Samsung Galaxy Nexus - disable data roaming... does it disable really?

Bob Newhart

Got hit with data roaming charges while in Canada.

Before I went to Canada recently, on our two GNex phones, I selected the option to disable data roaming. (Unchecked allow data roaming).

When in Canada, SMS text messaging is included in my plans and I pay a per minute fee to talk, I use wifi for data. I understand that MMS won't work when data roaming is disabled.

While in Canada, the data symbol never showed up unless I was on wifi, the voice signal bars were never blue, they kept grey, which indicated I didn't have a data connection to the Google servers.

So, why did I get hit with data roaming charges on both phones?

On the previous version of the Android software (4.0 possibly) on these phones, configured them the same way, didn't get any roaming charges.

Now its its on version 4.1 (ish), I get hit with charges.

Is this a new bug with this version of the OS software?

Have you found that the GSIII international roaming disable option works, anyone?

I have international roaming disabled on my GS3, and have travelled several times close to the border in El Paso. Never had a problem with unwanted connections to Mexico.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish the GNex had those options that the GSIII has.

Saying that, if the data roaming disable option doesn't work, no saying those would work either. :(

I emailed Sprint today, asking for a credit and asking them to fix the firmware (via Google).

Think they'd swap my Nexus for a GSIII? I don't want to do this each time I'm Canada.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard from support, clueless, they didn't read my short email.

"Before going to Canada I verified that both my cell phones (Gaxaxy

Nexus), Data Roaming option settings were set to disabled. I only used

wifi when I was in Canada.

As described here: http://support.google.com/android/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1649769

I have been to Canada previously last year, with a different phone, the

Samsung Nexus S, I configured the same 'disable data roaming' option on

both phones, and I was not charged any roaming fees."

Their reply.

"I apologize but for you to have been billed for international data the

devices had to have connected with a tower.

Once you powered on the devices upon destination it has connected to

the tower creating the charges for the lines in question.

I apologize but the charges are valid and we are unable to adjust the

billing."

I heard from support, clueless, they didn't read my short email.

"Before going to Canada I verified that both my cell phones (Gaxaxy

Nexus), Data Roaming option settings were set to disabled. I only used

wifi when I was in Canada.

As described here: http://support.googl...&answer=1649769

I have been to Canada previously last year, with a different phone, the

Samsung Nexus S, I configured the same 'disable data roaming' option on

both phones, and I was not charged any roaming fees."

Their reply.

"I apologize but for you to have been billed for international data the

devices had to have connected with a tower.

Once you powered on the devices upon destination it has connected to

the tower creating the charges for the lines in question.

I apologize but the charges are valid and we are unable to adjust the

billing."

That stinks... I have a GN2 which has the options that the GS3 has... nice to know since I'm planning a trip to Canada this summer and I don't want to be stuck with those charges! Sucks that Sprint is unwilling to remove them should they exist on your bill, especially if it's unintentional.

Sucks that Sprint is unwilling to remove them should they exist on your bill, especially if it's unintentional.

To play devil's advocate, why should Sprint remove the charges if the international data roaming occurred? Then, Sprint takes the loss, and we all pay for that in the end. And do you realize how many people flat out lie to Sprint in an effort to get charges removed?

If the international data roaming occurred because of a hardware or stock Android fault, then the recourse lies with Samsung and/or Google. However, if the handsets were running non stock Android, then the liability returns to the end user.

AJ

The easiest way to keep from data roaming is to disable data period before you ever go over the border. Then there is no chance of using roaming data at all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

To play devil's advocate, why should Sprint remove the charges if the international data roaming occurred? Then, Sprint takes the loss, and we all pay for that in the end. And do you realize how many people flat out lie to Sprint in an effort to get charges removed?

If the international data roaming occurred because of a hardware or stock Android fault, then the recourse lies with Samsung and/or Google. However, if the handsets were running non stock Android, then the liability returns to the end user.

AJ

I agree with you AJ, people do lie all the time about their bill with wanting charges reversed etc. I worked for Sprint from 2003-2007. I guess I was sympathizing with JoeJoeJoe in his case cause it sucks to have surprise charges on a bill. :P

I re-read his OP and I think he should have put the phone in Airplane mode and just re-enabled Wifi to keep his phone from connecting to any towers. Once his phone connected with a tower there, then yes, those charges for data/voice are valid and I can see why Sprint did what they did. Again, this is something I'll have to be aware of when I take my trip this summer. Might just snag a Nexus 4 before going and leave my GN2 at home.

Daughters stock Transform Ultra had data roam turned off while she was in Canada and I got data charges too, despite confirming with Sprint that the option would prevent such charges. Other daughter lost her Evo on the plane there (luckily, I suppose).

I pay for discounted international roaming so they have a phone for emergency calls and texting while there. Airplane mode isn't an option.

Trying to figure out what to do next time. If this is how it works, then I will probably buy a feature phone with parental controls (password protect the data and it can't go online) and just swap the lines for the trips.

AJ

Why should they?

I bought the phone from Sprint who tests phones before they sell them.

I have not changed the software on the phone, stock firmware.

When in Canada, I use SMS texts which are included in the plan I have, plus phone calls, which I do pay roaming fees for.

The signal bars were grey the whole time that I was not logged into wifi. This indicates to me that the phone did not have a data connection.

I downloaded sections of maps before hand, so that I could use the google maps offline, just using the gps but no data. This worked. When I looked to a different mapped area, the phone told me "no data connection", which tells me that it has no data connection and the maps did not display for that new area.

