WiMAX?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

My cousin has a Gs2 on boost. Does it have an LTE radio in it or just WiMAX? She was showing 4G active in Charlotte, but was it WiMAX? Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

As was already stated, the GS2 is WiMax only. If it shows 4G, that means it has found a WiMax signal.

• Like 1