HTC One preview thread (was "Any M7 takers?")

Feech

Sprint Announces HTC One later this year!

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2514

Maybe they are holding out for enough time to include some extra LTE radios!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

Oh, and goodbye EVO name. Some here will probably wail and gnash, then hold a funeral for you.

;)

AJ

• Like 1

AndroidCentral is listing this as network frequencies:

• GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
  • WCDMA (1900/2100 (B2/B1) MHz)
  • CDMA (800/1900 BC0/BC1/BC10, Sprint)
  • LTE (1900 (B25, SPCS)
  • Frequencies will vary by region/operator

Hopefully this should pass through the FCC soon.

Oh, and goodbye EVO name. Some here will probably wail and gnash, then hold a funeral for you.

;)

AJ

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they released an "EVO" edition soon after.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they released an "EVO" edition soon after.

Highly unlikely. PhoneScoop is reporting that HTC has learned from its mistakes last year, allowing the One series to become so fragmented, and that hurt overall sales compared to Samsung and the singular Galaxy S3.

2012 saw HTC put forth a lineup of phones called the One series. The One series started with three phones, and grew over the course of the year. Although they received high marks from reviewers and had many fans, global sales were not what HTC had hoped. This year, HTC is taking a cue from Apple and Samsung, and simplifying its efforts around a single flagship model, presumptuously called the “One”.

Fortunately, HTC has convinced three of the four big U.S. carriers to offer the One as-is, instead signing their fate away to a carrier exclusive. Even Sprint is giving up an EVO version this time around, opting to offer the One unaltered.

So, sorry, guys, I know that some of you were oddly attached to the EVO name, but it is going, going, gone.

AJ

• Like 1

If it comes with LTE 800/2600 support, considering it is a world phone thatis supposed to be one over 100 carriers in 80 countriesi, I will be selling my current EVO for that phone. The camera takes excellent low light photos without flash. Yet people are still hugging out about no removable battery and no SD card slot.

I'm one of those people. I want the One. The speakers are enough for me to sell my soul. There were 3 things shown this morning that made me say "I'd use that!". I can't wait to get my hands on it.

As I consider why I want an sd card slot I figure I can get a micro-usb thumb drive. I don't mind the 32/64G sizes I think either would be plenty for me. Just want to be able to get personal files off the device quickly.

I know why I want a removable battery. They wear out, freeze in cold weather, die, and just need to be replaced over time. Hopefully it isn't a huge task even if it isn't immediately available to remove. I don't mind voiding a warranty. I'll wait for some tear down guides to decide if I'm ok with this.

I just want this phone. Hoping I can keep myself happy with the limitations.

Unsurprisingly, Brian Klug at AnandTech has the best technical breakdown of the HTC One:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6754/hands-on-with-the-htc-one-formerly-m7

I am a bit disappointed that HTC had to go with the Snapdragon 600 (APQ8064Pro), which is a processor but not an integrated modem. The MDM9615 will cover modem duties, and the BCM4335 will cover Wi-Fi/Bluetooth.

So, battery life will probably not be as stellar as in some of the singular MSM8960 devices, such as the EVO LTE, which have processor, modem, and Wi-Fi/Bluetooth all on one SoC.

AJ

I'd bitch about the embedded battery - but 2300 is pretty solid. the 2100 in the GS3 seems to go all day even in my daughter's hands so this might no longer be an issue.

if it's 32GB or 64GB options, then the SD card is not really much of an issue either...I used to convince myself of that but with play music and pandora I store less and less on my phone...just for times when network access is an issue.

htc-one-silver.jpg?w=618

Anyone else notice that they put the microUSB port on the bottom again?!?! I think I'm happier about that than a person should be. On another note, I will be getting this on launch day if it gets LTE 800, HD Voice and there are no serious bugs or issues when the tech blogs post their reviews.

Why, Sprint has already announced it will carry the HTC One.

I know this already but I can still see it happening.

Highly unlikely. PhoneScoop is reporting that HTC has learned from its mistakes last year, allowing the One series to become so fragmented, and that hurt overall sales compared to Samsung and the singular Galaxy S3.

So, sorry, guys, I know that some of you were oddly attached to the EVO name, but it is going, going, gone.

AJ

HTC also said they they learned from the mistakes they made in 2011 when they released the HTC One x last year and look what happened during the rest of the year. Its good that they are going for a global release this time around, I just hope that they can take whatever momentum they created today and turn it into a successful launch so they can get back to making money.

