Network Vision/LTE - Toledo Market (Toledo, Bowling Green, Findlay, Lima, Port Clition)

keelerman8042

Hrm after living with the LTE Deployment for a while now....how should i say this..... "its not great?"

there are alot of people who say that 1900MHz LTE will not propagate as well as 3G. well i can say for sure that is a fact. other lima guys have probably experienced this as well.

For instance, in a parking lot of our local walmart i can easily get a -80 dBm signal and get 20Mbps down. step inside and it goes "nope" instant -120 dBm and your getting about 4Mbps down. this is within a mile of a tower.

Warning for people who do NOT live in lima.

This is for the LIMA AREA! do not confuse this with your area if you are getting crappy signal and don't live in the lima area!

We definitely do not have enough towers to service our area for 1900MHz Lte a few more in key spots (like 2 or 3 more) would fix everything perfectly. That or Lte on 800MHz whenever canada decides we can actually have it as with the current cell spacing LTE on 800MHz would spread the love to all black holes around lima.

I don't know what you expect of LTE. I have AT&T B17 (700 MHz). There is a site next to a Walmart here in my city. Outside, I get a -82dBm RSRP on AT&T B17. I go inside Walmart. It drops to -115dBm RSRP. It's not as if there is some magical physics defying low frequency spectrum.

Low frequencies do help. But the big issue here is LTE has a fragile airlink. Going inside buildings is highly variable. So many different construction types.

Big box stores can be the worst with metal roof trusses, metal roof decks and lots of roof insulation. Especially in Northern climates. Match that with CMU, stucco or concrete tilt up walls, and that's the reason why LTE signals drop 30dBm or more going indoors. It's amazing they don't drop completely.

If you get a B25 signal inside a big box store at all, count it a victory. 700/800 MHz may give you a few more dB's. But it's not going to be anywhere near the outside signal.

• Like 1

I don't know what you expect of LTE. I have AT&T B17 (700 MHz). There is a site next to a Walmart here in my city. Outside, I get a -82dBm RSRP on AT&T B17. I go inside Walmart. It drops to -115dBm RSRP. It's not as if there is some magical physics defying low frequency spectrum.

Low frequencies do help. But the big issue here is LTE has a fragile airlink. Going inside buildings is highly variable. So many different construction types.

Big box stores can be the worst with metal roof trusses, metal roof decks and lots of roof insulation. Especially in Northern climates. Match that with CMU, stucco or concrete tilt up walls, and that's the reason why LTE signals drop 30dBm or more going indoors. It's amazing they don't drop completely.

If you get a B25 signal inside a big box store at all, count it a victory. 700/800 MHz may give you a few more dB's. But it's not going to be anywhere near the outside signal.

Yep thats why i stated that it seems to be mostly buildings with metal roofs. i should add that older buildings with thicker concreet or brick walls dont help either.

But i was doing some driving when the first tower went live in lima and i was easily able to hold onto the signal way way into the country where EVDO would bounce off 3 other towers i held onto the same LTE signal from the middle of lima.

For now they probably have the tilt on the antennas set for maximum area coverage rather than building penetration. if anything changes i will of course update this thread but supposedly the 2 towers on the eastern side of lima are not broadcasting yet so i dont think they will mess with the antennas until the 2 other towers are up.

if my post sounded a bit fussy its not really what i was going for sprint did what it could with what it had to work with and they cant do anymore for now. i cant help that but i can appreciate that sprint even thought to upgrade lima in the first place.

• Like 1

I believe it has something to do with the triband phones as i stated early i just switched from my s4 to an s5 and I'll be honest here the lte signal is terrible unless I'm within 50 yards of a tower, i was connected to band 41 out in rossford for a minute and was great signal next to the tower drove down road a bit -115db. In areas where i know lte used to be good on s4 im on 3g. I actually just use my phone for cdma only now because the connection for my lte is awful again this isnt a rant. But i am agreeing with other guys post on lte strength i understand inside a building but this is outside also, the s4 ran on 1900 lte my s5 connected according to signal check to 2500 lte with bad signal then jumped back to 1900 full signal a couple yards down the road.