Sprint should look into what is wrong with these phones instead of just blowing me off.

As I told them, I had disabled data roaming on the Nexus S 4G, and that worked as expected.

The easiest way to keep from data roaming is to disable data period before you ever go over the border. Then there is no chance of using roaming data at all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

I use wifi when in hotels or Tim Horton, data has to be enabled.

I disabled data roaming, several hundred miles from the border.

I agree with you AJ, people do lie all the time about their bill with wanting charges reversed etc. I worked for Sprint from 2003-2007. I guess I was sympathizing with JoeJoeJoe in his case cause it sucks to have surprise charges on a bill. :P

I re-read his OP and I think he should have put the phone in Airplane mode and just re-enabled Wifi to keep his phone from connecting to any towers. Once his phone connected with a tower there, then yes, those charges for data/voice are valid and I can see why Sprint did what they did. Again, this is something I'll have to be aware of when I take my trip this summer. Might just snag a Nexus 4 before going and leave my GN2 at home.

But if I turn on AP mode, I can not use my phones as a phone, or use texting, and defeats the object of carrying a phone for communications.

Did you not read the part where I said that disabled data roaming? If that menu option does not work, it should not be there.

What is the use of a phone if its in AP mode? None.

I have requested a credit again, asked them to either fix the phones or swap the phones for another model that works, or let me out of the contract.

Edited by JoeJoeJoe

But if I turn on AP mode, I can not use my phones as a phone, or use texting, and defeats the object of carrying a phone for communications.

Did you not read the part where I said that disabled data roaming? If that menu option does not work, it should not be there.

What is the use of a phone if its in AP mode? None.

I have requested a credit again, asked them to either fix the phones or swap the phones for another model that works, or let me out of the contract.

There is an option to disable all data services without turning on Airplane Mode.2013-01-21%2017.51.17.png

• Like 1

When in Canada, I use SMS texts which are included in the plan I have, plus phone calls, which I do pay roaming fees for.

Quick question - did you send or receive any pictures? Group messages? MMS goes over data services.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question - did you send or receive any pictures? Group messages? MMS goes over data services.

Nope I did not send or receive, did not try to send anything.

On previous phones, when I have disabled data roaming (or even data), no MMS will work.

This is the case with Android phones and non-smart phones. As soon as I get back in the USA, I get a bunch of MMS that have been queued.

There is an option to disable all data services without turning on Airplane Mode.

And when you disable this data roaming with that option and if you do roam.

The 'R' will be displayed and the signal bars should stay the colour grey, which would indicate that the phone has no data connection to the google servers.

When there is a data connection, the signal bars will be blue (on Android 4.0+).

Right?

Ok, I'm in a roaming part of the country in Northern Louisiana. I'm roaming on either Alltel or Verizon, not sure, the Netmonitor program indicates Alltel.

I took some screen captures, see if you can see the problem that I assume happens with these 2 phones I have in Canada.

#1) shows the roaming settings that Macinjosh posted above. Data roaming is disabled, yet the 'R' signal bars are blue, which says that phone is still connected to the google servers via cell data. Wifi is disabled.

goo.gl/c2tq1

#2) Shows the phone status 'about phone' page. Look at the line that describes the roaming state . . . it says it is NOT roaming, yes the status bar said it is.

goo.gl/43iQ1

#3) Shows the location where I am roaming, from the Netmonitor program (using data).

goo.gl/54OFK

#4) Shows it is roaming on Alltel, from the Netmonitor program.

goo.gl/5GrNT

#5) Shows the phone is using data.

goo.gl/Dqxq6

I haven't sent this to Sprint yet. I will do shortly.

I think this is very clear that the two unmodified, stock firmware, never changed the prls, do not work as designed.

All other Sprint phones I have taken to Canada/Mexico have stopped roaming, when I disable roaming.

Does anyone believe now? :lol::P;)

Ok, I'm in a roaming part of the country in Northern Louisiana. I'm roaming on either Alltel or Verizon, not sure, the Netmonitor program indicates Alltel.

I took some screen captures, see if you can see the problem that I assume happens with these 2 phones I have in Canada.

#1) shows the roaming settings that Macinjosh posted above. Data roaming is disabled, yet the 'R' signal bars are blue, which says that phone is still connected to the google servers via cell data. Wifi is disabled.

goo.gl/c2tq1

#2) Shows the phone status 'about phone' page. Look at the line that describes the roaming state . . . it says it is NOT roaming, yes the status bar said it is.

goo.gl/43iQ1

#3) Shows the location where I am roaming, from the Netmonitor program (using data).

goo.gl/54OFK

#4) Shows it is roaming on Alltel, from the Netmonitor program.

goo.gl/5GrNT

#5) Shows the phone is using data.

goo.gl/Dqxq6

I haven't sent this to Sprint yet. I will do shortly.

I think this is very clear that the two unmodified, stock firmware, never changed the prls, do not work as designed.

All other Sprint phones I have taken to Canada/Mexico have stopped roaming, when I disable roaming.

Does anyone believe now? :lol::P;)

Your phone's are whacked! That's all I can think of.

Your phone's are whacked! That's all I can think of.

Oh I know, but two phones I have operate the same.

Could anyone do me a favour here, when you are roaming (for real), can you look a the phone status screen.

To see if the roaming status indicator matches the 'roaming state' in the phone status screen as shown below here.

goo.gl/43iQ1

thanks!