• Like 1

I'm so disappointed in my EVO LTE that it would be hard for me to say I will probably pick this up. HTC does such a good job with hardware they make it hard for me to look at another maker. I like the Aluminum and what looks like a one piece back. I will wait on this one I think. My son is due for a upgrade around Xmas and this will be a definite step up from his Nexus S plus he is not as demanding or critical as I am.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Anyone else notice that they put the microUSB port on the bottom again?!?! I think I'm happier about that than a person should be. On another note, I will be getting this on launch day if it gets LTE 800, HD Voice and there are no serious bugs or issues when the tech blogs post their reviews.

As one who uses a cupholder to rest my phone in while charging in the car, this makes me unhappy.

LTE800? no chance.

I would like to see a slightly smaller version of this phone. For gaming and watching videos the 4.7 screen is really nice, but for practical usage, like texting on the go, and flipping through emails with one hand these size phones are just a bit too big for me.

I want to see a highly spec'd phone that is that size of my old EVO 4G, but about 1/3 thinner, and lighter. The T-mobile One S has the best feel in the hand of any phone I've held since I had my Nexus One, but the specs fell short (no NFC)...and it was on the wrong carrier.

As one who uses a cupholder to rest my phone in while charging in the car, this makes me unhappy.

LTE800? no chance.

Either put it upside down or find another place for it. As for no LTE 800... :cry: I guess I'll be fine with 1900 for now anyway since I probably won't be seeing LTE 800 until late this year or early next year. And when LTE 1900 site density increases I'll have great coverage.

Sounds to me like I'm getting this bad boy.

I would like to see a slightly smaller version of this phone. For gaming and watching videos the 4.7 screen is really nice, but for practical usage, like texting on the go, and flipping through emails with one hand these size phones are just a bit too big for me.

I want to see a highly spec'd phone that is that size of my old EVO 4G, but about 1/3 thinner, and lighter. The T-mobile One S has the best feel in the hand of any phone I've held since I had my Nexus One, but the specs fell short (no NFC)...and it was on the wrong carrier.

I was hoping for at least 5 inches.

(yes, thats what she said)

Why no wireless charging :scratch: I will buy it though I have 3 upgrades available this year.

I was looking forward to wireless charging as well but oh well, besides most people will end up putting their phones in cases anyway.

Not gonna happen. Consider yourself lucky that it is only 4.7 inches. The trend this year for flagship handsets is to push 5 inches. And I suspect that your wish will be in the minority. If anything, people will complain that the HTC One should have had a larger screen to take on the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and expected Galaxy S4.

AJ

• Like 1

I have always been a huge fan of htc since my apache from years ago and every time they release something new, I always get really excited but for some odd reason I am not really feeling it this time around. Now I might get it to replace my gnex which I simply just don't like anymore but as far as replacing my evo lte I will wait to see what the gs4 will be about.

Why no wireless charging :scratch: I will buy it though I have 3 upgrades available this year.

Why in the world would you want wireless (inductive) charging? It is quite inefficient, so it wastes electricity and takes longer to complete charging.

AJ

• Like 1

Why in the world would you want wireless (inductive) charging? It is quite inefficient, so it wastes electricity and takes longer to complete charging.

AJ

Because wireless charging looks cool, lol. :P

• Like 1

Because wireless charging looks cool, lol. :P

Then, put your phone in the microwave. That will wirelessly give it a "charge," too.

Folks, I will be perfectly blunt. The industry has standardized around Micro USB, so there is no more fumbling to find the right charger -- any one will do. If you cannot be bothered to take the five seconds to plug in a Micro USB charger, you are flat out lazy.

AJ

I have always been a huge fan of htc since my apache from years ago and every time they release something new, I always get really excited but for some odd reason I am not really feeling it this time around. Now I might get it to replace my gnex which I simply just don't like anymore but as far as replacing my evo lte I will wait to see what the gs4 will be about.

That actually is indeed very strange. I haven't been this excited about an HTC device since the OG Evo was announced. Now here's to hoping for LTE 800 in the FCC filing :fingers:

AJ

I have horrible experience with micro usb cables going bad right when I need them. Plus for wireless charging I am not concerned with charge time when I put it on my night stand every night and it is charged in the morning. Regarding inefficiency assuming full power draw non stop it costs me a $1.20 a month for a phone charger. (If I need to buy power that month I have solar panels and only need to buy power 3 months out of the year).