Just encoured a pretty good b41 tower.

Speedtest Result in Holland

My Speedtest result in Holland for Sprint (LTE) : 70.90 Mb/s (download) & 12.22 Mb/s (upload) via #sensorly

419055-SCHWING.jpg

But in all honesty probs wont happen in lima lol. the few towers i looked at only have a single antenna up for sprint in each sectory. that is if i think i know what i am looking at. i mean verizon is doing like 4 panels per sector AT&T also uses more than 1 panel so it has to be sprint right?

• 3 weeks later...

Well after 1 year 5 months and 3 days, my tower is LTE accepted. Tower located near downtown Sylvania.... Happy dance

Sweet! That should be a big improvement.

As fall has turned to winter, I have seen quite a few improvements signal and speed-wise. IDK if that's optimizing on Sprint's part or just the leaves being gone or something crazy like that?

Now they just need to LTE accept the one near Sylvania and Corey and I'll be all set!

• Like 1

Sweet! That should be a big improvement.

As fall has turned to winter, I have seen quite a few improvements signal and speed-wise. IDK if that's optimizing on Sprint's part or just the leaves being gone or something crazy like that?

Now they just need to LTE accept the one near Sylvania and Corey and I'll be all set!

I've noticed some range increase in the towers around Point Place.  I'm afraid it may be the lack of leaves as well :(

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the right place to bring this up, but anyone else have audio issues on incoming calls?  It's been happening to me more and more lately and I don't know if it's the upgrades that have been going on in Toledo or some other reason. 

Just realized I need to renew my sponsorship as well, better get on that.

Not sure if this is the right place to bring this up, but anyone else have audio issues on incoming calls? It's been happening to me more and more lately and I don't know if it's the upgrades that have been going on in Toledo or some other reason.

Just realized I need to renew my sponsorship as well, better get on that.

I myself havnt noticed anything of late. There shouldn't be any major issues with tower upgrades as there is the tower over on corey and 475 is the only one left that does not have LTE. Wishfull thinking is they are working on 800. Maybe by summer.

I myself havnt noticed anything of late. There shouldn't be any major issues with tower upgrades as there is the tower over on corey and 475 is the only one left that does not have LTE. Wishfull thinking is they are working on 800. Maybe by summer.

Nope. Late 2h 2015 is still the time frame.
  • Like 1

Thanks. Sprint is now telling me it seems to be a Buckeye Telesystem issue... hopefully that is the caseand hopefully it gets fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

Was on my way home from work, and I had looked down at my phone and it was connected to LTE. I was in utter surprise! I haven't been keeping up with updates specially on sprints network page. It's nice to at least see Leipsic getting 4g! And it's only about 10 mins away from me did a speed test with only two bars and was pretty happy with the results!

image.jpg

• Like 3

Random article i found showing sommore rollouts on Feb 19th (its the 18th now)

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/02/16/sprint-rolling-lte-25-new-markets-february-19th/

I have no idea if the last two towers in lima are up yet. havent been around them parts lately with work being up north. i wish the one guy who lived on the south side of lima would post on here with an updated. =/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just had to go drive around central/douglas and monroe/douglas when I saw a green tower there in the "NV Sites complete Map" thread. I did not connect to 800 :(

Bummer.

I just had to go drive around central/douglas and monroe/douglas when I saw a green tower there in the "NV Sites complete Map" thread. I did not connect to 800 :(

If I don't get 1x800/b26 in Granville/Newark/Heath, then u don't get it either!

Never, no 1x800 or b26 besides towers on the south side.... Really stinks bc site spacing is poor and 3g and lte is unusable inside most restaurants & buildings.

I was just wondering once they are complete on the map (3g/800/4g---like newark/heath) how long before the sites go live.